Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: users

(no subject)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All ClamAV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

math at mlists

Oct 5, 2004, 8:07 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

Shane Wise wrote:

> I just ran it against mine (.80rc3) and it worked pretty good...I did
> have the 2 come through...however I had 5 of them that I was getting the
>
> stream: Bad format or broken data ERROR message on them and my server
> was rejecting with a Milter: data, reject=451 4.3.2 Please try again
> later...

Would those happen to have been partial message tests?

Matt

math at mlists

Oct 5, 2004, 8:11 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

Brent Clark wrote:

> Only 6
> Which I suppose aint to bad, but still.
> But your right, because 5 were (more an Exim issue):

There are five that I know of which should definitely be picked up by
virus scanning, so that's about right. The rest are down to scanning, by
some other means, for attachments and exploitable message composition.

Matt

shane.wise at nashvilleweather

Oct 5, 2004, 8:27 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

May have been...looked like it was like eicar 1/5 through 5/5

Matt wrote:
> Shane Wise wrote:
>

>>I just ran it against mine (.80rc3) and it worked pretty good...I did
>>have the 2 come through...however I had 5 of them that I was getting the
>>
>>stream: Bad format or broken data ERROR message on them and my server
>>was rejecting with a Milter: data, reject=451 4.3.2 Please try again
>>later...
>>

> Would those happen to have been partial message tests?
>
> Matt

njh at bandsman

Oct 5, 2004, 8:42 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

On Tuesday 05 Oct 2004 16:27, Shane Wise wrote:
> May have been...looked like it was like eicar 1/5 through 5/5

I am uploading *TEST* code to handle this to CVS as we speak.

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325

njh at bandsman

Oct 5, 2004, 8:51 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

I wrote:

> I am uploading *TEST* code to handle this to CVS as we speak.

Yes, before anyone says it, I know I've been maintaining for sometime that
(a) it's not possible and (b) it's not the job of clamAV anyway. But I had a
brainwave on how to do it...

It is EXPERIMENTAL code, not compiled by default. Instructions for enabling
it are in the ChangeLog.

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK. ICQ#20252325
njh [at] despammed http://www.bandsman.co.uk

clamav-users at plumlee

Feb 25, 2005, 7:24 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

Daniel A. Deitch wrote:
> I have ClamAV 0.82 installed on a Verio VPSv2 FreeBSD server ... works fine ... scans, cleans, deletes ... the works.
>

> My problem is with freshclam ... the problem has been occurring since 0.80, 0.81, 0.82 and 0.82_1
>

> I have the following flag in my /etc/rc.conf file:
>
> clamav_freshclam_flags="--config-file=/usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf --checks=12 --datadir=/usr/local/share/clamav --daemon-notify=/usr/local/etc/clamav.conf --log=/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log"

I can't say for sure, but I've got the same setup and I've always
noticed that if I hadn't upgraded to the latest release yet, I would get
the same error messages in the log files after a certain period of time.
I assumed that the update servers were blacklisting IPs that had out
of date versions after a certain point, as they did when they required
you switch to the new DNS configuration options in the freshclam.conf
file around version .81 or so. Upgrading to the latest ported version
always got it working for me. Not much help, but that was what worked
for me.

tkojm at clamav

Feb 25, 2005, 7:30 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:24:46 -0500
Scott Plumee <clamav-users [at] plumlee> wrote:

> I can't say for sure, but I've got the same setup and I've always
> noticed that if I hadn't upgraded to the latest release yet, I would
> get the same error messages in the log files after a certain period of
> time.
> I assumed that the update servers were blacklisting IPs that had out
> of date versions after a certain point, as they did when they required

You're completely wrong.

