Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly

CMStaffin at ra

Aug 14, 2006, 2:05 PM

Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly

Group,

We are doing a centralized CCM deployment. Our Callmanagers are split
between Milwaukee Wisconsin and Cleveland Ohio. (Yes we meet the 40ms
with no problems)

However we are deploying sites in latin America now. I just got done
installing a site in Argentina off of one of our cluster based at the
above locations. there is about a 240ms RTT.

Everything is working fine however when i try to update the firmware on
the phones they are timeing out. If I sniff the port i can see all the
TFTP traffic come back to the phone and the phone does an ack back to the
server. However the phone never actually updates the firmware it just
sits at verifying load for about 30 minutes then fails and goes to its old
load.

I have a TAC case open but TAC has not been able to help me in the least
for the past week.

Has anyone else seen this one???

Thanks
Craig

CMStaffin at ra

Aug 14, 2006, 2:16 PM

Re: Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly [In reply to]

Would love to however by the time we are done with our rollout we will
have about 350 sites across the globe so if we have to setup seperate TFTP
servers at each location that is HUGE administration nightmare.

So we need it to be centralized to some extent

Craig

"Mike Mike" <voipermike [at] gmail>
08/14/2006 04:06 PM

"Craig M Staffin" <CMStaffin [at] ra>
cc

Subject
Re: [cisco-voip] Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly

How about sending the firmware load over there and having someone setup a
temporary TFTP server. There is plenty of freeware out there.

[...]

scott.odonnell at gmail

Aug 14, 2006, 2:25 PM

Re: Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly [In reply to]

Craig,

Provided you aren't loosing packets on the line, this should work.
I've done a couple of upgrades across lines with RTT like the ones you are
talking about.

A couple of things I would look at.

- Make sure you are not dropping packets on the connection. TFTP/ UDP
download will fail if you have a faulty connection.
- Make sure you are prioritizing the traffic on the line to/from the
phone/CM. At least while you are attempting to upgrade.
- Make sure you only do 1 - 2 phones at a time as a test. The TFTP Server
will throttle requests if it gets too many at once.
- Look at the router configurations. I remember someone about NAT causing a
problem with the phones doing firmware transfers.

I've had a phone firmware upgrade take over 1 1/2 hours for 450 phones all
rebooted at once. That was with all the phones locally connected on the same
L2 network.

- Scott

On 8/14/06, Craig M Staffin <CMStaffin [at] ra> wrote:

> Would love to however by the time we are done with our rollout we will
> have about 350 sites across the globe so if we have to setup seperate TFTP
> servers at each location that is HUGE administration nightmare.
>
> So we need it to be centralized to some extent
>
> Craig
>

> *"Mike Mike" <voipermike [at] gmail>*
>
> 08/14/2006 04:06 PM
> "Craig M Staffin" <CMStaffin [at] ra> cc
> Subject
> Re: [cisco-voip] Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly
>

> How about sending the firmware load over there and having someone setup a
> temporary TFTP server. There is plenty of freeware out there.
>
> On 8/14/06, *Craig M Staffin* <*CMStaffin [at] ra*<CMStaffin [at] ra>>
> wrote:
>
> Group,
>
> We are doing a centralized CCM deployment. Our Callmanagers are split
> between Milwaukee Wisconsin and Cleveland Ohio. (Yes we meet the 40ms with
> no problems)
>
> However we are deploying sites in latin America now. I just got done
> installing a site in Argentina off of one of our cluster based at the above
> locations. there is about a 240ms RTT.
>
> Everything is working fine however when i try to update the firmware on
> the phones they are timeing out. If I sniff the port i can see all the TFTP
> traffic come back to the phone and the phone does an ack back to the server.
> However the phone never actually updates the firmware it just sits at
> verifying load for about 30 minutes then fails and goes to its old load.
>
> I have a TAC case open but TAC has not been able to help me in the least
> for the past week.
>
> Has anyone else seen this one???
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig

bob at smalltime

Aug 14, 2006, 7:56 PM

Re: Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly [In reply to]

> Would love to however by the time we are done with our rollout we will
> have about 350 sites across the globe so if we have to setup seperate
> TFTP servers at each location that is HUGE administration nightmare.

