Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: users

Freshclam: Can't Open /[logfile] in append Mode

ClamAV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

michael at prismbiz

Oct 17, 2004, 3:54 PM

Freshclam: Can't Open /[logfile] in append Mode

I have clamav 0.75.1 on FC2. As root, when I run the command freshclam (no
options at all), I get:

ERROR: Can't open /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log in append mode.
ERROR: Problem with internal logger.

The permissions of what I would think is relevant are as follows:

drwxrwxr-x 2 clamav clamav 4096 Oct 17 18:13 /var/log/clamav
-rw-r--r-- 1 clamav logs 768 Oct 17 18:46 /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log

Of course, when I run the command
# freshclam -u root
it all works fine.

I don't understand what is wrong with the permissions I've got, or if that's
not it, what my problem is.

m.reidenbach at everytruckjob

Oct 17, 2004, 4:05 PM

Re: Freshclam: Can't Open /[logfile] in append Mode [In reply to]

Hi Mike. I can recreate this problem if I don't have execute
permissions on /var/log. If you do a "chmod o+x /var/log" I bet the
problem will go away.

Regards,
Mark Reidenbach

Mike McCandless wrote:

>I have clamav 0.75.1 on FC2. As root, when I run the command freshclam (no
>options at all), I get:
>
>ERROR: Can't open /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log in append mode.
>ERROR: Problem with internal logger.
>
>The permissions of what I would think is relevant are as follows:
>
>drwxrwxr-x 2 clamav clamav 4096 Oct 17 18:13 /var/log/clamav
>-rw-r--r-- 1 clamav logs 768 Oct 17 18:46 /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
>
>Of course, when I run the command
># freshclam -u root
>it all works fine.
>
>I don't understand what is wrong with the permissions I've got, or if that's
>not it, what my problem is.

michael at prismbiz

Oct 17, 2004, 4:08 PM

Re: Freshclam: Can't Open /[logfile] in append Mode [In reply to]

Bingo. What an easy change. Thanks for the quick reply.