--
oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm [at] clamav>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg

bdm at fenrir

Feb 25, 2005, 8:06 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:24:46 -0500 in 421F433E.6000500 [at] plumlee Scott
Plumee <clamav-users [at] plumlee> wrote:

> Daniel A. Deitch wrote:
> > I have ClamAV 0.82 installed on a Verio VPSv2 FreeBSD server ...
> > works fine ... scans, cleans, deletes ... the works.
> >

> > My problem is with freshclam ... the problem has been occurring
> > since 0.80, 0.81, 0.82 and 0.82_1
> >

> > I have the following flag in my /etc/rc.conf file:
> >
> > clamav_freshclam_flags="--config-file=/usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf
> > --checks=12 --datadir=/usr/local/share/clamav
> > --daemon-notify=/usr/local/etc/clamav.conf
> > --log=/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log"
>
> I can't say for sure, but I've got the same setup and I've always
> noticed that if I hadn't upgraded to the latest release yet, I would
> get the same error messages in the log files after a certain period of
> time.
> I assumed that the update servers were blacklisting IPs that had out
> of date versions after a certain point, as they did when they required
> you switch to the new DNS configuration options in the freshclam.conf
> file around version .81 or so. Upgrading to the latest ported version
> always got it working for me. Not much help, but that was what worked
> for me.

Looks to me like the OP has either an odd DNS problem or a permissions
problem somewhere. I think the upgrade advice has only worked by
coincidence.

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html

clamav-users at plumlee

Feb 25, 2005, 9:16 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

Tomasz Kojm wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:24:46 -0500
> Scott Plumee <clamav-users [at] plumlee> wrote:
>

>>I can't say for sure, but I've got the same setup and I've always
>>noticed that if I hadn't upgraded to the latest release yet, I would
>>get the same error messages in the log files after a certain period of
>>time.
>> I assumed that the update servers were blacklisting IPs that had out
>>of date versions after a certain point, as they did when they required
>

> You're completely wrong.

I learn something new every day <grin>. I've not put any time into
nailing down the problem, as the upgrade took care of it each time.
Thanks for the correction, and I'll see what I have set up incorrectly
and post back to the list for future use by anyone else. Terrific product.

clamav-users at plumlee

Feb 25, 2005, 9:47 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

Brian Morrison wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:24:46 -0500 in 421F433E.6000500 [at] plumlee Scott
> Plumee <clamav-users [at] plumlee> wrote:
>

>>Daniel A. Deitch wrote:
>>
>>>I have ClamAV 0.82 installed on a Verio VPSv2 FreeBSD server ...
>>>works fine ... scans, cleans, deletes ... the works.
>>>

>>>My problem is with freshclam ... the problem has been occurring
>>>since 0.80, 0.81, 0.82 and 0.82_1
>>>

>>>I have the following flag in my /etc/rc.conf file:
>>>
>>>clamav_freshclam_flags="--config-file=/usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf
>>>--checks=12 --datadir=/usr/local/share/clamav
>>>--daemon-notify=/usr/local/etc/clamav.conf
>>>--log=/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log"
>>
>>I can't say for sure, but I've got the same setup and I've always
>>noticed that if I hadn't upgraded to the latest release yet, I would
>>get the same error messages in the log files after a certain period of
>>time.
>> I assumed that the update servers were blacklisting IPs that had out
>>of date versions after a certain point, as they did when they required
>>you switch to the new DNS configuration options in the freshclam.conf
>>file around version .81 or so. Upgrading to the latest ported version
>>always got it working for me. Not much help, but that was what worked
>>for me.
>

> Looks to me like the OP has either an odd DNS problem or a permissions
> problem somewhere. I think the upgrade advice has only worked by
> coincidence.

You were correct. I have not set permissions on the /var/db/clamav
directory to be writeable by the user clamav was running as. Enabled
verbose logging, saw the problem, made the change, and now I'm happy as
a clam.

I should probably get kicked off the list for that pun. Thanks again
for the help.

daniel at goitrain

Feb 25, 2005, 11:43 AM

RE: (no subject) [In reply to]

That would explain why root can update, but not the clamav user.

I'll try that and see what happens.

Thanks.

Daniel

________________________________

Daniel A. Deitch, President * iTrain Technologies, Ltd.
po box 13833 * atlanta, ga 30324-0833 * 404-876-1929 (o)
404-935-5005 (f) * www.goitrain.com

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:24:46 -0500 in 421F433E.6000500 [at] plumlee
Scott
> Plumee <clamav-users [at] plumlee> wrote:
>

>>Daniel A. Deitch wrote:
>>
>>>I have ClamAV 0.82 installed on a Verio VPSv2 FreeBSD server ...
>>>works fine ... scans, cleans, deletes ... the works.
>>>

>>>My problem is with freshclam ... the problem has been occurring
>>>since 0.80, 0.81, 0.82 and 0.82_1
>>>

