Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

alt-battery-feed feed2 question

kevin.damisch at vitalsite

Oct 28, 2010, 11:19 AM

alt-battery-feed feed2 question

Any issues with configuring the "alt-battery-feed feed2" command on all 24 ports of a VG224? Customer is questioning the power supply ability in doing this for all ports.

Thanks,
Kevin

________________________________

This communication (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Vital Support Systems at 515 334 5700 and delete or destroy all copies and the original document.

jbuchanan at presidio

Oct 28, 2010, 2:04 PM

Re: alt-battery-feed feed2 question [In reply to]

Hello,

I have a customer doing this to accommodate auto dialers in defribulators with no issues.

Thanks,

James Buchanan | Technology Manager, UC | South Region | Presidio Networked Solutions
12 Cadillac Dr, Suite 130, Brentwood, TN 37027 | jbuchanan [at] presidio
D: 615-866-5729 | F: 615-866-5781 | www.presidio.com
CCIE #25863, Voice

Any issues with configuring the "alt-battery-feed feed2" command on all 24 ports of a VG224? Customer is questioning the power supply ability in doing this for all ports.

Thanks,
Kevin

________________________________

This communication (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Vital Support Systems at 515 334 5700 and delete or destroy all copies and the original document.

JBF005 at shsu

Nov 1, 2010, 10:22 AM

Re: alt-battery-feed feed2 question [In reply to]

We do the same thing, but not on all 24 ports, just the one's demanding it. We haven't seen any problems stemming from it. Let us know if you run into anything though.

Any issues with configuring the "alt-battery-feed feed2" command on all 24 ports of a VG224? Customer is questioning the power supply ability in doing this for all ports.

Thanks,
Kevin

________________________________

This communication (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Vital Support Systems at 515 334 5700 and delete or destroy all copies and the original document.

lelio at uoguelph

Nov 1, 2010, 11:10 AM

Re: alt-battery-feed feed2 question [In reply to]

Curious. What does this do?

Sent from my iPod

On Nov 1, 2010, at 2:08 PM, "Fuermann, Jason" <JBF005 [at] shsu> wrote:

> We do the same thing, but not on all 24 ports, just the one's demanding it. We haven't seen any problems stemming from it. Let us know if you run into anything though.

Nov 1, 2010, 11:57 AM

Re: alt-battery-feed feed2 question [In reply to]

It up's the voltage on the port for devices that want high voltage to operate. If I remember correctly, it brings it to about 46V.

On Nov 1, 2010, at 2:08 PM, "Fuermann, Jason" <JBF005 [at] shsu> wrote:

> We do the same thing, but not on all 24 ports, just the one's demanding it. We haven't seen any problems stemming from it. Let us know if you run into anything though.

Nov 1, 2010, 11:58 AM

Re: alt-battery-feed feed2 question [In reply to]

Cool. But still below the 48V standard. ;)

Good to know though.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
- LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)

It up's the voltage on the port for devices that want high voltage to operate. If I remember correctly, it brings it to about 46V.

On Nov 1, 2010, at 2:08 PM, "Fuermann, Jason" <JBF005 [at] shsu> wrote:

> We do the same thing, but not on all 24 ports, just the one's demanding it. We haven't seen any problems stemming from it. Let us know if you run into anything though.

Nov 1, 2010, 12:26 PM

It up's the voltage on the port for devices that want high voltage to operate. If I remember correctly, it brings it to about 46V.

On Nov 1, 2010, at 2:08 PM, "Fuermann, Jason" <JBF005 [at] shsu> wrote:

> We do the same thing, but not on all 24 ports, just the one's demanding it. We haven't seen any problems stemming from it. Let us know if you run into anything though.

Nov 1, 2010, 12:35 PM

Re: alt-battery-feed feed2 question [In reply to]

This has reference to a standards body article number.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/327783-phantom-power.html

Sent from my iPod

mikenorton at pwsd76

Nov 1, 2010, 1:54 PM

Re: alt-battery-feed feed2 question [In reply to]

The discussion in that link is about phantom power for microphones in the pro audio world, not about phone lines in the telecom world. IIRC, phantom power is usually defined as 9-52 V but is almost always 48 V in practice. Wonder if telecom definitions are the same way, where technically a wide range is supposed to be allowed but industry has settled on a more specific value and if you don’t follow it can cause interop issues.

--
Mike Norton
I.T. Support

On Nov 1, 2010, at 2:08 PM, "Fuermann, Jason" <JBF005 [at] shsu<mailto:JBF005 [at] shsu>> wrote:

> We do the same thing, but not on all 24 ports, just the one's demanding it. We haven't seen any problems stemming from it. Let us know if you run into anything though.

Nov 1, 2010, 2:04 PM

Re: alt-battery-feed feed2 question [In reply to]

eeeek!

sorry. i was reading it on my ipod and didn't catch that part. although i caught it on another article, which is why i kept on looking.

thanks for catching that!

---