Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Check and verify security password on a CUCM 7.1

akoul at dataways

Oct 4, 2011, 9:37 AM

Check and verify security password on a CUCM 7.1

Hi all,
it there a way to verify a given security password on a server?
I have a cluster which was installed by someone else.
I am using the DRS and have a valid backup but as far as i know, if i
ever wanted to restore the config on a new server, the procedure will
ask for the old security password.
The new IT gave me the OS password but not the security password.
I cannot risk to start the recovery procedure without being sure about it.
Also, i wouldn't like to change it through the procedure that cisco
gives if it is not necessary.

Thanks
Anthony

avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail

Oct 10, 2011, 9:39 PM

Re: Check and verify security password on a CUCM 7.1 [In reply to]

Since no one has responded to this, I'll make a small suggestion that may
work for some people.

Build a new sub in vmware, or on spare hardware, and try to add it to the
cluster. The process should ask you for the cluster security password, and
you can guess away at it with no harm to your production system.

I have never tried this, so use at your own risk. If nothing else, this was
a free bump, and no some one smarter than I can reply. =)

-Anthony

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Anthony Kouloglou <akoul [at] dataways>wrote:

> Hi all,
> it there a way to verify a given security password on a server?
> I have a cluster which was installed by someone else.
> I am using the DRS and have a valid backup but as far as i know, if i ever
> wanted to restore the config on a new server, the procedure will ask for the
> old security password.
> The new IT gave me the OS password but not the security password.
> I cannot risk to start the recovery procedure without being sure about it.
> Also, i wouldn't like to change it through the procedure that cisco gives
> if it is not necessary.
>
> Thanks
> Anthony

akoul at dataways

Oct 11, 2011, 1:14 AM

Re: Check and verify security password on a CUCM 7.1 [In reply to]

Hi Anthony,
you are right about the procedure.
I think it would work. Obviously there would be licensing problems if
the VM starts but that's not our case.

Anyway, i am going to change the security password via cli (the
procedure looks smooth and easy!) and then get a backup.
In that way, i am going to be sure that the backup would work if ever
needed :-)
Thanks for your time

Regards
Anthony

On 11-Oct-11 07:39, Anthony Holloway wrote:
> Since no one has responded to this, I'll make a small suggestion that
> may work for some people.
>
> Build a new sub in vmware, or on spare hardware, and try to add it to
> the cluster. The process should ask you for the cluster security
> password, and you can guess away at it with no harm to your production
> system.
>
> I have never tried this, so use at your own risk. If nothing else,
> this was a free bump, and no some one smarter than I can reply. =)
>
> -Anthony
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Anthony Kouloglou <akoul [at] dataways
> <mailto:akoul [at] dataways>> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> it there a way to verify a given security password on a server?
> I have a cluster which was installed by someone else.
> I am using the DRS and have a valid backup but as far as i know,
> if i ever wanted to restore the config on a new server, the
> procedure will ask for the old security password.
> The new IT gave me the OS password but not the security password.
> I cannot risk to start the recovery procedure without being sure
> about it.
> Also, i wouldn't like to change it through the procedure that
> cisco gives if it is not necessary.
>
> Thanks
> Anthony

wsisk at cisco

Oct 11, 2011, 9:04 AM

Re: Check and verify security password on a CUCM 7.1 [In reply to]

Be careful when changing the password. There are a few known side effects that are "problematic":

9 CSCth87452 DB service is down, after changing the security password
2 CSCtn79868 pwrecovery tool resetting only sftpuser password

Regards,
Wes

I think it would work. Obviously there would be licensing problems if the VM starts but that's not our case.

Anyway, i am going to change the security password via cli (the procedure looks smooth and easy!) and then get a backup.
In that way, i am going to be sure that the backup would work if ever needed :-)
Thanks for your time

Regards
Anthony

On 11-Oct-11 07:39, Anthony Holloway wrote:

> Since no one has responded to this, I'll make a small suggestion that may work for some people.
>
> Build a new sub in vmware, or on spare hardware, and try to add it to the cluster. The process should ask you for the cluster security password, and you can guess away at it with no harm to your production system.
>
> I have never tried this, so use at your own risk. If nothing else, this was a free bump, and no some one smarter than I can reply. =)
>
> -Anthony
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Anthony Kouloglou <akoul [at] dataways> wrote:
> Hi all,
> it there a way to verify a given security password on a server?
> I have a cluster which was installed by someone else.
> I am using the DRS and have a valid backup but as far as i know, if i ever wanted to restore the config on a new server, the procedure will ask for the old security password.
> The new IT gave me the OS password but not the security password.
> I cannot risk to start the recovery procedure without being sure about it.
> Also, i wouldn't like to change it through the procedure that cisco gives if it is not necessary.
>
> Thanks
> Anthony

akoul at dataways

Oct 12, 2011, 12:19 AM

Re: Check and verify security password on a CUCM 7.1 [In reply to]

Hi Wes, thanks for the update.
So you suggest to raise a TAC before i do the procedure of the password
reset?

Best Regards,
Anthony

wsisk at cisco

Oct 12, 2011, 6:14 AM

Re: Check and verify security password on a CUCM 7.1 [In reply to]

Anthony,

Not at all. Just be aware of those. If your specific version and configuration are affected then plan for the extra overhead required to recover.

Regards,
Wes