Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

CCM 7.x test system??

 

 

Cisco voip RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


Edward.Countryman at provena

Apr 25, 2012, 10:02 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1267 views)
Permalink
CCM 7.x test system??

I’ve trying to build a test system for a 7.1.3 environment on VM ware.



The test environment is stand alone, no production or internet access, just a small lab we can use for testing and training.



When trying to load CCM on the first server, it stalls wanting a NTP server. I build a small win2003 server on the same test network and enabled win32 time services but CCM doesn’t like it.



Any ideas what I might be missing?


jbuchanan at presidio

Apr 25, 2012, 10:06 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1231 views)
Permalink
Re: CCM 7.x test system?? [In reply to]

Windows uses SNTP instead of standard NTP. Try using a router as your NTP server.

James Buchanan| UC Technology Manager | Presidio South | Presidio Networked Solutions
12 Cadillac Dr Ste 130 Brentwood, TN 37027 | jbuchanan [at] presidio<mailto:jbuchanan [at] presidio>
D: 615-866-5729 | F:615-866-5781 www.presidio.com<http://www.presidio.com/>

From: cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck [mailto:cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck] On Behalf Of Countryman, Edward
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:02 PM
To: cisco-voip voyp list
Subject: [cisco-voip] CCM 7.x test system??

I’ve trying to build a test system for a 7.1.3 environment on VM ware.

The test environment is stand alone, no production or internet access, just a small lab we can use for testing and training.

When trying to load CCM on the first server, it stalls wanting a NTP server. I build a small win2003 server on the same test network and enabled win32 time services but CCM doesn’t like it.

Any ideas what I might be missing?
This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments. Please be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.


burns.jason at gmail

Apr 25, 2012, 10:46 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1223 views)
Permalink
Re: CCM 7.x test system?? [In reply to]

Or install the Windows binaries for the NTPd process.
http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

Or install Linux and just use ntpd

-Jason

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Buchanan, James <jbuchanan [at] presidio>wrote:

> Windows uses SNTP instead of standard NTP. Try using a router as your NTP
> server.****
>
> ** **
>
> *James Buchanan*|* UC Technology Manager *| *Presidio South *|*Presidio Networked Solutions
> *****
>
> *12 Cadillac Dr Ste 130 Brentwood, TN 37027 *|* **jbuchanan [at] presidio**
> *
>
> *D: 615-866-5729* | *F:615-866-5781* *www.presidio.com*<http://www.presidio.com/>
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck [mailto:
> cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck] *On Behalf Of *Countryman, Edward
> *Sent:* Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:02 PM
> *To:* cisco-voip voyp list
> *Subject:* [cisco-voip] CCM 7.x test system??****
>
> ** **
>
> Ive trying to build a test system for a 7.1.3 environment on VM ware. **
> **
>
> ** **
>
> The test environment is stand alone, no production or internet access,
> just a small lab we can use for testing and training. ****
>
> ** **
>
> When trying to load CCM on the first server, it stalls wanting a NTP
> server. I build a small win2003 server on the same test network and
> enabled win32 time services but CCM doesnt like it.****
>
> ** **
>
> Any ideas what I might be missing? ****
>
> *This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of
> the intended recipient and may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please
> notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and
> attachments. Please be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the
> taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or
> attached to this message is prohibited.*****
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-voip mailing list
> cisco-voip [at] puck
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip
>
>


tfrazee at gmail

May 2, 2012, 7:10 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1166 views)
Permalink
Re: CCM 7.x test system?? [In reply to]

I've tried the meinberg ntp server software. I couldnt get ucm 8.6(2a)SU1
to like it.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Jason Burns <burns.jason [at] gmail> wrote:

> Or install the Windows binaries for the NTPd process.
> http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm
>
> Or install Linux and just use ntpd
>
> -Jason
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Buchanan, James <jbuchanan [at] presidio>wrote:
>
>> Windows uses SNTP instead of standard NTP. Try using a router as your NTP
>> server.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> *James Buchanan*|* UC Technology Manager *| *Presidio South *|*Presidio Networked Solutions
>> *****
>>
>> *12 Cadillac Dr Ste 130 Brentwood, TN 37027 *|* **jbuchanan [at] presidio*
>> **
>>
>> *D: 615-866-5729* | *F:615-866-5781* *www.presidio.com*<http://www.presidio.com/>
>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> *From:* cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck [mailto:
>> cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck] *On Behalf Of *Countryman, Edward
>> *Sent:* Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:02 PM
>> *To:* cisco-voip voyp list
>> *Subject:* [cisco-voip] CCM 7.x test system??****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Ive trying to build a test system for a 7.1.3 environment on VM ware. *
>> ***
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> The test environment is stand alone, no production or internet access,
>> just a small lab we can use for testing and training. ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> When trying to load CCM on the first server, it stalls wanting a NTP
>> server. I build a small win2003 server on the same test network and
>> enabled win32 time services but CCM doesnt like it.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Any ideas what I might be missing? ****
>>
>> *This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of
>> the intended recipient and may contain information that is privileged,
>> confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please
>> notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and
>> attachments. Please be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the
>> taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or
>> attached to this message is prohibited.*****
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> cisco-voip mailing list
>> cisco-voip [at] puck
>> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-voip mailing list
> cisco-voip [at] puck
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip
>
>


roger.wiklund at gmail

May 3, 2012, 2:08 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1158 views)
Permalink
Re: CCM 7.x test system?? [In reply to]

