Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Codec change issue

james.dust at charles-stanley

Codec change issue

Afternoon All,

We have recently changed our codec from G711 to G729 for a handful of our remote branches. We achieved this by changing the region on CUCM and updating our branch voice gateway by applying the preferred codec onto all the relevant dial peers.

However, we have had some examples of the following scenario:

Calls to an IP phone through a gateway fail when a transfer to another phone is attempted. The user picking up the transferred call receives a busy tone and then the call disconnects.

The voice gateway in question shows the incoming call codec as G729 and no errors appear when we apply a debug to the router.

Voice Gateway: 2801 (IOS - 12.4T)

CUCM Version: 7.1(3)

7970 phones

Has anyone come across this? Would be handy to know before I attempt to setup alerts on RTMT.

Kind Regards

James Dust
Team Leader
ICT Network Infrastructure & Communications Department
Charles Stanley & Co Ltd
Tel: 020 7149 6314
Mob: 07989 491136
mailto: james.dust [at] charles-stanley<mailto:james.dust [at] charles-stanley>

Consider the environment - Think before you print

The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient and may not be disclosed. Although it is believed that this email and any attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to confirm this.

You are advised that urgent, time-sensitive communications should not be sent by email. We hereby give you notice that a delivery receipt does not constitute acknowledgement or receipt by the intended recipient(s).

Details of Charles Stanley group companies and their regulators (where applicable), can be found at this URL http://www.charles-stanley.co.uk/contact-us/disclosure/

jbuchanan at presidio

Re: Codec change issue [In reply to]

What protocol are the affected gateways running? Are they running H323? If so, are you using voice class codec with a list of codecs?

James Buchanan| UC Technology Manager | Presidio South | Presidio Networked Solutions
12 Cadillac Dr Ste 130 Brentwood, TN 37027 | jbuchanan [at] presidio<mailto:jbuchanan [at] presidio>
[...]

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments. Please be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.

roger.wiklund at gmail

Re: Codec change issue [In reply to]

"G711 to G729 for a handful of our remote branches"

Sounds like codec mismatch, if you have an active G729 only call and
you conferense in a G711 phone you will get the same problem you're
having. I.E it rings and as soon as you answer the call disconnects.

To overcome that you need transcode resources on a Cisco gateway.

For regular calls, as James aid, if you're running H.323 ensure you
have a voice class codec with G729 as first prio then G711a/ulaw as 2
and 3. That way the gateway should be able to adapt if phones have
have different codecs.