>>>I have the following flag in my /etc/rc.conf file:
>>>
>>>clamav_freshclam_flags="--config-file=/usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf
>>>--checks=12 --datadir=/usr/local/share/clamav
>>>--daemon-notify=/usr/local/etc/clamav.conf
>>>--log=/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log"
>>
>>I can't say for sure, but I've got the same setup and I've always
>>noticed that if I hadn't upgraded to the latest release yet, I would
>>get the same error messages in the log files after a certain period of
>>time.
>> I assumed that the update servers were blacklisting IPs that had out
>>of date versions after a certain point, as they did when they required
>>you switch to the new DNS configuration options in the freshclam.conf
>>file around version .81 or so. Upgrading to the latest ported version
>>always got it working for me. Not much help, but that was what worked
>>for me.
>

> Looks to me like the OP has either an odd DNS problem or a permissions
> problem somewhere. I think the upgrade advice has only worked by
> coincidence.

You were correct. I have not set permissions on the /var/db/clamav
directory to be writeable by the user clamav was running as. Enabled
verbose logging, saw the problem, made the change, and now I'm happy as
a clam.

I should probably get kicked off the list for that pun. Thanks again
for the help.

daniel at goitrain

Feb 25, 2005, 6:48 PM

RE: (no subject) [In reply to]

Ok. Checked the permissions and it still doesn't want to work. I'm
trying to upgrade to 0.83 (having a problem with that too apparently),
but this problem has been happening through multiple versions now.

Can someone give me specifics to check .. just in case I'm being an
idiot and didn't check what I needed to.

Thanks,

Daniel

________________________________

Daniel A. Deitch, President * iTrain Technologies, Ltd.
po box 13833 * atlanta, ga 30324-0833 * 404-876-1929 (o)
404-935-5005 (f) * www.goitrain.com

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:24:46 -0500 in 421F433E.6000500 [at] plumlee
Scott
> Plumee <clamav-users [at] plumlee> wrote:
>

>>Daniel A. Deitch wrote:
>>
>>>I have ClamAV 0.82 installed on a Verio VPSv2 FreeBSD server ...
>>>works fine ... scans, cleans, deletes ... the works.
>>>

>>>My problem is with freshclam ... the problem has been occurring
>>>since 0.80, 0.81, 0.82 and 0.82_1
>>>

>>>I have the following flag in my /etc/rc.conf file:
>>>
>>>clamav_freshclam_flags="--config-file=/usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf
>>>--checks=12 --datadir=/usr/local/share/clamav
>>>--daemon-notify=/usr/local/etc/clamav.conf
>>>--log=/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log"
>>
>>I can't say for sure, but I've got the same setup and I've always
>>noticed that if I hadn't upgraded to the latest release yet, I would
>>get the same error messages in the log files after a certain period of
>>time.
>> I assumed that the update servers were blacklisting IPs that had out
>>of date versions after a certain point, as they did when they required
>>you switch to the new DNS configuration options in the freshclam.conf
>>file around version .81 or so. Upgrading to the latest ported version
>>always got it working for me. Not much help, but that was what worked
>>for me.
>

> Looks to me like the OP has either an odd DNS problem or a permissions
> problem somewhere. I think the upgrade advice has only worked by
> coincidence.

You were correct. I have not set permissions on the /var/db/clamav
directory to be writeable by the user clamav was running as. Enabled
verbose logging, saw the problem, made the change, and now I'm happy as
a clam.

I should probably get kicked off the list for that pun. Thanks again
for the help.

dennispe at inetnw

Feb 25, 2005, 10:58 PM

RE: (no subject) [In reply to]

Daniel A. Deitch said:
> That would explain why root can update, but not the clamav user.
>
> I'll try that and see what happens.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Daniel

Piggybacking - don't take offense...

Is there a possibility there could be separate ClamAV mail lists for Linux
and Windows newbies, and another for Email professionals? I can't be the
only one who senses a need.

dp

clamav-users at plumlee

Feb 26, 2005, 7:28 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

Daniel A. Deitch wrote:
> Ok. Checked the permissions and it still doesn't want to work. I'm
> trying to upgrade to 0.83 (having a problem with that too apparently),
> but this problem has been happening through multiple versions now.
>
> Can someone give me specifics to check .. just in case I'm being an
> idiot and didn't check what I needed to.

