Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

MOH Beeping

cheesevoice at gmail

Feb 2, 2010, 9:53 AM

MOH Beeping

Okay I have a TAC case open and I have tried changing configuration
settings, cables and hardware...

CUCM 7.0.2.2000-5
Fixed audio from XM radio (MOH-USB-AUDIO) card

when a caller is placed on hold and the speaker is activated there is an
audible (and quite annoying) beeping sound playing over the top of the audio
file.

It is not audible on the handset or headset.

If I sniff the phone port and capture the audio file I can hear it.

If I record the audio file with my laptop (plugging mic cord into lappy
instead of MOH-USB) there is no beeping.
In my mind that eliminates the XM radio and cables, I have changed out
cables though, just in case.

I changes out MOH-USB cards and that also did nothing to eliminate the
issue.

I have upgraded firmware on the phones and that wasn't it either.
With the Sample Audio file (which is JAZZY) there is no beeping regardless
of handset or speaker.

Any suggestions?

peter.slow at gmail

Feb 2, 2010, 10:11 AM

Re: MOH Beeping [In reply to]

Kevin,
Cool! Let's fix it =) A. what happens when you plug the USB audio
device into your laptop, instead of going directly into it via the mic
cord? ..and B. can i see the packet capture or hear the resulting
audio?

-Peter

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Kevin Dunn <cheesevoice [at] gmail> wrote:
> Okay I have a TAC case open and I have tried changing configuration
> settings, cables and hardware...
>
> CUCM 7.0.2.2000-5
> Fixed audio from XM radio (MOH-USB-AUDIO) card
>
> when a caller is placed on hold and the speaker is activated there is an
> audible (and quite annoying) beeping sound playing over the top of the audio
> file.
>
> It is not audible on the handset or headset.
>
> If I sniff the phone port and capture the audio file I can hear it.
>
> If I record the audio file with my laptop (plugging mic cord into lappy
> instead of MOH-USB) there is no beeping.
> In my mind that eliminates the XM radio and cables, I have changed out
> cables though, just in case.
>
> I changes out MOH-USB cards and that also did nothing to eliminate the
> issue.
>
> I have upgraded firmware on the phones and that wasn't it either.
> With the Sample Audio file (which is JAZZY) there is no beeping regardless
> of handset or speaker.
>
> Any suggestions?

cheesevoice at gmail

Feb 2, 2010, 10:35 AM

Re: MOH Beeping [In reply to]

Peter

Here is the audio file.

I can plug the MOH-USB-AUDIO card into my laptop and I do not hear the
beeping.

Kevin

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Peter Slow <peter.slow [at] gmail> wrote:

> Kevin,
> Cool! Let's fix it =) A. what happens when you plug the USB audio
> device into your laptop, instead of going directly into it via the mic
> cord? ..and B. can i see the packet capture or hear the resulting
> audio?
>
> -Peter
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Kevin Dunn <cheesevoice [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Okay I have a TAC case open and I have tried changing configuration
> > settings, cables and hardware...
> >
> > CUCM 7.0.2.2000-5
> > Fixed audio from XM radio (MOH-USB-AUDIO) card
> >
> > when a caller is placed on hold and the speaker is activated there is an
> > audible (and quite annoying) beeping sound playing over the top of the
> audio
> > file.
> >
> > It is not audible on the handset or headset.
> >
> > If I sniff the phone port and capture the audio file I can hear it.
> >
> > If I record the audio file with my laptop (plugging mic cord into lappy
> > instead of MOH-USB) there is no beeping.
> > In my mind that eliminates the XM radio and cables, I have changed out
> > cables though, just in case.
> >
> > I changes out MOH-USB cards and that also did nothing to eliminate the
> > issue.
> >
> > I have upgraded firmware on the phones and that wasn't it either.
> > With the Sample Audio file (which is JAZZY) there is no beeping
> regardless
> > of handset or speaker.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Attachments: bad_au.zip (11.6 KB)

peter.slow at gmail

Feb 2, 2010, 11:39 AM

Re: MOH Beeping [In reply to]

hrm, i was hoping to hear the beeping, but i listened to the first
minute or so of the good_au.au and didnt hear it... is it an actual
beep noise, or is there a better way to describe it? I'm imagining
(and listening for) tone-on-hold type beeps.

