Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: users

New User

 

 

ClamAV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


Chalonec.Roger at PBGC

Apr 21, 2004, 4:51 AM

Post #1 of 10 (822 views)
Permalink
New User

I am new to Fedora and so new to clamav. Can someone provide me with
the easiest way to download, install, and run clamav? I am interested
in protecting inbound ftp file transfers and periodically scanning my
fedora system. I am not running samba nor NFS. Is there a way to
download and install via up2date? How do I get new virus profiles and
software updates? I am running fedora 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl (i386) on a
Pentium II 400Mhz.

Thanks in advance,

Roger


subscribed-lists at sterndata

Apr 21, 2004, 6:52 AM

Post #2 of 10 (801 views)
Permalink
Re: New User [In reply to]

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:45:53 -0400, "Chalonec Roger" <Chalonec.Roger [at] PBGC>
wrote:

>I am new to Fedora and so new to clamav. Can someone provide me with
>the easiest way to download, install, and run clamav? I am interested
>in protecting inbound ftp file transfers and periodically scanning my
>fedora system. I am not running samba nor NFS. Is there a way to
>download and install via up2date? How do I get new virus profiles and
>software updates? I am running fedora 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl (i386) on a
>Pentium II 400Mhz.
>

Get the binaries at http://www.clamav.net/binary.html#pagestart. I used the
ones from crash-hat. There are also instructions on how to add the crash-hat
repository to up2date.
--
Steve


Chalonec.Roger at PBGC

Apr 22, 2004, 6:09 AM

Post #3 of 10 (802 views)
Permalink
RE: New User [In reply to]

Thanks...

-----Original Message-----
From: clamav-users-admin [at] lists
[mailto:clamav-users-admin [at] lists] On Behalf Of Steven
Stern
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:52 AM
To: clamav-users [at] lists
Subject: Re: [Clamav-users] New User

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:45:53 -0400, "Chalonec Roger"
<Chalonec.Roger [at] PBGC>
wrote:

>I am new to Fedora and so new to clamav. Can someone provide me with
>the easiest way to download, install, and run clamav? I am interested
>in protecting inbound ftp file transfers and periodically scanning my
>fedora system. I am not running samba nor NFS. Is there a way to
>download and install via up2date? How do I get new virus profiles and
>software updates? I am running fedora 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl (i386) on a
>Pentium II 400Mhz.
>

Get the binaries at http://www.clamav.net/binary.html#pagestart. I used
the
ones from crash-hat. There are also instructions on how to add the
crash-hat
repository to up2date.
--
Steve



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials
Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of
GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system
administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id70&alloc_id638&op=click
_______________________________________________
Clamav-users mailing list
Clamav-users [at] lists
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clamav-users


ged at jubileegroup

Dec 1, 2011, 3:21 AM

Post #4 of 10 (791 views)
Permalink
Re: New user [In reply to]

Hi there,

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 pushpa gouder wrote:

> ... Is there a way to run clamav as daemon and scan only a folder?

The daemon scans what you tell it to scan. You tell it to scan things
using another tool, such as 'clamdscan' (for ad-hoc scanning of files,
directories and entire filesystems) or something like 'clamav-milter'
(for a mailserver scanning mail, on the fly, as it arrives).

When you first load clamav (no matter whether it's the daemon or not)
the time taken to load the virus definitions can be tens of seconds.
If you just want to scan one file, this might be a large fraction of
the total scan time. If you are for example running a mailserver, or
you are scanning things continually throughout the day, this startup
time might be a problem. This is why the daemon exists. It loads
virus definitions into memory, and then waits for something to do.
The downside is that, while it is running, the daemon uses up quite a
lot of memory.

You only really need to run the daemon if the startup time for loading
the virus definitions would be a practical problem. If for example
you are doing a one-off scan of a directory full of files, then you
don't need to run the daemon and you can just use the 'clamscan' tool
instead of 'clamdscan'.

--

73,
Ged.
_______________________________________________
Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml


gouder.pushpa at gmail

Dec 1, 2011, 7:53 AM

Post #5 of 10 (795 views)
Permalink
Re: New user [In reply to]

Thanks a lot, very helpful!. I have been researching about this for quite a
while now, If 'clamd' daemon does not scan anything why do they even have
options like "SCAN" "MULTISCAN" "INSTREAM"...etc in its man page, I am just
curious.

Pushpa

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 3:21 AM, G.W. Haywood <ged [at] jubileegroup> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 pushpa gouder wrote:
>
> > ... Is there a way to run clamav as daemon and scan only a folder?
>
> The daemon scans what you tell it to scan. You tell it to scan things
> using another tool, such as 'clamdscan' (for ad-hoc scanning of files,
> directories and entire filesystems) or something like 'clamav-milter'
> (for a mailserver scanning mail, on the fly, as it arrives).
>
> When you first load clamav (no matter whether it's the daemon or not)
> the time taken to load the virus definitions can be tens of seconds.
> If you just want to scan one file, this might be a large fraction of
> the total scan time. If you are for example running a mailserver, or
> you are scanning things continually throughout the day, this startup
> time might be a problem. This is why the daemon exists. It loads
> virus definitions into memory, and then waits for something to do.
> The downside is that, while it is running, the daemon uses up quite a
> lot of memory.
>
> You only really need to run the daemon if the startup time for loading
> the virus definitions would be a practical problem. If for example
> you are doing a one-off scan of a directory full of files, then you
> don't need to run the daemon and you can just use the 'clamscan' tool
> instead of 'clamdscan'.
>
> --
>
> 73,
> Ged.
> _______________________________________________
> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
> http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
>
_______________________________________________
Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml


Bowie_Bailey at BUC

Dec 1, 2011, 8:52 AM

Post #6 of 10 (791 views)
Permalink
Re: New user [In reply to]

On 12/1/2011 10:53 AM, pushpa gouder wrote:
> Thanks a lot, very helpful!. I have been researching about this for quite a
> while now, If 'clamd' daemon does not scan anything why do they even have
> options like "SCAN" "MULTISCAN" "INSTREAM"...etc in its man page, I am just
> curious.