Just suggestions:

Check that the user/group that clamav runs under is the owner of the
freshclam.conf and clamd.conf files in /usr/local/etc, as well as the db
files (sounds like you already did that).

Enable the verbose logging in the conf files.

Make sure that the log files and the pid files already exist.

I don't have my notes from the last installation so I can't remember
what else. Did you run a make deinstall before installing the current
version port, or was this not a port install? I had kepy my old conf
files and I didn't have everything correct in there. Deleted those and
used the default conf files as a start, made my adjustments, and
everything worked.

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy

Feb 28, 2005, 5:09 AM

RE: Clueless Newbies [was: (no subject)] [In reply to]

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 22:58 -0800, Dennis Peterson wrote:

> Is there a possibility there could be separate ClamAV mail lists for Linux
> and Windows newbies, and another for Email professionals? I can't be the
> only one who senses a need.

I'd recommend against splitting:

1. Who is going to sign up for clamav-clueless-newbie?

2. Part of your responsibility in using open source tools is to provide
support to others. That's a key difference between an open-source model
and a proprietary model: nobody pays for support, so everyone who does
have a clue is responsible for providing it. That's also how we keep
the developers focused on the task of keeping clamav the best
virus-protection in the world - by offloading the job of educating
newcomers to those of us who aren't involved in the development.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald [at] austinenergy

There are many things a user should never C.

evan at pierce

Feb 28, 2005, 5:46 AM

RE: Clueless Newbies [was: (no subject)] [In reply to]

> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 22:58 -0800, Dennis Peterson wrote:
>

>> Is there a possibility there could be separate ClamAV mail lists for
>> Linux
>> and Windows newbies, and another for Email professionals? I can't be the
>> only one who senses a need.
>
> I'd recommend against splitting:
>
> 1. Who is going to sign up for clamav-clueless-newbie?

I can confirm that this has been the bane of many lug lists I have been on
- you split the list normally into technical and chat sections, all the
newbies sit on chat and all the knowledge sits in technical. What normally
happens is 3 months down the line the technical list is fully subscribed
and the chat list falls away.

thanks
Evan

dennispe at inetnw

Feb 28, 2005, 8:36 AM

RE: Clueless Newbies [was: (no subject)] [In reply to]

Daniel J McDonald said:
> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 22:58 -0800, Dennis Peterson wrote:
>

>> Is there a possibility there could be separate ClamAV mail lists for
>> Linux
>> and Windows newbies, and another for Email professionals? I can't be the
>> only one who senses a need.
>
> I'd recommend against splitting:
>
> 1. Who is going to sign up for clamav-clueless-newbie?
>
> 2. Part of your responsibility in using open source tools is to provide
> support to others. That's a key difference between an open-source model
> and a proprietary model: nobody pays for support, so everyone who does
> have a clue is responsible for providing it. That's also how we keep
> the developers focused on the task of keeping clamav the best
> virus-protection in the world - by offloading the job of educating
> newcomers to those of us who aren't involved in the development.
>
> --
> Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX
> Austin Energy

I'm not buying it, and to infer the list for the inexperienced admin be
named something offensive is absurd. I think you're pulling my chain,
there, Daniel. A new list, Clamav-Advanced, on the other hand, could be
self-filtering. But not likley to happen. So I'll suggest what I suggested
on the old VNC list: voluntarily place [Windows] or [Linux] or [BSD], etc
in the subject line so we can pre-filter what is not important to each of
us. I'm certain Windows users' eyes roll back in their heads when some
heavy Solaris discussions are going on, and if I never read about a
stunned and helpless admin who can't find an RPM distro of the latest
release of ClamAV again I'll be one happy camper.

