Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Local Number Portability in the United States - can a carrier "lock in" DIDs?

rkulagow at gmail

Aug 8, 2012, 9:28 AM

Local Number Portability in the United States - can a carrier "lock in" DIDs?

If I port DIDs to a carrier, and then change my mind, is anyone aware
of difficulties in porting out numbers? Has anyone run into an issue
with a carrier preventing DIDs from moving?

I'm not talking about slamming - so assuming I've done an "unlock" on
my DID, should there be any problems?

Thanks?

tman701 at gmail

Aug 8, 2012, 9:38 AM

Re: Local Number Portability in the United States - can a carrier "lock in" DIDs? [In reply to]

Hi Robert,

I've ran into similar situations and normally it is carrier dependent. But
they have never rejected a port back to the original carrier in my cases.
The one caveat is that normally it takes 25-30 business days to port back
from the time you request it.

Joel P