Those are commands that can be sent to the daemon to tell it what to
scan. These commands are normally sent by the clamdscan program.

--
Bowie
_______________________________________________
Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml


gouder.pushpa at gmail

Dec 1, 2011, 4:02 PM

Post #7 of 10 (792 views)
Permalink
Re: New user [In reply to]

I have passed those arguments to clamd and put eicar.txt.com virus in that
SCAN folder. Nothing happened. But If I use clamsan/clamdscan on command
line it finds it.

#clamd -h

Clam AntiVirus Daemon 0.97.2
By The ClamAV Team: http://www.clamav.net/team
(C) 2007-2009 Sourcefire, Inc.

--help -h Show this help.
--version -V Show version number.
--debug Enable debug mode.
--config-file=FILE -c FILE Read configuration from FILE.

Also I don't see any of those options on the box but man page talks about
it.

Pushpa

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey [at] buc> wrote:

> On 12/1/2011 10:53 AM, pushpa gouder wrote:
> > Thanks a lot, very helpful!. I have been researching about this for
> quite a
> > while now, If 'clamd' daemon does not scan anything why do they even have
> > options like "SCAN" "MULTISCAN" "INSTREAM"...etc in its man page, I am
> just
> > curious.
>
> Those are commands that can be sent to the daemon to tell it what to
> scan. These commands are normally sent by the clamdscan program.
>
> --
> Bowie
> _______________________________________________
> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
> http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
>
_______________________________________________
Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml


dehaenp at drever

Dec 1, 2011, 11:36 PM

Post #8 of 10 (790 views)
Permalink
Re: New user [In reply to]

On 1 Dec 2011 at 7:53, pushpa gouder wrote:

> Thanks a lot, very helpful!. I have been researching about this for quite a
> while now, If 'clamd' daemon does not scan anything why do they even have
> options like "SCAN" "MULTISCAN" "INSTREAM"...etc in its man page, I am just
> curious.

Hi,

Read again the man page. These keywords are under the COMMANDS section, not under
OPTIONS. Commands are given via a UNIX and/or TCP socket.

Rgds,
Pierre


_______________________________________________
Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml


Bowie_Bailey at BUC

Dec 2, 2011, 11:47 AM

Post #9 of 10 (786 views)
Permalink
Re: New user [In reply to]

On 12/1/2011 7:02 PM, pushpa gouder wrote:
> I have passed those arguments to clamd and put eicar.txt.com virus in that
> SCAN folder. Nothing happened. But If I use clamsan/clamdscan on command
> line it finds it.
>
> #clamd -h
>
> Clam AntiVirus Daemon 0.97.2
> By The ClamAV Team: http://www.clamav.net/team
> (C) 2007-2009 Sourcefire, Inc.
>
> --help -h Show this help.
> --version -V Show version number.
> --debug Enable debug mode.
> --config-file=FILE -c FILE Read configuration from FILE.
>
> Also I don't see any of those options on the box but man page talks about
> it.

They are not options. They are commands that can be sent via the socket
by clamdscan or other programs that are capable of talking to clamd.
For an end user, you can completely ignore that section of the clamd man
page. Most of the clamd options you will be interested in are in the
config file.

If you want to scan a directory or a file, start clamd and then use
clamdscan to request the scan. Take a look at the clamdscan man page.

--
Bowie

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

_______________________________________________
Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml


gouder.pushpa at gmail

Dec 2, 2011, 1:05 PM

Post #10 of 10 (782 views)
Permalink
Re: New user [In reply to]

Got it, thanks so much!!

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey [at] buc> wrote:

> On 12/1/2011 7:02 PM, pushpa gouder wrote:
> > I have passed those arguments to clamd and put eicar.txt.com virus in
> that
> > SCAN folder. Nothing happened. But If I use clamsan/clamdscan on command
> > line it finds it.
> >
> > #clamd -h
> >
> > Clam AntiVirus Daemon 0.97.2
> > By The ClamAV Team: http://www.clamav.net/team
> > (C) 2007-2009 Sourcefire, Inc.
> >
> > --help -h Show this help.
> > --version -V Show version number.
> > --debug Enable debug mode.
> > --config-file=FILE -c FILE Read configuration from FILE.
> >
> > Also I don't see any of those options on the box but man page talks about
> > it.
>
> They are not options. They are commands that can be sent via the socket
> by clamdscan or other programs that are capable of talking to clamd.
> For an end user, you can completely ignore that section of the clamd man
> page. Most of the clamd options you will be interested in are in the
> config file.
>
> If you want to scan a directory or a file, start clamd and then use
> clamdscan to request the scan. Take a look at the clamdscan man page.
>
> --
> Bowie
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
>
> _______________________________________________
> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
> http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
>
_______________________________________________
Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

ClamAV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.