Well, you can always use the router as a tftp server; is that an option?

CMStaffin at ra

Aug 14, 2006, 8:16 PM

Re: Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly [In reply to]

Router is definatly an option as I am part of the network group. However
again this would mean that I or someone from my team would need to manage
350 different TFTP servers. One across each site. So not real scalable.

Wes maybe you know did cisco monkey with the TFTP times on the phones.
The default for TFTP timeout is 1000ms however I have seen some people
change this down to 200 or 300ms.

Craig

Robert Kulagowski <bob [at] smalltime>
Sent by: cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck
08/14/2006 09:56 PM

cisco-voip [at] puck
cc

Subject
Re: [cisco-voip] Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly

> Would love to however by the time we are done with our rollout we will
> have about 350 sites across the globe so if we have to setup seperate
> TFTP servers at each location that is HUGE administration nightmare.

Well, you can always use the router as a tftp server; is that an option?

wsisk at cisco

Aug 15, 2006, 12:27 PM

Re: Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly [In reply to]

Craig,

No nerd knobs that I am aware of. If you are getting all the ACKs back then it sounds like the packet is getting corrupted in transit. I do not believe the phones validate the checksum on every packet, but only verifies the whole file reassembled. Can you send me a packet capture of a phone at the remote location attempting to upgrade? Or can you access a PC at the remote location and attempt to TFTP download the phone load from the TFTP server? Check the md5sum of the downloaded file against the md5sum (http://www.etree.org"]http://www.etree.org) of the original file. If you are using a PIX at the remote site you can use the packet capture feature of it to remotely perform the packet capture. I can reconstruct the payload from the packet capture and verify if it is corrupt in transit.

You will greatly benefit from an upcoming phone feature where 1 remote site phone downloads from TFTP server, then the phones pass the load among themselves.

/Wes

Craig M Staffin wrote:

Router is definatly an option as I am part of the network group. However again this would mean that I or someone from my team would need to manage 350 different TFTP servers. One across each site. So not real scalable.

Wes maybe you know did cisco monkey with the TFTP times on the phones. The default for TFTP timeout is 1000ms however I have seen some people change this down to 200 or 300ms.

Craig

Robert Kulagowski <bob [at] smalltime>
Sent by: cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck

08/14/2006 09:56 PM To cisco-voip [at] puck cc
Subject Re: [cisco-voip] Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly

> Would love to however by the time we are done with our rollout we will
> have about 350 sites across the globe so if we have to setup seperate
> TFTP servers at each location that is HUGE administration nightmare.

Well, you can always use the router as a tftp server; is that an option?

Matt.Slaga at us

Aug 15, 2006, 1:13 PM

Re: Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly [In reply to]

In regards to your comment, "You will greatly benefit from an upcoming
phone feature where 1 remote site phone downloads from TFTP server, then
the phones pass the load among themselves." ,,,where, when, how? Any
details?

Thanks!

Matt

________________________________

file against the md5sum (http://www.etree.org) of the original file. If

Craig M Staffin wrote:

Router is definatly an option as I am part of the network group.
However again this would mean that I or someone from my team would need
to manage 350 different TFTP servers. One across each site. So not
real scalable.

Wes maybe you know did cisco monkey with the TFTP times on the phones.
The default for TFTP timeout is 1000ms however I have seen some people
change this down to 200 or 300ms.

Craig

Robert Kulagowski <bob [at] smalltime> <mailto:bob [at] smalltime>
Sent by: cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck

08/14/2006 09:56 PM

cisco-voip [at] puck

cc

Subject

Re: [cisco-voip] Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly

> Would love to however by the time we are done with our rollout we will

> have about 350 sites across the globe so if we have to setup seperate
> TFTP servers at each location that is HUGE administration nightmare.

