Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: ClamAV: devel

Can I join the Mac dev of clamAV

 

 

ClamAV devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


boyd.yang at gmail

Apr 4, 2012, 7:58 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1236 views)
Permalink
Can I join the Mac dev of clamAV

Hi Guys,

Cay I join the Mac Dev of clamav?
How can I know something about Mac dev of clamav?

Thanks!
_______________________________________________
http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-devel.html
Please submit your patches to our Bugzilla: http://bugs.clamav.net


tkojm at clamav

Apr 4, 2012, 8:50 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1185 views)
Permalink
Re: Can I join the Mac dev of clamAV [In reply to]

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 22:58:01 +0800 boyd yang <boyd.yang [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Cay I join the Mac Dev of clamav?
> How can I know something about Mac dev of clamav?

Hi,

are you a mac developer? Have you ever played with ClamAV on OS X?

Regards,

--
oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm [at] clamav>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
\..........._ 0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
//\ /\ Wed Apr 4 17:48:26 CEST 2012
_______________________________________________
http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-devel.html
Please submit your patches to our Bugzilla: http://bugs.clamav.net


boyd.yang at gmail

Apr 5, 2012, 8:29 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1184 views)
Permalink
Re: Can I join the Mac dev of clamAV [In reply to]

Yes, I have been developing on Mac for years.

I built the clamav and examined the ClamAuth on 10.7.3. It works.
I think we can add a system tray icon on up-right cormer of Desktop, and
pop up window for on-access virus.
An installer is also needed.

>Thu Apr 5 23:21:49 2012 -> ClamAuth: /Applications/clam_ISmsi_ext
copy.exe: ClamAV-Test-File FOUND
>Thu Apr 5 23:21:49 2012 -> ClamAuth: /Applications/clam_ISmsi_ext
copy.exe: ClamAV-Test-File FOUND


On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Tomasz Kojm <tkojm [at] clamav> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 22:58:01 +0800 boyd yang <boyd.yang [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Cay I join the Mac Dev of clamav?
> > How can I know something about Mac dev of clamav?
>
> Hi,
>
> are you a mac developer? Have you ever played with ClamAV on OS X?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm [at] clamav>
> (\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
> \..........._ 0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
> //\ /\ Wed Apr 4 17:48:26 CEST 2012
> _______________________________________________
> http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-devel.html
> Please submit your patches to our Bugzilla: http://bugs.clamav.net
>
_______________________________________________
http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-devel.html
Please submit your patches to our Bugzilla: http://bugs.clamav.net


tkojm at clamav

Apr 5, 2012, 9:09 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1181 views)
Permalink
Re: Can I join the Mac dev of clamAV [In reply to]

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 23:29:53 +0800 boyd yang <boyd.yang [at] gmail> wrote:
> Yes, I have been developing on Mac for years.

Cool!

> I built the clamav and examined the ClamAuth on 10.7.3. It works.
> I think we can add a system tray icon on up-right cormer of Desktop, and
> pop up window for on-access virus.
> An installer is also needed.
>
>> Thu Apr 5 23:21:49 2012 -> ClamAuth: /Applications/clam_ISmsi_ext
> copy.exe: ClamAV-Test-File FOUND
>> Thu Apr 5 23:21:49 2012 -> ClamAuth: /Applications/clam_ISmsi_ext
> copy.exe: ClamAV-Test-File FOUND

In clamd.conf you can enable the VirusEvent directive and point it to
some shell script. Whenever clamd finds a virus, it'll call that script
and set up two environment variables:

$CLAM_VIRUSEVENT_FILENAME -> path to infected file
$CLAM_VIRUSEVENT_VIRUSNAME -> virus name

I think a script that integrates with Growl would be a good start!

Thanks,

--
oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm [at] clamav>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
\..........._ 0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
//\ /\ Thu Apr 5 18:06:10 CEST 2012
_______________________________________________
http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-devel.html
Please submit your patches to our Bugzilla: http://bugs.clamav.net


dale at daleenterprise

Apr 7, 2012, 2:03 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1183 views)
Permalink
Re: Can I join the Mac dev of clamAV [In reply to]

On Apr 04, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Tomasz Kojm wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 22:58:01 +0800 boyd yang <boyd.yang [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Cay I join the Mac Dev of clamav?
>> How can I know something about Mac dev of clamav?
>
> Hi,
>
> are you a mac developer? Have you ever played with ClamAV on OS X?
>
> Regards,

Some people claim to be a Mac developer and after examination of some
of the builds they provide, it is clear they are nothing more than
people with the ability to compile software on Mac OS X who posses a
little programming knowledge and very limited programming skill.

While I think it is great that someone wishes to help in the Mac
development department and I hope they bring their A-game because
nothing annoys me more than having to rebuild something for someone
else because the binaries they downloaded weren't built properly and
this in turn reflect a poor reputation of the ClamAV developers for
allowing such software to be released/distributed based on the
implication that it endorses the binary distribution.

My early 10.4.x work can be seen at:
http://www.daleenterprise.com/info.php#module_clamav
http://www.daleenterprise.com/clamav_test.php <-- live test
http://www.daleenterprise.com/clamav_info.php

Recent work to support my clients still running 10.5.x can be seen at
http://www.convertit2mac.com/info.php#module_clamav
http://www.convertit2mac.com/clamav_test.php <-- live test
http://www.daleenterprise.com/clamav_info.php

An installer package can be downloaded from http://
www.daleenterprise.com/ClamAV-0.97.4.tar.gz for those Mac ClamAV
developers who wish to examine the binaries for possible information
which can be extracted from the binaries and support files, better
for someone to download and distribute rather than passing out the
link, it will remain available for about 30 days.

