alvarnell at mac
Jun 16, 2011, 11:50 PM
Had a couple of US users who have complained about delays in updating their
defs which are obviously being caused by waiting on a couple of mirrors that
appear to have been down for several days.
- 18.104.22.168 clamav.df.lth.se at this writing has been down for 17 days.
- 22.214.171.124 clamav.theshell.com war recently added back to the list of
US mirrors and has been down ever since, over 10 days.
A typical log entry has dozens of entries that look like this:
nonblock_connect: connect timing out (30 secs)
Can't connect to port 80 of host database.clamav.net (IP: 126.96.36.199)
Yet when we check mirrors.dat it tells us:
Last access: Tue May 31 21:11:08 2011
This user has not inserted his country code. He is located in central US.
I have changed my freshclam.conf to include the US country code, but it
seems to make no difference.
I have been running "$ /Users/jvarnell/Desktop/\~Download/ClamXav\
Stuff/Check\ current\ database\ servers.command ; exit;"
periodically over the past three weeks and usually find one or both included
in my list of mirrors to check. At this moment, neither are.
So here are my questions of the day:
- How many days does a mirror have to be old or bad before it is taken off
the list of available servers? Put another way, when should I start asking
- Why are there so many (5) off-shore servers included in the list of
available US mirrors when there are 11 in-country servers?
- Why is a "connect timing out" error not considered a "Failure" for the
purpose of ignoring a server?
- How many failures before ignore?
- There have been issues with TheShell in the past and for awhile it was
taken off the list. Now it's been added back, but still doesn't seem to be
I have attempted to summarize my discussions, but there are many more
details with one of these users here
Mountain View, CA
Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net