-Peter

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Kevin Dunn <cheesevoice [at] gmail> wrote:
> grrr wrong file
>
> This is the correct one
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Kevin Dunn <cheesevoice [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> Here is the audio file.
>>
>> I can plug the MOH-USB-AUDIO card into my laptop and I do not hear the
>> beeping.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Peter Slow <peter.slow [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kevin,
>>> † Cool! Let's fix it =) A. what happens when you plug the USB audio
>>> device into your laptop, instead of going directly into it via the mic
>>> cord? ..and B. can i see the packet capture or hear the resulting
>>> audio?
>>>
>>> -Peter

wsisk at cisco

Feb 2, 2010, 12:07 PM

Re: MOH Beeping [In reply to]

In the very abstract this sounds like call waiting tone. Can you
clarify exactly what the user is doing when "caller is placed on hold
and the speaker is activated"? What buttons is the user pressing to
accomplish this?

concurrent detailed CCM and SDL traces and a packet capture of all
traffic to/from the phone could be used to isolate the source of this
tone rather quickly. You mention a TAC case, what is the number?

/Wes

On Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:53:17 PM, Kevin Dunn
<cheesevoice [at] gmail> wrote:
> Okay I have a TAC case open and I have tried changing configuration
> settings, cables and hardware...
>
> CUCM 7.0.2.2000-5
> Fixed audio from XM radio (MOH-USB-AUDIO) card
>
> when a caller is placed on hold and the speaker is activated there is
> an audible (and quite annoying) beeping sound playing over the top of
> the audio file.
>
> It is not audible on the handset or headset.
>
> If I sniff the phone port and capture the audio file I can hear it.
>
> If I record the audio file with my laptop (plugging mic cord into
> lappy instead of MOH-USB) there is no beeping.
> In my mind that eliminates the XM radio and cables, I have changed out
> cables though, just in case.
>
> I changes out MOH-USB cards and that also did nothing to eliminate the
> issue.
>
> I have upgraded firmware on the phones and that wasn't it either.
> With the Sample Audio file (which is JAZZY) there is no beeping
> regardless of handset or speaker.
>
> Any suggestions?

cheesevoice at gmail

Feb 2, 2010, 12:30 PM

Re: MOH Beeping [In reply to]

Sev3 SR 613458017 Udhay has been pretty helpful so far checking the
configuration.
the sniff files are associated with that case,m you should be able to see
them (otherwise I can add them in)

User experience:

I call my boss, he answers by pressing speaker button.
I place him on hold
He hears the "good.au" sound I enclosed for Peter to listen to

the sound is not unlike rapid repeated whistling...
I should note that when I use the handset I don't hear it, but when I
capture the packets it is still there, just not as loud

Kevin

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Wes Sisk <wsisk [at] cisco> wrote:

> In the very abstract this sounds like call waiting tone. Can you clarify
> exactly what the user is doing when "caller is placed on hold and the
> speaker is activated"? What buttons is the user pressing to accomplish
> this?
>
> concurrent detailed CCM and SDL traces and a packet capture of all traffic
> to/from the phone could be used to isolate the source of this tone rather
> quickly. You mention a TAC case, what is the number?
>
> /Wes
>

> On Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:53:17 PM, Kevin Dunn
> <cheesevoice [at] gmail> <cheesevoice [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> Okay I have a TAC case open and I have tried changing configuration
> settings, cables and hardware...
>
> CUCM 7.0.2.2000-5
> Fixed audio from XM radio (MOH-USB-AUDIO) card
>
> when a caller is placed on hold and the speaker is activated there is an
> audible (and quite annoying) beeping sound playing over the top of the audio
> file.
>
> It is not audible on the handset or headset.
>
> If I sniff the phone port and capture the audio file I can hear it.
>
> If I record the audio file with my laptop (plugging mic cord into lappy
> instead of MOH-USB) there is no beeping.
> In my mind that eliminates the XM radio and cables, I have changed out
> cables though, just in case.
>
> I changes out MOH-USB cards and that also did nothing to eliminate the
> issue.
>
> I have upgraded firmware on the phones and that wasn't it either.
> With the Sample Audio file (which is JAZZY) there is no beeping regardless
> of handset or speaker.
>
> Any suggestions?

