Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware

ariemer at amnet

7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware

Hey guys,

We are gradually upgrading our fleet of 7965G's to SCCP v9 software from v8.

We have found an issue at remote sites (higher latency) where phones (with
any 9.x firmware) are taking upward of 10-20 minutes to register! This delay
seems to only occur when a full power off / power on occurs.

Downgrade the phones back to v8.x and whola! No problem.

We are going to try and simulate this in the lab with a WAN sim and then
probably get TAC involved. I suspect it has something to do with the extra
latency involved but as mentioned we have had no trouble with v8.x software.

Has anyone come across this problem? It seems a bit oddball I know.

Any hints or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Aaron.

jason.aarons at dimensiondata

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

This seems normall But tftp time is tied directly to latency delay as every packet is acked, and 512k max packet size.

Peer firmware sharing and load server could help.

What exact version 8x to 9x?

Hopefully the switch to https or is around the corner. Tftp is great with small files but not large phone loads. The VIP12/30 had smaller loads.

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

We are gradually upgrading our fleet of 7965G's to SCCP v9 software from v8.

We have found an issue at remote sites (higher latency) where phones (with any 9.x firmware) are taking upward of 10-20 minutes to register! This delay seems to only occur when a full power off / power on occurs.

Downgrade the phones back to v8.x and whola! No problem.

We are going to try and simulate this in the lab with a WAN sim and then probably get TAC involved. I suspect it has something to do with the extra latency involved but as mentioned we have had no trouble with v8.x software.

Has anyone come across this problem? It seems a bit oddball I know.

Any hints or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Aaron.

itevomcid

rratliff at cisco

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

All recent loads actually use http for tftp operations. It is over tcp port 6970 so isn't super obvious.

To the problem I'd definitely look at a packet capture on both ends. Any devices doing wan acceleration or inspection?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

I have a wireshark of 7965 sccp load 9.2 doing port 69 from Friday with UCM 8.5.1SU3.

What version load does http 6970?

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

CC: cisco-voip [at] puck [cisco-voip [at] puck]; ariemer [at] amnet [ariemer [at] amnet]

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com<http://www.nitrodesk.com>)

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

89/9900s got it in 9.1(1). I thought the older phones got it as well but haven't found confirmation just yet.

-Ryan

I have a wireshark of 7965 sccp load 9.2 doing port 69 from Friday with UCM 8.5.1SU3.

What version load does http 6970?

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

CC: cisco-voip [at] puck [cisco-voip [at] puck]; ariemer [at] amnet [ariemer [at] amnet]

All recent loads actually use http for tftp operations. It is over tcp port 6970 so isn't super obvious.

To the problem I'd definitely look at a packet capture on both ends. Any devices doing wan acceleration or inspection?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2012, at 12:32 PM, "Jason Aarons (AM)" <jason.aarons [at] dimensiondata> wrote:

> This seems normall But tftp time is tied directly to latency delay as every packet is acked, and 512k max packet size.
>
> Peer firmware sharing and load server could help.
>
> What exact version 8x to 9x?
>
> Hopefully the switch to https or is around the corner. Tftp is great with small files but not large phone loads. The VIP12/30 had smaller loads.
>
> Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

wsisk at cisco

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

10-20 minutes sounds like the time to download the larger loads required by the 79x2 and 79x5 loads. When you reset the phones they re-attempt TFTP. The phones will spin on TFTP transfer for 10-20 minutes, then give up most likely on a failure, and register using the old phone load.

If you check one of the phones that experiences this issue - either in RTMT or in the phone webpage, has it successfully upgraded to the 9.x release or is it still running the 8.x release such that they would attempt upgrade on next reset.

I was not under the impression that 79x2 and 79x5 model phones had http transfer of phone loads yet. That would be a good point of clarification as to how the phones are attempting upgrade and if any problems occur in that attempt. Usually detailed TFTP traces are adequate.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16943

Regards,
Wes

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

3rd gen phones (see: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8131#Definitions)

*should* get http download in 9.3(1) so long as things go as planned with:
CSCsy15970

this is future planning and therefore subject to change.

Regards,
Wes

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

Here's the enhancement to add this feature to the 79xx phones.
CSCsy15970

Note that it is an enhancement and should be fixed in 9.3(1).

-Ryan

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

I would expect tcp 1500 byte packets alone to cut file transfer time in half vs udp 512 byte in tftp , does peer firmware sharing still use tftp or the new http when this feature goes live?

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

Hi Ryan,

when did the 6900s get it? Just found out with 9.2 there doing http! Was it 9.1(1) also ?

thanks!
Erich

CC: cisco-voip [at] puck [cisco-voip [at] puck]; ariemer [at] amnet [ariemer [at] amnet]

All recent loads actually use http for tftp operations. It is over tcp port 6970 so isn't super obvious.

To the problem I'd definitely look at a packet capture on both ends. Any devices doing wan acceleration or inspection?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2012, at 12:32 PM, "Jason Aarons (AM)" <jason.aarons [at] dimensiondata> wrote:

> This seems normall But tftp time is tied directly to latency delay as every packet is acked, and 512k max packet size.
>
> Peer firmware sharing and load server could help.
>
> What exact version 8x to 9x?
>
> Hopefully the switch to https or is around the corner. Tftp is great with small files but not large phone loads. The VIP12/30 had smaller loads.
>
> Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

ariemer at amnet

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

Hi Wes,

The phones were hard set to SCCP45.9-1-1SR1S and the load was already
installed prior to connecting them at the remote site. I.e. they were
upgraded at our metro site and sent to remote location.

There was no indication on the phones that they were upgrading when
connected at the remote site. They would just be 'stuck' (frozen screen) for
up to 20 minutes until finally they would register.

We tried multiple SCCPv9 firmware with the same results. In the end we had
to downgrade them all to SCCPv8 to resolve the problem.

I am going to get this up in a lab environment to test when I get a spare
moment.

I will update the list.

Cheers,

Aaron.

Re: 7965G delays registering on SCCP v9 firmware [In reply to]

Aaron,

Do you have a packet capture or console logs from the phones when they were in that state?

The only other option that comes to mind is a backoff feature recently introduced. If phones find auto-registration disabled as indicated by the XMLDefault.cnf.xml and the phone gets a registration rejection message then the phones should backoff on attempting registration. Were the phones successfully registered prior to moving to the remote site?