Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

7911 factory default reset

keli at carocomp

7911 factory default reset

Hi!

I have a 7911G phone, with POE, that had problems starting up - got
stock in the DHCP phase. It seemd like bad cabling, but it behaved the
same plugged directly into the switch (Cisco POE switch).

So I tried a factory reset, but it won't recover. I'm not sure wether
I completed the procedure correctly though:
- reset the phone with the # pressed
- then press 123456789*#0 in sequence

The prone now enters the "Upgrading" phase, reboots, with a circle
icon (bullet?) in the lower left corner (where normally a checked
checkbox resides) then it begins the upgradeing proces all over again.

In the mean time, it recieves an IP adress from DHCP and can be pinged
for a shor while.

How do I exit this loop?

thanks,
Zoltan

asobihoudai at yahoo

Re: 7911 factory default reset [In reply to]

Can your phone talk to the tftp server properly?

--- keli [at] carocomp wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a 7911G phone, with POE, that had problems
> starting up - got
> stock in the DHCP phase. It seemd like bad cabling,
> but it behaved the
> same plugged directly into the switch (Cisco POE
> switch).
>
> So I tried a factory reset, but it won't recover.
> I'm not sure wether
> I completed the procedure correctly though:
> - reset the phone with the # pressed
> - then press 123456789*#0 in sequence
>
> The prone now enters the "Upgrading" phase, reboots,
> with a circle
> icon (bullet?) in the lower left corner (where
> normally a checked
> checkbox resides) then it begins the upgradeing
> proces all over again.
>
> In the mean time, it recieves an IP adress from DHCP
> and can be pinged
> for a shor while.
>
> How do I exit this loop?
>
> thanks,
> Zoltan

victor.rodriguez at neoris

Re: 7911 factory default reset [In reply to]

I recommend you upgrade the firmware for you 7911 IPphone and then to this procedure (you must use a AC adaptor)

Power off the phone.

Hold down the # key.

While holding #, connect an AC adaptor to the phone.

Continue to hold # until the line buttons blink amber.

Release the # key.

Enter 3491672850*#

The lights should change color from amber to red. When this occurs, the phone is resetting to factory defaults.

--- keli [at] carocomp wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a 7911G phone, with POE, that had problems
> starting up - got
> stock in the DHCP phase. It seemd like bad cabling,
> but it behaved the
> same plugged directly into the switch (Cisco POE
> switch).
>
> So I tried a factory reset, but it won't recover.
> I'm not sure wether
> I completed the procedure correctly though:
> - reset the phone with the # pressed
> - then press 123456789*#0 in sequence
>
> The prone now enters the "Upgrading" phase, reboots,
> with a circle
> icon (bullet?) in the lower left corner (where
> normally a checked
> checkbox resides) then it begins the upgradeing
> proces all over again.
>
> In the mean time, it recieves an IP adress from DHCP
> and can be pinged
> for a shor while.
>
> How do I exit this loop?
>
> thanks,
> Zoltan

Este documento puede incluir informacin confidencial y propiedad de Neoris y deber ser ledo solamente por la
o las personas a quienes est dirigido. Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error, por favor avise
inmediatamente al remitente contestando y eliminando este correo. Cualquier punto de vista u opiniones expresadas
en este mensaje son del remitente y no necesariamente coinciden con aquellas de Neoris. Este documento no deber
ser reproducido, copiado, distribuido, publicado, ni modificado por terceros sin la autorizacin por escrito de Neoris.

Este mensaje ha sido verificado contra virus. Vistenos en www.neoris.com.

This document may include proprietary and confidential information of Neoris, and may only be read by those
person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please advise
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail
are those of the sender and do not necessarily coincide with those of Neoris. This document may not be reproduced,
copied, distributed, published, modified or furnished to third parties, without the prior written consent of
Neoris.

This e-mail message has been scanned for viruses and cleared. Visit us at www.neoris.com

keli at carocomp

Re: 7911 factory default reset [In reply to]

In the mean time, this sort-of turned out to be the problem.

The phone is connected to a CCME, and the router did not have the
proper firmware files loaded. Once I did that, this phone recovered.

However, since I uploaded a newer firmware, that what was on the
phones, I restarted all the phones, and now I have a different phone
going crazy.

It can access the tftp server, it can download all the firmware files,
but then it just keeps rebooting, with "Resetting..." appearing once
in a while on the phone. It has this loop, where it's powering up once
with a checkmark, once with an X in that lower-left corner of the
screen and keeps rebooting continuously.

It has power, it gets DHCP, it's in the proper VLAN, the PC after it
is working ok etc ...

In the CCME telephony-service config, what is the proper filename for
load 7911 ????
since I've seen various configs on the net, some claiming the jar
file, some the SCCP and even some the apps file. Does anybody know for
sure?

thanks,
Zoltan

Quoting Paul Choi <asobihoudai [at] yahoo>:

> Can your phone talk to the tftp server properly?
>

> --- keli [at] carocomp wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have a 7911G phone, with POE, that had problems
>> starting up - got
>> stock in the DHCP phase. It seemd like bad cabling,
>> but it behaved the
>> same plugged directly into the switch (Cisco POE
>> switch).
>>
>> So I tried a factory reset, but it won't recover.
>> I'm not sure wether
>> I completed the procedure correctly though:
>> - reset the phone with the # pressed
>> - then press 123456789*#0 in sequence
>>
>> The prone now enters the "Upgrading" phase, reboots,
>> with a circle
>> icon (bullet?) in the lower left corner (where
>> normally a checked
>> checkbox resides) then it begins the upgradeing
>> proces all over again.
>>
>> In the mean time, it recieves an IP adress from DHCP
>> and can be pinged
>> for a shor while.
>>
>> How do I exit this loop?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Zoltan

> Don't pick lemons.
> http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html

keli at carocomp

Re: 7911 factory default reset [In reply to]

Then I hope this page has got a typo on it:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/prod_installation_guide09186a00807b806b.html
since I've got CME 4.0(2), but the closest match of firmware I've
found is something with files having 8-0-3-33 versions

Then again, it MIGHT have been related to network-locale settings,
that was (accidentally maybe?) set to IT for the first position
(though US for the rest) - when I verified #sh telephony-service

Anyway, 7906/7911 phones are a PITA, compared to the 7905 series. Who
says, you need a tftp server for the factory reset of a lousy phone
anyway? ... [/rant]

thanks for all the answers,
Zoltan

("Daniel A. Abelski" <daniel.abelski [at] gmail>):

asobihoudai at yahoo

Re: 7911 factory default reset [In reply to]

Without a TFTP server, you'd have a helluva time
getting your phone to do anything after a factory
reset lemme tell ya.

You must setup the tftp-server statements underneath
CCME or you won't get very far.

Paul

keli at carocomp

Re: 7911 factory default reset [In reply to]

You can do a factory reset on a 7905 even without an Ethernet cable
attached, and it would "just work" next time you plug it in.

Granted, you won't do much with it without an Ethernet cable, but at
least you sort-of know what is going on, and the phone isn't just
restarting like a loonatic.

And yes, 7906 does need a tftp server. Kind'a understood that already.

regards,
Zoltan