Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: users

Disabling the bytecoder LLVM

ClamAV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

nicolas.dumont.perso at gmail

Disabling the bytecoder LLVM

Hello,

I've disabled the llvm for the libclamav compilation in order to reduce the
size of the lib.

I've read the .pdf bytecode user's manual, and I would like to know if the
bytecode is only for users
that want to make their own code for virus detection or would you add some
bytecode inside the database .cvd files
in the main or in the daily that you provide ?

I mean, by disabling the bytecode compiler, do I have the same behaviour
than the 0.95.3 clamav version ?
or I will miss some virus detection included in the next database .cvd files
?

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards,
Nicolas Dumont.
http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

edwintorok at gmail

Re: Disabling the bytecoder LLVM [In reply to]

On 04/26/2010 11:14 PM, nicolas dumont wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've disabled the llvm for the libclamav compilation in order to reduce the
> size of the lib.
>
> I've read the .pdf bytecode user's manual, and I would like to know if the
> bytecode is only for users
> that want to make their own code for virus detection or would you add some
> bytecode inside the database .cvd files
> in the main or in the daily that you provide ?

There is a bytecode.cvd, and we'll start using it shortly.

> I mean, by disabling the bytecode compiler, do I have the same behaviour
> than the 0.95.3 clamav version ?

No, the bytecode *interpreter* is still there (bytecode_vm.c), it is
written in C, and runs the bytecodes... just slower than the JIT would.

Best regards,
--Edwin

Re: Disabling the bytecoder LLVM [In reply to]

2010/4/26 Török Edwin <edwintorok [at] gmail>

> On 04/26/2010 11:14 PM, nicolas dumont wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've disabled the llvm for the libclamav compilation in order to reduce
> the
> > size of the lib.
> >
> > I've read the .pdf bytecode user's manual, and I would like to know if
> the
> > bytecode is only for users
> > that want to make their own code for virus detection or would you add
> some
> > bytecode inside the database .cvd files
> > in the main or in the daily that you provide ?
>
> There is a bytecode.cvd, and we'll start using it shortly.
>

> > I mean, by disabling the bytecode compiler, do I have the same behaviour
> > than the 0.95.3 clamav version ?
>
> No, the bytecode *interpreter* is still there (bytecode_vm.c), it is
> written in C, and runs the bytecodes... just slower than the JIT would.

You mean that, even if I've disabled the llvm in my binary of 1MBytes : if I
load the bytecode.cvd,
my binary would be able to run the bytecodes and detect viruses with it ?

but this will be done slower ?

bytecode.cvd size increase ? true ?