Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Fax Servers

Adam.Blomfield at sulzer

Mar 21, 2005, 8:58 AM

Fax Servers

I'm looking into setting up a fax server and was hoping to get some
insight from anyone who had already done this. What are the best
products out there? What are the cheapest products? I heard Cisco is
about to release their own fax software, but I'm sure it will have a
nice price tag to go with it. I know that Asterisk supports incoming and
outgoing faxing... can you set up a H.323 trunk to an Asterisk server
and have it receive faxes? Given the price tag this might be something
worth checking out! Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Adam

Adam Blomfield
WAN Administrator
Information Technology
Sulzer Chemtech USA, Inc.

nmarus at gmail

Mar 21, 2005, 9:08 AM

Fax Servers [In reply to]

4.1 now support t38. I have a customer implementing Rightfax and a
(new?) Brooktrout board that has an ethernet connection on the back
instead of you typical tdm type interface. Not sure about asterisk,
but t38 i imagewould be the key here.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:58:11 -0600, Blomfield, Adam
<Adam.Blomfield [at] sulzer> wrote:

> I'm looking into setting up a fax server and was hoping to get some insight
> from anyone who had already done this. What are the best products out there?
> What are the cheapest products? I heard Cisco is about to release their own
> fax software, but I'm sure it will have a nice price tag to go with it. I
> know that Asterisk supports incoming and outgoing faxing… can you set up a
> H.323 trunk to an Asterisk server and have it receive faxes? Given the price
> tag this might be something worth checking out! Any other ideas?
>

> Thanks,
> Adam

Nick Marus
nmarus [at] gmail

--
Nick Marus
nmarus [at] gmail

Aaron.Kent at apptis

Mar 21, 2005, 9:11 AM

RE: Fax Servers [In reply to]

www.faxserver.com <http://www.faxserver.com/>

This is by far the best bang for your buck when it comes to fax
software. It is an excellent product that our company resells if you are
interested in getting some pricing, otherwise you can get pricing
direct.

Re: Fax Servers [In reply to]

When I was looking at them the two choices I was looking at were
RightFax (Cisco OEM's this) and Xmedius. I liked Xmedius because it is
a software only solution using your existing IP gateways (h.323). I
tested it and it worked well, but we still have not implemented anything
because the project we needed it for fell through.

Carlos