Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones

lelio at uoguelph

video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones

I'd like to ensure (or at least try to ensure) that I have at least one or two video conferencing resources for a batch of 8945s and 9951s/71s that I have available for testing.

The options for video conferencing resources on the DSP calculator are quite vast (for someone who has no experience in video).

Anyone have any suggestions for the parameters?

Conference Type:Homogeneous (1 Class) /Heterogeneous (2,3,4 Classes)

Video Capabilities: H.264 XXX /H.263 XXX

Types: ?

I'm guessing I could just check off all the video capabilities of the phones, but not sure what the classes are for.

Would I need Video transcoders for this? Can I assume they'll all talk the same?

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (ANNU)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
- LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)

burns.jason at gmail

Re: video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones [In reply to]

Check out this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/feature/guide/Video-trans-conf.html#wp1054259

You have to know your endpoints and what frame and bit rates they support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Intermediate_Format

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps10451/ps11158/data_sheet_c78-649595.html

8945 - 640x480 @ 30fps (VGA)

9951 - also VGA

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps10453/ps10513/data_sheet_c78-565680.html

So you can get away with a homogeneous conference profile if that's all
you're going to have. If you want to support some people in the conference
at higher rates you'd want to go with the homogeneous setup. The doc
explains the limits / benefits of each.

There are some really good tables in the first link to that explain the
different formats. I don't know if I can easily summarize it!

-Jason

Re: video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones [In reply to]

Misspoke there. If you want different resolutions in the conference, then
go with the heterogeneous type. As soon as you pick two different
resolutions you automatically get the heterogeneous, 2 class. 3 resolutions
is a 3 class heterogeneous, etc.

So for you the H.264 Homogeneous with VGA would allow you full video
conferencing at max resolution (AND max bandwidth).

If bandwidth is a concern you can select a smaller homogeneous size for
your conferencing profile and the phones should negotiate down to that size
when they're in the conference.

If you have extra DSPs this is where you can use a heterogeneous conference
and throttle down your remote users with locations bandwidth (lower the
video kbps) and allow your users local to the CFB to use higher
resolutions. This could also be used to avoid going to the lowest common
denominator if some endpoints didn't support VGA.

-Jason

Re: video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones [In reply to]

Thanks for this and the previous email.

I noticed that when I added additional types and made it a heterogeneous class, the resource requirements jumped significantly.

We have no bandwidth issues at this time, so I can use the highest setting without issues. The one question I had, and of course it might mean experimenting, if I have four phones set to VGA, does the phone require the DSPs to present the far side images on the phone? Does this change the settings?

Sent from my iPhone...

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

On May 2, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Jason Burns <burns.jason [at] gmail> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The options for video conferencing resources on the DSP calculator are quite vast (for someone who has no experience in video).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for the parameters?
>
> Conference Type:Homogeneous (1 Class) /Heterogeneous (2,3,4 Classes)
>
> Video Capabilities: H.264 XXX /H.263 XXX
>
> Types: ?
>
> I'm guessing I could just check off all the video capabilities of the phones, but not sure what the classes are for.
>
> Would I need Video transcoders for this? Can I assume they'll all talk the same?
>
> ---
> Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
> Senior Analyst (CCS) * University of Guelph * Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1
> (519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (ANNU)
> Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.

matthnick at gmail

Re: video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones [In reply to]

Last time I looked, the lowest PVDM3 that supported video was the 128.
It's worth double checking, it caught me by surprise when I heard that.
The PVDM3's are good because you don't need to drop $100k on a MCU to get
started. There's also Callway and others are hosted services that partners
offer that you can pay-as-you-need or pay-as-you-use.

-nick

Re: video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones [In reply to]

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

I have a 256 + 64 installed. Would the system be 'smart' enough to use the 256 chip for video calls? Or would it depend on how the resources were reserved for the T1 calls? Would there be any benefit to installing the 64 chip in slot 0 so it's resources we're reserved for the T1s first, leaving more resources on the 256 free for video?

Sent from my iPhone...

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Re: video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones [In reply to]

Can't say there. I do know that generally once channels are allocated they
won't move. So the question is if it will begin to allocate channels to
the smallest DSPs first or not, to which I would not be surprised if it did
work like that. I've not been privy to the allocation magic of the
PVDM3's, so it would be a cool test if you've got the ability.

-nick

Re: video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones [In reply to]

Looks like as long as I'm doing video switching only with a homogeneous environment, I'll be safe.

Anything else, I likely won't even have the spare resources to test.

from:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps4952/qa_c67-649850.html

Q. Which PVDMs can I use for video conferencing services on the Cisco ISR G2?
A. Only PVDM3 can be used for video conferencing services on the Cisco ISR G2. Further within the PVDM3 family only the - PVDM3-128, PVDM3-192, and PVDM3-256 - can be used for video mixing. However, all PVDM3 can be used for video switching.
Note: PVDM2 modules do not support video conferencing services.

Q. What video conferences are supported?
A. Three types of video profiles are supported: homogeneous conferences (video switching), heterogeneous conferences (video mixing), and guaranteed audio conferences (best-effort video).

Sent from my iPhone...

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Re: video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones [In reply to]

ugh. It also goes on to say video conferencing on the ISR G2 is supported in CUCM v8.6. :(

I'm hoping this is, um, not accurate and I can do something with v7.1. ;)

Sent from my iPhone...

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

csvoip at googlemail

Re: video conferencing resources for 8945, 9951, 9971 phones [In reply to]

Hi Lelio

I have configured the video conferencing using homogenous mode and it works
really well, you definitely need CUCM 8.6 to be able to add the
Homogenous Conference Bridge, the following link explains how to configure
this.

http://www.ccierants.com/2011/12/cisco-isr-g2-video-conferencing.html

Regards

Nick