Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

upgrade path question

ewellnitzvoip at gmail

upgrade path question

Okay,

I was under the impression that the following wasn't supported but a
Cisco partner put this in their upgrade plan for moving from 6.1.3 to
8.6(2a).

“Install an exact VM copy of the current Call Manager including the ES/SRs
on the new UCS Hardware.

Export a copy of the current Call Manager Publisher database and restore it
on the new VM. Change the

IP Address of the new virtualized Publisher to match the new IP scheme and
clean up any IP Addresses &

Service URLs that pointed towards the old environment. Proceed to upgrade
the Publisher to version

8.0(3) then to 8.6(2a).”

I've never seen this in any of the supported upgrade methods in any Cisco
document. It would also seem you'd run into licensing issues. I also
thought someone here wanted to do something similar and the finding was the
database would still be marked as unsuppoted. Maybe I'm remembering
incorrectly.

Thanks!

VanMarenNP at ldschurch

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

I don't see anything wrong with the stated plan.

Here is the doc
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_6_1/cluster/clstr861.html

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

That's very interesting. Learn something new from this group almost every
day.

I'm sure it would be fine provided you don't need too much redesign.

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Nate VanMaren <VanMarenNP [at] ldschurch>wrote:

> I don’t see anything wrong with the stated plan.****
>
> ** **
>
> Here is the doc****
>

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_6_1/cluster/clstr861.html
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

mikenorton at pwsd76

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

I thought 6.1 is not supported in VMware? I don't see anywhere in the document you linked to that says it would be okay.

-mn

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

It is working. Just make sure you don't start the CM services till you are at the final version with actual license file.

I have done upgrade from 3.x to 8.0 or 8.5 in VMware environment. A couple of upgrade before I can do DMA. A couple of upgrade before I can hit 8.x since DMA don't go 8.x directly.

Unsupported method but definitely it's working.

Sent from my iPhone
Pls pardon my fat fingers.

On 24 Apr, 2012, at 12:45 AM, "Norton, Mike" <mikenorton [at] pwsd76> wrote:

> I thought 6.1 is not supported in VMware? I don¡¯t see anywhere in the document you linked to that says it would be okay.
>
> -mn

VanMarenNP at ldschurch

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

I forgot about the 6.1.3, but I saw 8.0.3, and that would work.

...You have to upgrade the Pub to a new version that is supported on VM, which may entail a bridge upgrade.

-Nate

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

If your current partner is using that upgrade plan then you need to switch
partners immediately. If you install any version prior to 8.x on VMWARE the
database will be marked as "UNSUPPORTED"

If you need to move from 6.x to 8.x on VMWARE without disrupting the
production environment then you should use the swing server technique.

1) Install current CM version w/ patches on swing server

2) Backup/restore to swing server

3) Upgrade swing server to current 8.x version

4) Backup/restore from swing server to VMWARE

5) Install licenses and test.

6) Swap cables to VMWARE

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

That was my first reaction, Mike. This isn't the worst of the unneccessary
risk taking in their plan.

Fortunately, I've done a similar migration before so I'm preparing a plan
based off that.

I may have a few more questions over the next ouple of days while I prepare
to sell it to upper management.

cisco-voip at ibh

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

Hi Ki Wi,

I'm currently trying to do something similar, coming from 6.1(2).

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 01:36:25AM +0800, Ki Wi wrote:
> It is working. Just make sure you don't start the CM services till you are at the final version with actual license file.

I've tried that:

* Establish VM with same MAC as the original Publisher
* Install 6.1(2) and restore Pub from DRF backup
--> Here I have a fully working (and licensed) copy of the Pub running
* Upgrade to 6.1.4.2190-3 as 6.1(2) is mostly a dead end for upgrades
--> Still a licensed and working Pub
* Now disable all services that can be disabled, install
ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.1.cop, then upgrade to 7.1.5.33900-10.

After that step, all services are still deactivated. But the next step
of upgrading to 8.6(2a) is made impossible by the silly

Upgrades are prohibited during Licensing Grace Period.

problem. I hoped you found a way around that (in not starting services),
but either I pulled it off wrongly, or it doesn't always work. Must I
make sure they never run once after DRF import? Or maybe things are
different when coming from DMA then they are when coming from DRF...

> I have done upgrade from 3.x to 8.0 or 8.5 in VMware environment. A couple of upgrade before I can do DMA. A couple of upgrade before I can hit 8.x since DMA don't go 8.x directly.

That sounds extremly interesting. I'd like to know which versions you used
exactly, as this seems to make a difference more often than not. For
instance, I'm trying to hop via 7.1.5 mainly because going from 6.1.x
to 8.x doesn't seem to work in a VM, it's always ending with a hardware
platform unsupported bailout (seemingly due to wrong detection of disk
size).

> Unsupported method but definitely it's working.

Sometimes you have no other way to upgrade. Cisco seems to think that you
should have a complete lab copy of your production hardware or even do
your upgrades in the production environment. Even the swing server method
is unnecessarily complicated by the prevention of upgrades in license
grace period. I'm getting the feeling that they don't think a lot about
the people who actually have to maintain those installations. Reading
http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Licensing_Model_for_Virtualized_UC_Applications
almost made me cry. Now you have to relicense when your SMTP server changes
name? My Goodness...

TIA,
Andre.
--
Cool .signatures are so 90s...

-> Andre Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-

kiwi.voice at gmail

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

Hi Beck,
Do you have 7.1.4 something ? Can you try that? Hope you have took some snapshot along the way.

Sent from my iPhone
Pls pardon my fat fingers.

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

Sorry,I found a note that I went 7.1.3 to 8.5.

7.1.4 might work as well. Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone
Pls pardon my fat fingers.

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

There seems to have been a lapse of planning on Cisco's part especially
when moving from physical hardware to VMWare. They are pusing people
toward VMWare but don't give us a decent upgrade path to get there.

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

Re Ki Wi,

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:43:42PM +0800, Ki Wi wrote:
> Sorry,I found a note that I went 7.1.3 to 8.5.

Ok, no problem. I also tried with 7.1.3 before, so all is prepped for
testing that again with deactivated CM services. And you're right, of
course I've got a snapshot to restart this. Doing so is a good idea when
you're probing the combinatorial explosion of possible upgrade paths.

> 7.1.4 might work as well. Not sure.

Might try that as well. BTW, did you use a specific OVF to build your VM?
I just used the OVF Cisco publishes for 8.6(2a) as that was my intended
target anyway, but I'm not sure that was a good idea. Maybe all the dead
ends I found where upgrades from 6.1.x to 8.x cannot deal with the disks
are due to a too modern driver selection that isn't expected in those
old versions when they (unsupportedly) run on VMware. Might even try an
emulated IDE drive...

Thanks,
Andre.

Re: upgrade path question [In reply to]

For IDE to SCSI disk conversion, just remove the IDE disk without removing the actual disk image. add scsi controller. Add a Scsi disk with existing image ( the IDE image you have in the datastore).

It should boot up.

Sent from my iPhone
Pls pardon my fat fingers.