Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Troubleshooting ISDN PRI alternating between TEI_ASSIGNED and AWAITING_ESTABLISHMENT

bob at smalltime

Nov 21, 2006, 7:29 AM

Troubleshooting ISDN PRI alternating between TEI_ASSIGNED and AWAITING_ESTABLISHMENT

2851 router running 12.4.10a. ISDN PRI not coming up; sh isdn
stat shows alternating between TEI_ASSIGNED and AWAITING_ESTABLISHMENT.

isdn q.921 debugging shows
EVENT: Pri_Activate_L2: sending NL_EST_REQ
L2_EstablishedDataLink: sending SABME
user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
EVENT: CCPRI_Go: received NL_EST_REQ

Since this happened all of a sudden, I'm assuming that it's the
carrier, but I'm not sure what exactly to tell them, since it's
unlikely they understand Cisco terminology. Can someone translate this
into telco-ese?

toma.tomov at gmail

Nov 21, 2006, 7:48 AM

Re: Troubleshooting ISDN PRI alternating between TEI_ASSIGNED and AWAITING_ESTABLISHMENT [In reply to]

Culd you give me more information:
sh controllers e1/t1

this will provide us with infoabout Layer 1

It seems like Layer 1 problem.
if you provide us with configuration of controler interface will be perfect;
also
give Output of "debug isdn standart"

On 11/21/06, Robert Kulagowski <bob [at] smalltime> wrote:

> 2851 router running 12.4.10a. ISDN PRI not coming up; sh isdn
> stat shows alternating between TEI_ASSIGNED and AWAITING_ESTABLISHMENT.
>
> isdn q.921 debugging shows
> EVENT: Pri_Activate_L2: sending NL_EST_REQ
> L2_EstablishedDataLink: sending SABME
> user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
> user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
> user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
> user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
> EVENT: CCPRI_Go: received NL_EST_REQ
>
> Since this happened all of a sudden, I'm assuming that it's the
> carrier, but I'm not sure what exactly to tell them, since it's
> unlikely they understand Cisco terminology. Can someone translate this
> into telco-ese?

jonvoip at gmail

Nov 21, 2006, 8:16 AM

Re: Troubleshooting ISDN PRI alternating between TEI_ASSIGNED and AWAITING_ESTABLISHMENT [In reply to]

I would start by checking the t1 controller for errors, is it up, etc.

is MGCP controlling the PRI (if so, bounce MGCP with a no mgcp, mgcp)?

Jonathan

On 11/21/06, Robert Kulagowski <bob [at] smalltime> wrote:

> 2851 router running 12.4.10a. ISDN PRI not coming up; sh isdn
> stat shows alternating between TEI_ASSIGNED and AWAITING_ESTABLISHMENT.
>
> isdn q.921 debugging shows
> EVENT: Pri_Activate_L2: sending NL_EST_REQ
> L2_EstablishedDataLink: sending SABME
> user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
> user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
> user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
> user TX -> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0
> EVENT: CCPRI_Go: received NL_EST_REQ
>
> Since this happened all of a sudden, I'm assuming that it's the
> carrier, but I'm not sure what exactly to tell them, since it's
> unlikely they understand Cisco terminology. Can someone translate this
> into telco-ese?

bob at smalltime

Nov 21, 2006, 8:45 AM

Re: Troubleshooting ISDN PRI alternating between TEI_ASSIGNED and AWAITING_ESTABLISHMENT [In reply to]

Jonathan Charles wrote:
> I would start by checking the t1 controller for errors, is it up, etc.

T1 0/2/0 is up.
Applique type is Channelized T1
Cablelength is long gain36 0db
No alarms detected.
alarm-trigger is not set
Soaking time: 3, Clearance time: 10
AIS State:Clear LOS State:Clear LOF State:Clear
Version info Firmware: 20060711, FPGA: 13, spm_count = 0
Framing is ESF, Line Code is B8ZS, Clock Source is Line.
CRC Threshold is 320. Reported from firmware is 320.
Data in current interval (208 seconds elapsed):
0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations
0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs
Total Data (last 24 hours)
0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations,
0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins,
0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs

Currently configuring SIP, so no H.323 or MGCP.

deb isdn standard is showing essentially the same thing as I pasted in
my first email.

jonvoip at gmail

Nov 21, 2006, 9:03 AM

Re: Troubleshooting ISDN PRI alternating between TEI_ASSIGNED and AWAITING_ESTABLISHMENT [In reply to]

Layer 1 is fine.

So, we have either a layer 2 or 3 issue.

Now, a quick primer on connectivity to the ISDN switch.

Your Router is connected, via layer 1, from the WIC, to a Smartjack (the
thingy on the wall at the premise), the T1 carrier brings layer 1 to the
telephone company's Central Office (with repeaters in the middle) into a
Digital Access Cross Connect (aka a DACS, commercially known as a Titan)...
from there, your PRI is demultiplexed (or multiplexed, depending on whether
the telco is agregating T1s) over to a local type 4 (or 5) switch, or
trunked to another Central Office.

Based on the output you have sent, we know that we are fine all the way to
the DACS (otherwise we would see errors on the controller).

Since we are seeing no slips, we also know that we are getting good clock
from the ISDN switch itself.

What we are not seeing is any reply from the ISDN switch (hence the "user TX
-> SABMEp sapi=0 tei=0" but no " User RX <- RRf sapi=0 tei=0 nr=32" or
similar)

So, the problem is on the ISDN switch itself. Either it has no idea what you
are talking about (wrong switch-type, which is unlikely since it used to
work).

Engage the carrier and escalate hourly.

Jonathan

On 11/21/06, Robert Kulagowski <bob [at] smalltime> wrote:

> Jonathan Charles wrote:
> > I would start by checking the t1 controller for errors, is it up, etc.
>
> T1 0/2/0 is up.
> Applique type is Channelized T1
> Cablelength is long gain36 0db
> No alarms detected.
> alarm-trigger is not set
> Soaking time: 3, Clearance time: 10
> AIS State:Clear LOS State:Clear LOF State:Clear
> Version info Firmware: 20060711, FPGA: 13, spm_count = 0
> Framing is ESF, Line Code is B8ZS, Clock Source is Line.
> CRC Threshold is 320. Reported from firmware is 320.
> Data in current interval (208 seconds elapsed):
> 0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations
> 0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
> 0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail
> Secs
> Total Data (last 24 hours)
> 0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations,
> 0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins,
> 0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail
> Secs
>
> Currently configuring SIP, so no H.323 or MGCP.
>
> deb isdn standard is showing essentially the same thing as I pasted in
> my first email.

kfedor at amt

Nov 21, 2006, 9:18 AM

Re: Troubleshooting ISDN PRI alternating between TEI_ASSIGNED and AWAITING_ESTABLISHMENT [In reply to]

Hi?

This L2 problem.

Call to provider and ask why L2 not established.
May be you must change protocol-emulate on d channel.

Sincerely Yours,
Konstantin Fedorov