Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Cheap CME platform?

tknchris at gmail

Feb 14, 2012, 2:57 PM

Cheap CME platform?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a cheap platform for cme? I am new to cisco voice and
want to learn it. even if its starting out with cme 4.x or something old. i
have a 2620xm but i dont have enough flash or ram and it looks to be almost
$300 to upgrade it. also have a 1841 but it doesnt appear to be able to run
cme. Im hoping i can find something cheaper to run cme on. I also stumbled
across the fact that you can boot IOS via TFTP so I was thinking maybe I
could squeeze things into a smaller flash by putting some bits on TFTP.

Thanks for any advice you have
chris

lelio at uoguelph

Feb 14, 2012, 4:26 PM

Re: Cheap CME platform? [In reply to]

I taught myself SRST by using TFTP loading. It works fine, just takes a little while (a UPS is your friend).

Just make sure your boot loader image supports the network interface you'll be using to connect to your TFTP server.

You'll be using an older version, but at least you'll get your feet wet.

Alternatively you can find some Cisco routers on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone...

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

On Feb 14, 2012, at 5:58 PM, chris <tknchris [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a cheap platform for cme? I am new to cisco voice and want to learn it. even if its starting out with cme 4.x or something old. i have a 2620xm but i dont have enough flash or ram and it looks to be almost $300 to upgrade it. also have a 1841 but it doesnt appear to be able to run cme. Im hoping i can find something cheaper to run cme on. I also stumbled across the fact that you can boot IOS via TFTP so I was thinking maybe I could squeeze things into a smaller flash by putting some bits on TFTP.
>
> Thanks for any advice you have
> chris

Dennis.Heim at cdw

Feb 14, 2012, 5:31 PM

Re: Cheap CME platform? [In reply to]

You may also be able to play with some GNS3, but I am not 100% sure.

Dennis Heim
Senior Engineer (Unified Communications)
CDW Advanced Technology Services
10610 9th Place
Bellevue, WA 98004

425.310.5299 Single Number Reach (WA)
317.569.4255 Single Number Reach (IN)
317.569.4201 Fax
dennis.heim [at] cdw
cdw.com/content/solutions/unified-communications/

I taught myself SRST by using TFTP loading. It works fine, just takes a little while (a UPS is your friend).

Just make sure your boot loader image supports the network interface you'll be using to connect to your TFTP server.

You'll be using an older version, but at least you'll get your feet wet.

Alternatively you can find some Cisco routers on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone...

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

On Feb 14, 2012, at 5:58 PM, chris <tknchris [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a cheap platform for cme? I am new to cisco voice and want to learn it. even if its starting out with cme 4.x or something old. i have a 2620xm but i dont have enough flash or ram and it looks to be almost $300 to upgrade it. also have a 1841 but it doesnt appear to be able to run cme. Im hoping i can find something cheaper to run cme on. I also stumbled across the fact that you can boot IOS via TFTP so I was thinking maybe I could squeeze things into a smaller flash by putting some bits on TFTP.
>
> Thanks for any advice you have
> chris

ealeatherman at gmail

Feb 14, 2012, 5:44 PM

Re: Cheap CME platform? [In reply to]

Seems like this would work as long as you can get your GNS3 pc tied
into a physical network for some IP phones. not sure how you would
simulate tdm or pots lines tho.

as an aside, i'm using a GNS3 virtual machine from
http://rednectar.net/gns3-workbench/ to study for ccnp route, its
really handy.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Dennis Heim <Dennis.Heim [at] cdw> wrote:
> You may also be able to play with some GNS3, but I am not 100% sure.
>
> Dennis Heim
> Senior Engineer (Unified Communications)
> CDW  Advanced Technology Services
> 10610 9th Place
> Bellevue, WA 98004
>
> 425.310.5299 Single Number Reach (WA)
> 317.569.4255 Single Number Reach (IN)
> 317.569.4201 Fax
> dennis.heim [at] cdw
> cdw.com/content/solutions/unified-communications/

Ed Leatherman

foryanto at gmail

Feb 14, 2012, 5:44 PM

Re: Cheap CME platform? [In reply to]

You can provide with 48 flash and 256 dram, make sure your bootrom is 12.2(8cmong) or higher for maximizing memory and flash and srst, you can start with cme 3 would be fine in your current box.

Cheers,

---
- Foryanto J. Wiguna -

Sent from BlackBerry Device