Clearly you can see that I am more than capable of building the
software properly and having access to internal apple resources does
help ensure these binaries are OS environment compliant, I just don't
have the time to commit to development work but this doesn't mean I
can't spend some time checking out builds before they are released if
you intend to provide binaries for Mac OS X and hopefully the support
will be for multiple OS versions and architectures rather than only
the latest OS version.

When I built the binaries I modified the build scripts to make use of
special features of the ADE (Apple Developer Environment) so that I
could build for multiple architectures while targeting specific
environments during the compiling/linking phases to avoid cross
contamination during the build process, what this means is that when
it compiles for arch ppc it compiles it in a ppc environment, when
compiling in ppc64 is compiles this code in a ppc64 environment, when
compiling in i386 is compiles this code in a i386 environment, when
compiling in x86_64 is compiles this code in a x86_64 environment and
these environments are not aware of each other or the differences
between them, essentially the ADE is 4 separate OS environments
accessible through a common gateway, each architecture is
simultaneously built in it's environment then joined as a single
binary, kinda like building on 4 separate machines then using lipo
but much more complicated.

These binaries have been built in the ADE (Apple Developer
Environment) and as such are guaranteed to be OS environment
compliant, not compiled on an intel machine for a ppc build using
multiple architectures or a PowerPC machine for an intel build using
multiple architectures, the later does provide an acceptable
alternative build if you modify some files to alter the build process
for other architectures and you can get pretty damn close to an ADE
build.

Currently ClamAV does not support architecture endian compensation
compiling and this compensation is easy to add and it also does not
properly support 32 and 64 bit builds due to the method used to
calculate the size of things such as longs (as an example try
configuring with CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -arch ppc64 -arch
x86_64") but shouldn't be too difficult to compensate for this based
on the compiling architecture.

Providing binaries while a nice concept for the lazy, it has many
pitfalls IMO, I believe it is better to provide a script which builds
the software properly, this allows people to apply modifications and
patches to the source and compile it knowing it will work properly
and provide the correct results, again, this is just my opinion.


-- Dale
Attachments: PGP.sig (0.18 KB)


boyd.yang at gmail

Apr 7, 2012, 9:04 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1183 views)
Permalink
Re: Can I join the Mac dev of clamAV [In reply to]

I studied the ClamAuth driver code.
It's one-way notification now.

Yes, Growl can be used for the one-way notification.

There maybe the case that the virus file runs for few seconds before the
clamd quarantines or deletes it.

The Mac's kernel authentication has another advantage which is not used in
the driver, the open/execute action of virus file can be refused in the
driver before its running, like DazukoFS or fanotify.

So a two-way communication is needed, driver get response from user about
whether to accept or refuse the file operation.

Fanotify is one part of Linux kernel (>2.6?), which filter file access and
refuse or accept it. I once raise a bug of it:
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1110.1/00292.html.
I think we can use fanotify on Linux too, then it becomes driverless.



On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Tomasz Kojm <tkojm [at] clamav> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 23:29:53 +0800 boyd yang <boyd.yang [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Yes, I have been developing on Mac for years.
>
> Cool!
>
> > I built the clamav and examined the ClamAuth on 10.7.3. It works.
> > I think we can add a system tray icon on up-right cormer of Desktop, and
> > pop up window for on-access virus.
> > An installer is also needed.
> >
> >> Thu Apr 5 23:21:49 2012 -> ClamAuth: /Applications/clam_ISmsi_ext
> > copy.exe: ClamAV-Test-File FOUND
> >> Thu Apr 5 23:21:49 2012 -> ClamAuth: /Applications/clam_ISmsi_ext
> > copy.exe: ClamAV-Test-File FOUND
>
> In clamd.conf you can enable the VirusEvent directive and point it to
> some shell script. Whenever clamd finds a virus, it'll call that script
> and set up two environment variables:
>
> $CLAM_VIRUSEVENT_FILENAME -> path to infected file
> $CLAM_VIRUSEVENT_VIRUSNAME -> virus name
>
> I think a script that integrates with Growl would be a good start!
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm [at] clamav>
> (\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
> \..........._ 0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
> //\ /\ Thu Apr 5 18:06:10 CEST 2012
> _______________________________________________
> http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-devel.html
> Please submit your patches to our Bugzilla: http://bugs.clamav.net
>
_______________________________________________
http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-devel.html
Please submit your patches to our Bugzilla: http://bugs.clamav.net


tkojm at clamav

Apr 10, 2012, 10:29 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1171 views)
Permalink
Re: Can I join the Mac dev of clamAV [In reply to]

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 00:04:55 +0800 boyd yang <boyd.yang [at] gmail> wrote:
> I studied the ClamAuth driver code.
> It's one-way notification now.
>
> Yes, Growl can be used for the one-way notification.
>
> There maybe the case that the virus file runs for few seconds before the
> clamd quarantines or deletes it.
>
> The Mac's kernel authentication has another advantage which is not used in
> the driver, the open/execute action of virus file can be refused in the
> driver before its running, like DazukoFS or fanotify.
>
> So a two-way communication is needed, driver get response from user about
> whether to accept or refuse the file operation.

Yes, that's planned for next versions.

Please let me know if you're interested in contributing to this driver.

> Fanotify is one part of Linux kernel (>2.6?), which filter file access and
> refuse or accept it. I once raise a bug of it:
> http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1110.1/00292.html.
> I think we can use fanotify on Linux too, then it becomes driverless.

We'll support fanotify in ClamAV 0.98.

--
oo ..... Tomasz Kojm <tkojm [at] clamav>
(\/)\......... http://www.ClamAV.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
\..........._ 0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
//\ /\ Tue Apr 10 19:26:06 CEST 2012
_______________________________________________
http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-devel.html
Please submit your patches to our Bugzilla: http://bugs.clamav.net

ClamAV devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.