There isn't time to wade through all the jabber about OS specific topics
for which I am not the solution nor an interested party. It is a simple
matter of efficiency and goes to effectivity as well.

dp

dennispe at inetnw

Feb 28, 2005, 8:43 AM

RE: Clueless Newbies [was: (no subject)] [In reply to]

evan [at] pierce said:
>> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 22:58 -0800, Dennis Peterson wrote:
>>

>>> Is there a possibility there could be separate ClamAV mail lists for
>>> Linux
>>> and Windows newbies, and another for Email professionals? I can't be
>>> the
>>> only one who senses a need.
>>
>> I'd recommend against splitting:
>>
>> 1. Who is going to sign up for clamav-clueless-newbie?
>>

> I can confirm that this has been the bane of many lug lists I have been on
> - you split the list normally into technical and chat sections, all the
> newbies sit on chat and all the knowledge sits in technical. What normally
> happens is 3 months down the line the technical list is fully subscribed
> and the chat list falls away.
>
> thanks
> Evan

This is a list administration problem, not a user problem. That's why the
clue bat was invented.

dp

betsy.schwartz at gmail

Feb 28, 2005, 11:30 AM

Re: Clueless Newbies [was: (no subject)] [In reply to]

I'd like to see one list, for similar reasons. I run Solaris but I can
see that a lot of folks here run Linux, and if they were on a separate
list probably all their general Q&A's would end up on that list, and
I'd end up reading it anyway. And if most of the users migrated over
there, it would be harder to ask questions on the Solaris list. It's
often hard to tell whether something is an OS-specific question
anyway.

mattf at bauchan

Mar 1, 2005, 5:52 AM

Re: Clueless Newbies [was: (no subject)] [In reply to]

Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:

> I'd like to see one list, for similar reasons. I run Solaris but I can
> see that a lot of folks here run Linux, and if they were on a separate
> list probably all their general Q&A's would end up on that list, and
> I'd end up reading it anyway. And if most of the users migrated over
> there, it would be harder to ask questions on the Solaris list. It's
> often hard to tell whether something is an OS-specific question
> anyway.

Personally, I totally agree :)

With regards to Dennis's reply, (relevant section below):

> There isn't time to wade through all the jabber about OS specific topics
> for which I am not the solution nor an interested party. It is a simple
> matter of efficiency and goes to effectivity as well.

No offense intended, but the above is a very blinkered opinion. What you
think is relevant, or irrelevant for that matter, is your opinion, and
different for each person.

I run BSD, and have no interest in Linux specific problems, but that
does not mean that there is no information to be gleaned from reading
a post which has a problem affecting a Linux system. A problem tends to be
a problem, irrelevant of OS type, in a majority of cases, and to 'split'
anything, list wise, would be nothing short of a crime, with regards to
knowledge building.

You do not have to wade through anything. The first post on a subject
gives you an indication of the topic. If it is a subject of no interest, I
am sure you have a keyboard with a delete key like the rest of us for the
replies to that thread.

Efficiency and effectiveness obviously have vastly different meanings in
my book to yours.

Matt

dennispe at inetnw

Mar 1, 2005, 6:23 AM

Re: Clueless Newbies [was: (no subject)] [In reply to]

Matt Fretwell said:
> Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see one list, for similar reasons. I run Solaris but I can
>> see that a lot of folks here run Linux, and if they were on a separate
>> list probably all their general Q&A's would end up on that list, and
>> I'd end up reading it anyway. And if most of the users migrated over
>> there, it would be harder to ask questions on the Solaris list. It's
>> often hard to tell whether something is an OS-specific question
>> anyway.
>
> Personally, I totally agree :)
>
> With regards to Dennis's reply, (relevant section below):
>
>> There isn't time to wade through all the jabber about OS specific topics
>> for which I am not the solution nor an interested party. It is a simple
>> matter of efficiency and goes to effectivity as well.
>
> No offense intended, but the above is a very blinkered opinion. What you
> think is relevant, or irrelevant for that matter, is your opinion, and
> different for each person.

And what is quoted of what I said is totally out of context. I never
suggested to break up the list into os-oriented lists. I suggested a
second list for advanced users, but I also suggested that was unlikely to
happen but we could voluntarily add a tag to the subject line that
indicates the OS, such as [windows]. With that in place I would cheerfully
delete it and the entire thread. It is otherwise harmless to everyone else
in the world. How bad is that?

> I run BSD, and have no interest in Linux specific problems, but that
> does not mean that there is no information to be gleaned from reading
> a post which has a problem affecting a Linux system. A problem tends to be
> a problem, irrelevant of OS type, in a majority of cases, and to 'split'
> anything, list wise, would be nothing short of a crime, with regards to
> knowledge building.

