off into some sort of maybe amplifier so something to feed the speakers?)

Would appreciate any insight.

ben.story at gmail

Re: FXS or ATA for paging [In reply to]

It depends on the paging system. If it's a something like a Valcom that has
an FXO port on it, an FXS on the router will do the trick. Some systems
though need and E&M port.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 7:27 AM, David Zhars <dzhars [at] gmail> wrote:

> I have a building with a 2801 and a 4 port FXS card in it. Overhead
> speakers throughout the building.
> I'm trying to figure out, what's the easiest way to do a paging scenario
> with this? Is there anyway to use the FXS card, or just buy an external ATA
> hooked into the 3560? Also don't I need another box (I think the ATA goes
> off into some sort of maybe amplifier so something to feed the speakers?)
>
> Would appreciate any insight.

Ben Story
CCSP, CCNA, CCNA Wireless, CCDA
ben.story [at] gmail

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today. --
Abraham Lincoln

lelio at uoguelph

Re: FXS or ATA for paging [In reply to]

Take a look at the Bogen TAM-B. It will allow you to connect an FXS
port and take care of the disconnect for you.

Lelio Fulgenzi, Senior Analyst
Computing & Communications
University of Guelph
519-824-4120 x56354

...sent from my iPod - please pardon my fat fingers ;)

[XKJ2000]

On 2010-04-12, at 8:31 AM, Ben Story <ben.story [at] gmail> wrote:

> It depends on the paging system. If it's a something like a Valcom
> that has an FXO port on it, an FXS on the router will do the trick.
> Some systems though need and E&M port.
>
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 7:27 AM, David Zhars <dzhars [at] gmail> wrote:
> I have a building with a 2801 and a 4 port FXS card in it. Overhead
> speakers throughout the building.
> I'm trying to figure out, what's the easiest way to do a paging
> scenario with this? Is there anyway to use the FXS card, or just
> buy an external ATA hooked into the 3560? Also don't I need another
> box (I think the ATA goes off into some sort of maybe amplifier so
> something to feed the speakers?)
>
> Would appreciate any insight.

> Ben Story
> CCSP, CCNA, CCNA Wireless, CCDA
> ben.story [at] gmail
>
> "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it
> today. -- Abraham Lincoln

dzhars at gmail

Re: FXS or ATA for paging [In reply to]

Hmm the TAM-B looks like a pretty smooth fit for what I need.
How would I go about configuring FXO port 0/0/0 to do this, say when someone
dials *22 or something like that?? I can figure out the TAM-B wiring and
the background music, but configuring the 2801 for this seems a bit
strange....

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:34 AM, <lelio [at] uoguelph> wrote:

> Take a look at the Bogen TAM-B. It will allow you to connect an FXS port
> and take care of the disconnect for you.
>
> Lelio Fulgenzi, Senior Analyst
> Computing & Communications
> University of Guelph
> 519-824-4120 x56354
>
> ...sent from my iPod - please pardon my fat fingers ;)
>
> [XKJ2000]
>
> On 2010-04-12, at 8:31 AM, Ben Story <ben.story [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> It depends on the paging system. If it's a something like a Valcom that
> has an FXO port on it, an FXS on the router will do the trick. Some systems
> though need and E&M port.
>
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 7:27 AM, David Zhars < <dzhars [at] gmail>
> dzhars [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> I have a building with a 2801 and a 4 port FXS card in it. Overhead
>> speakers throughout the building.
>> I'm trying to figure out, what's the easiest way to do a paging scenario
>> with this? Is there anyway to use the FXS card, or just buy an external ATA
>> hooked into the 3560? Also don't I need another box (I think the ATA goes
>> off into some sort of maybe amplifier so something to feed the speakers?)
>>
>> Would appreciate any insight.

> Ben Story
> CCSP, CCNA, CCNA Wireless, CCDA
> <ben.story [at] gmail>ben.story [at] gmail
>
> "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today. --
> Abraham Lincoln

lelio at uoguelph

Re: FXS or ATA for paging [In reply to]

I was a bit worried about the TAM-B, but it was all for naught. The thing worked out of the box, no power supply is even needed from what I recall, so it's great.

You should be able to configure the FXS ports as SCCP via CallManager. I think you'll need the MAC address of the first fixed config ethernet port, and you might want to use a loopback address as well. Then you'll have to tell the FXS port to start using SCCP.

Here's what it looks like on a VG224, which should be very similar.

!
interface Loopback1
description Voice Network Loopback (SRST/Misc)
ip address <ipaddr> 255.255.255.255
h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr <ipaddr>
!
sccp local Loopback1
sccp ccm <sub1> identifier <sub1ID> [version 7.0 ]
sccp ccm <sub2> identifier <sub2ID> [version 7.0]
sccp
!
sccp ccm group <groupnum>
associate ccm <sub1ID> priority 1
associate ccm <sub2ID> priority 2
!
dial-peer voice 200 pots
service stcapp
port 2/0
!

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
Cooking with unix is easy. You just sed it and forget it.
- LFJ (with apologies to Mr. Popeil)