Well, you can always use the router as a tftp server; is that an option?

Disclaimer:

designated addressee(s) named above only. If you are not the
unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please
from your computer. Thank you.

jason.aarons at us

Aug 15, 2006, 6:36 PM

Re: Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly [In reply to]

I have this feature in computers now, one PC downloads a virus/worm from
the net and passes it among friends. Isn't this how Cyberdyne from Rise
of the Machines got started? Are we building Skynet? Selsius? Skynet?
Both started with a S.... <grin>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberdyne_Systems_Corporation

________________________________

Craig M Staffin wrote:

Router is definatly an option as I am part of the network group.
However again this would mean that I or someone from my team would need
to manage 350 different TFTP servers. One across each site. So not
real scalable.

Wes maybe you know did cisco monkey with the TFTP times on the phones.
The default for TFTP timeout is 1000ms however I have seen some people
change this down to 200 or 300ms.

Craig

Robert Kulagowski <bob [at] smalltime> <mailto:bob [at] smalltime>
Sent by: cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck

08/14/2006 09:56 PM

cisco-voip [at] puck

cc

Subject

Re: [cisco-voip] Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly

> Would love to however by the time we are done with our rollout we will

> have about 350 sites across the globe so if we have to setup seperate
> TFTP servers at each location that is HUGE administration nightmare.

Well, you can always use the router as a tftp server; is that an option?

________________________________

Disclaimer:

designated addressee(s) named above only. If you are not the
unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please
from your computer. Thank you.

Disclaimer:

designated addressee(s) named above only. If you are not the
unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please
from your computer. Thank you.

wcdixo at aurora

Aug 15, 2006, 6:41 PM

Re: Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly [In reply to]

Please tell me that they're going to secure this, in order to mitigate
any type of trojan and the like from being uploaded to the phone... but
who knows... the may not...

Wayne

In regards to your comment, "You will greatly benefit from an
upcoming phone feature where 1 remote site phone downloads from TFTP
server, then the phones pass the load among themselves." ,,,where, when,
how? Any details?

Thanks!

Matt

________________________________

downloaded file against the md5sum (http://www.etree.org) of the

Craig M Staffin wrote:

Router is definatly an option as I am part of the network group.
However again this would mean that I or someone from my team would need
to manage 350 different TFTP servers. One across each site. So not
real scalable.

Wes maybe you know did cisco monkey with the TFTP times on the
phones. The default for TFTP timeout is 1000ms however I have seen some
people change this down to 200 or 300ms.

Craig

Robert Kulagowski <bob [at] smalltime> <mailto:bob [at] smalltime>
Sent by: cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck

08/14/2006 09:56 PM

cisco-voip [at] puck

cc

Subject

Re: [cisco-voip] Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly

> Would love to however by the time we are done with our rollout
we will
> have about 350 sites across the globe so if we have to setup
seperate
> TFTP servers at each location that is HUGE administration
nightmare.

Well, you can always use the router as a tftp server; is that an
option?

________________________________

Disclaimer:

designated addressee(s) named above only. If you are not the
intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you have
received
unlawful. If you have received this communication in error,
please
notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting
it
from your computer. Thank you.

________________________________

Disclaimer:

designated addressee(s) named above only. If you are not the
intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you have
received
unlawful. If you have received this communication in error,
please
notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting
it
from your computer. Thank you.

lelio at uoguelph

Aug 15, 2006, 7:06 PM

Re: Upgrading firmware on 7961 remotly [In reply to]

While we are talking about TFTP, is there an easy way to use an external TFTP server? We have a campus DNS/DHCP appliance that is fully redundant and we'd like to offload some of this from the voice servers.

Is there a way to ensure that CallManager updates the config files on an external TFTP server?