Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

etherchannel for UC on UCS?

ewellnitzvoip at gmail

etherchannel for UC on UCS?

Is etherchannel supported for UC on UCS? I want to make sure I'm not
planning to do anything which might impact performance.

Thanks!

jorge.rodriguez at netxar

Re: etherchannel for UC on UCS? [In reply to]

Physical Links

Redundant physical LAN interfaces are recommended.

Cisco UCS B-Series connect to the LAN via UCS 6100, so use redundant 1Gbps or 10Gbps ports on the UCS 6100.

Cisco UCS C-Series tested reference configurations<http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Computing_System_Hardware> ship with two or six 1Gbps Ethernet ports (two on the motherboard for C210 or C200 plus on C210 additional four on a PCIe NIC). The recommended best practice configuration when using this tested reference configuration is:
One or two pairs of teamed NICs for UC VM traffic. One pair is usually sufficient on C200 due to the low load per VM.
One pair of NICs (teamed or dedicated) for VMware-specific traffic (e.g. management, vMotion, VMware High Availability, etc.)
[cid:image001.png [at] 01CD3F43]<http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/File:NotePencil.gif>

Note:

On a server with both LOM and PCIe NIC ports, when creating a NIC teaming pair, use one port from the LOM and one from the PCIe. This splits the team across the motherboard and PCIe card, and protects against a failure of either PCIe card or the motherboard ports.

If using specs-based VMware support, other LAN interconnect options may be used, such as using Cisco VIC in NIV mode instead of multiple physical NICs.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/QoS_Design_Considerations_for_Virtual_UC_with_UCS

Jorge Rodriguez Aguila, CCVP-Voice
Senior Voice/Data Consultant
Netxar Technologies
jorge.rodriguez [at] netxar<mailto:jorge.rodriguez [at] netxar>
787-688-8530

Is etherchannel supported for UC on UCS? I want to make sure I'm not planning to do anything which might impact performance.

Thanks!
Attachments: image001.png (0.74 KB)

ewellnitzvoip at gmail

Re: etherchannel for UC on UCS? [In reply to]

thanks! I guess I didn't read carefully on this one.

Re: etherchannel for UC on UCS? [In reply to]

No worries, that wiki site is a bit convoluted and it tends to happen.

Jorge

[cid:image001.png [at] 01CD3F44]<http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/File:NotePencil.gif>

Note:

On a server with both LOM and PCIe NIC ports, when creating a NIC teaming pair, use one port from the LOM and one from the PCIe. This splits the team across the motherboard and PCIe card, and protects against a failure of either PCIe card or the motherboard ports.

If using specs-based VMware support, other LAN interconnect options may be used, such as using Cisco VIC in NIV mode instead of multiple physical NICs.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/QoS_Design_Considerations_for_Virtual_UC_with_UCS

Jorge Rodriguez Aguila, CCVP-Voice
Senior Voice/Data Consultant
Netxar Technologies
jorge.rodriguez [at] netxar<mailto:jorge.rodriguez [at] netxar>
787-688-8530<tel:787-688-8530>