Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Unable to get Jabber Android working

gwenzel at conres

Aug 11, 2012, 5:47 AM

Unable to get Jabber Android working

I have exhausted my search and sadly need some assistance. We have a vpn into our offices and its wide open. I can vpn into my corporate network on my samsung android running v4.04 and ping anything. I bring up my Jabber im on my phone and it asks for a Device ID and server so i put in my username and the ip address of the presence server i have configured. And states failed upon connection attempt

We have jabber v9.0.4 for windows running internally. We have jabber for ipphone and ipad working while on vpn works fine

My frustration is most use androids not apple devices.

I am looking for someone to answer my question.

When logging into Jabber for Android what is the device id is the Jabber for android looking for.

TIA

GregW

This message w/attachments (message) is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.
Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any products.

gwenzel at conres

Aug 11, 2012, 6:45 AM

[...]

jefflin.choi at gmail

Aug 22, 2012, 6:03 AM

Re: Unable to get Jabber Android working [In reply to]

Did you make it work?
trying it on sammsung S3 and it seems still not supported even with the
updated jabber.

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Gregory Wenzel <gwenzel [at] conres> wrote:

> I found what I needed, Never mind.****
>
> ** **

gwenzel at conres

Aug 22, 2012, 6:13 AM

Re: Unable to get Jabber Android working [In reply to]

Sadly--No.

Seems there is supposed to be two versions. I have the JABBER client and not the JABBER IM Client. But every time I visit google play to get the download I look up Jabber IM, it takes me there on my phone I go to download it and it says I already have it. Does anyone have the direct link in google play to the Jabber IM Android client.
I have Samsung s III user test phone running ice cream I think, version is called Android 4.0.4

In my previous email:
I neglected to create user device profile and have not started the mobility piece which is what needs to be confide before I try.
I have all the special .cop and .sgn microsoft drivers installed along with the update to Allow Presentation Sharing using BFCP.

[...]

rratliff at cisco

Aug 22, 2012, 11:05 AM

Re: Unable to get Jabber Android working [In reply to]

For starters, there is no Cisco Jabber IM for Android on the play market. Go here for some info on what exactly this app does. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11678/index.html

Regarding the Jabber voip client v9.0 (the only Cisco Jabber out for android currently) the Galaxy S3 isn't in the supported device list, and falls solidly into this category (from the release notes).

> The following limitations and restrictions apply to Android OS 4.0:
> Due to a limitation of Android OS 4.0, Cisco Jabber cannot register to Cisco Unified Communications Manager on some devices. Cisco is working with select device manufacturers to resolve this issue at the Android OS level.

-Ryan

[...]

This message w/attachments (message) is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited. Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any products. ญญ