I used the tip at the bottom of this page:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverPN/thread/ffb1df0b-7c6e-4b2d-8fdf-b4ca0c014266

Worked great on 8.x


On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Tim Frazee <tfrazee [at] gmail> wrote:
> I've tried the meinberg ntp server software. I couldnt get ucm 8.6(2a)SU1 to
> like it.
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Jason Burns <burns.jason [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Or install the Windows binaries for the NTPd process.
>> http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm
>>
>> Or install Linux and just use ntpd
>>
>> -Jason
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Buchanan, James <jbuchanan [at] presidio>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Windows uses SNTP instead of standard NTP. Try using a router as your NTP
>>> server.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> James Buchanan|UC Technology Manager | Presidio South |
>>> PresidioNetworkedSolutions
>>>
>>> 12 Cadillac Dr Ste 130 Brentwood, TN 37027 | jbuchanan [at] presidio
>>>
>>> D: 615-866-5729| F:615-866-5781 www.presidio.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> From: cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck
>>> [mailto:cisco-voip-bounces [at] puck] On Behalf Of Countryman, Edward
>>> Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:02 PM
>>> To: cisco-voip voyp list
>>> Subject: [cisco-voip] CCM 7.x test system??
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Ive trying to build a test system for a 7.1.3 environment on VM ware.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The test environment is stand alone, no production or internet access,
>>> just a small lab we can use for testing and training.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> When trying to load CCM on the first server, it stalls wanting a NTP
>>> server. I build a small win2003 server on the same test network and enabled
>>> win32 time services but CCM doesnt like it.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Any ideas what I might be missing?
>>>
>>> This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of
>>> the intended recipientand may contain information that is privileged,
>>> confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please
>>> notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and
>>> attachments. Please be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the
>>> taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or
>>> attached to this message is prohibited.
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> cisco-voip mailing list
>>> cisco-voip [at] puck
>>> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> cisco-voip mailing list
>> cisco-voip [at] puck
>> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-voip mailing list
> cisco-voip [at] puck
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip
>

_______________________________________________
cisco-voip mailing list
cisco-voip [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip


cisco-voip at ibh

May 4, 2012, 1:33 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1166 views)
Permalink
Re: CCM 7.x test system?? [In reply to]

Hi Edward,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:02:21PM -0500, Countryman, Edward wrote:
> I???ve trying to build a test system for a 7.1.3 environment on VM ware.
>
> The test environment is stand alone, no production or internet access, just a small lab we can use for testing and training.
>
> When trying to load CCM on the first server, it stalls wanting a NTP server.
> I build a small win2003 server on the same test network and enabled win32 time services but CCM doesn???t like it.
>
> Any ideas what I might be missing?

Recent MS server OSes seem to be decent NTP servers at least when running
as an AD domain controller. That being said, I wouldn't know why I would
go the hassle of using Windows for that purpose. When building isolated
networks to stage a CUCM installation (on hardware or VM), I usually drop
a VM I call "infra" to emulate all aspects of the target environment in
a sufficiently correct way. That means it's usually having the default
gateway address in the network, runs a DNS server, NTP server, DHCP server
and whatnot. It also binds those servers to the addresses they are really
expected to run on, so the CCM installation can be built with everything
correctly configured from the get-go. For this VM I use Linux (Debian in
my case), as everything that may be needed is easily found there and
hacking the networking to emulate infrastructure is easier than ever.
It also allows you to run the SFTP server needed for DRF and upgrades,
again bound to the expected address/name if you want.

Running an isolated NTP server is a bit of a problem though, as a properly
configured NTP server will by default stay on stratum 16 when not externally
synced - so it isn't of any use to clients. You will either have to provide
a gateway machine to the outside (no router, I use another Linux VM with
all the necessary proxies including another ntpd, but with forwarding disabled
as strictly as possible), or to run the NTP server only synced to its own
local clock. For the latter, with ntpd, you need something like that in
ntp.conf:

server 127.127.1.1
fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 5

HTH,
Andre.
--
Cool .signatures are so 90s...

-> Andre Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-
_______________________________________________
cisco-voip mailing list
cisco-voip [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-voip

Cisco voip RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.