I give it a 10 for drama. As for problems, please observe the great many
repeat questions from newbies regarding sources of rmp files, "my
freshclam log says my version is out of date - is my version out of date
then??", questions about winclam, cygwin, etc. These are related to
experience, or lack of it, or subjects that have no value to me and my
environment, and it is these that I'd like to avoid if possible.

> You do not have to wade through anything. The first post on a subject
> gives you an indication of the topic. If it is a subject of no interest, I
> am sure you have a keyboard with a delete key like the rest of us for the
> replies to that thread.

Reading this list daily from a variety of systems and using elm, webmail,
etc. as I do there is not always a first post from a thread on a given
day. In fact it would be very rare. On that point, btw, the threading on
the nntp server is pretty wacked, so you never know what you're going to
find in a thread.

> Efficiency and effectiveness obviously have vastly different meanings in
> my book to yours.

We work in different worlds, Matt. We will just have to agree as gentlemen
to disagree.

dp

mattf at bauchan

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

Dwayne Hottinger wrote:

> Viruses are being detected. clamd is running. The mails are being
> processed correctly through procmail. Its just this particular virus
> that isnt getting detected (Trojan.Ascetic.C). Sorry to be so vague.
> Its my first post to the list. If any more info is needed just let me
> know. Im just wondering why the emails arent getting flagged.

Have you tried it with the online-scanner, to see if that detects it?

http://test-clamav.power-netz.de/

Matt

dennispe at inetnw

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

Dwayne Hottinger said:
> So sorry,
> Viruses are being detected. clamd is running. The mails are being
> processed
> correctly through procmail. Its just this particular virus that isnt
> getting
> detected (Trojan.Ascetic.C). Sorry to be so vague. Its my first post to
> the
> list. If any more info is needed just let me know. Im just wondering why
> the
> emails arent getting flagged.

Is it possible you are configured so that you are not scanning files above
a certain size and that this file is above that size?

dp

bdm at fenrir

Oct 9, 2005, 6:50 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 05:42:26 -0700 (PDT) in
48932.192.168.1.1.1128861746.squirrel [at] mail
webmaster [at] kf6plh wrote:

> I am running Fedora Core 4. I have been trying to upgrade my clamav
> from ver 86.2 to 87.1 for a while now. When I use yum with the
> crash-hat repo it installs fine but then I have problems with my email
> server. I look for the clamd.conf file and it is not there in /etc. I
> check to see if clamd is running, it is not. I try to restart clamd,
> it tells me bad command. I then uninstall clamav 87 and reinstall 86
> and every thing is fine. If I download the rpm directly and open it
> with an archive manager I do not see clamd.conf any where.

If you look at the Crash Hat repository you'll see that there is also a
clamav-server rpm for 0.87, you need to install this as well as the
clamav rpm as it contains the clamd.conf file and the init.d scripts for
clamd as well as the logrotate files.

I don't know when Petr changed this, but that's what is there now.

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html

webmaster at kf6plh

Oct 9, 2005, 9:45 AM

Re: (no subject) [In reply to]

> On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 05:42:26 -0700 (PDT) in
> 48932.192.168.1.1.1128861746.squirrel [at] mail
> webmaster [at] kf6plh wrote:
>
>> I am running Fedora Core 4. I have been trying to upgrade my clamav
>> from ver 86.2 to 87.1 for a while now. When I use yum with the
>> crash-hat repo it installs fine but then I have problems with my email
>> server. I look for the clamd.conf file and it is not there in /etc. I
>> check to see if clamd is running, it is not. I try to restart clamd,
>> it tells me bad command. I then uninstall clamav 87 and reinstall 86
>> and every thing is fine. If I download the rpm directly and open it
>> with an archive manager I do not see clamd.conf any where.
>
> If you look at the Crash Hat repository you'll see that there is also a
> clamav-server rpm for 0.87, you need to install this as well as the
> clamav rpm as it contains the clamd.conf file and the init.d scripts for
> clamd as well as the logrotate files.
>
> I don't know when Petr changed this, but that's what is there now.
>
> --
>
> Brian Morrison
>
> bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk
>
> GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html
> http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-users.html

That was it!!

I am a bit confused. In his repository's the only version of Fedora to use
this server rpm is FC4.

Oh well!
Thanks Brian

Ken