mikenorton at pwsd76

Feb 2, 2010, 2:17 PM

Re: MOH Beeping [In reply to]

Listening to the capture, it sounds like ambient electrical/RF noise is getting into the analog audio signal. I'm surprised this isn't a more common problem. Server racks are probably one of the least ideal places to try to run unbalanced analog audio signals.

--
Mike Norton
I.T. Support
[...]

________________________________

wsisk at cisco

Feb 2, 2010, 3:37 PM

Re: MOH Beeping [In reply to]

Thanks Kevin,

So:
noise is not present recording from USB source to your laptop.
noise is present even in the packets transmitted over the wire to the
phone when USB device is connected to server.

Based on the nature of sound I agree with Mike that it sounds like
electrical interference. Are the server and rack grounded? When you
captured "good.au" what source of power and and ground was your laptop
using?

Do you have another analog source such as an iPod or mp3 player that
would use a different, or possibly floating ground, to test with?

You have eliminated most of the devices in the audio path. The only way
to isolate further inside the server is to use a root account to dump
audio directly off the linux DSP device before the IPVMSApp kernel
driver attempts to packetize it for transmission over the network. If
noise is present in that sample then it is either introduced by
electrical interface between the source and USB device or introduced in
the USB device itself.

/Wes

On Tuesday, February 02, 2010 5:17:53 PM, Norton, Mike
<mikenorton [at] pwsd76> wrote:

> Listening to the capture, it sounds like ambient electrical/RF noise
> is getting into the analog audio signal. I'm surprised this isn't a
> more common problem. Server racks are probably one of the least ideal
> places to try to run unbalanced analog audio signals.
>

> --
>
> Mike Norton
>
> I.T. Support
>
> Peace Wapiti School Division No. 76
>
> Helpdesk: 780-831-3080
>
> Direct: 780-831-3076

cheesevoice at gmail

Feb 2, 2010, 3:54 PM

Re: MOH Beeping [In reply to]

I will give it a shot

Thanks Les

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Wes Sisk <wsisk [at] cisco> wrote:

> Thanks Kevin,
>
> So:
> noise is not present recording from USB source to your laptop.
> noise is present even in the packets transmitted over the wire to the phone
> when USB device is connected to server.
>
> Based on the nature of sound I agree with Mike that it sounds like
> electrical interference. Are the server and rack grounded? When you
> captured "good.au" what source of power and and ground was your laptop
> using?
>
> Do you have another analog source such as an iPod or mp3 player that would
> use a different, or possibly floating ground, to test with?
>
> You have eliminated most of the devices in the audio path. The only way to
> isolate further inside the server is to use a root account to dump audio
> directly off the linux DSP device before the IPVMSApp kernel driver attempts
> to packetize it for transmission over the network. If noise is present in
> that sample then it is either introduced by electrical interface between the
> source and USB device or introduced in the USB device itself.
>
> /Wes
>

> On Tuesday, February 02, 2010 5:17:53 PM, Norton, Mike
> <mikenorton [at] pwsd76> <mikenorton [at] pwsd76> wrote:
>
> Listening to the capture, it sounds like ambient electrical/RF noise is
> getting into the analog audio signal. Iím surprised this isnít a more common
> problem. Server racks are probably one of the least ideal places to try to
> run unbalanced analog audio signals.
>

> --
>
> Mike Norton
>
> I.T. Support
>
> Peace Wapiti School Division No. 76
>
> Helpdesk: 780-831-3080
>
> Direct: 780-831-3076

peter.slow at gmail

Feb 3, 2010, 7:40 AM

Re: MOH Beeping [In reply to]

Touching on what Mike and Wes said, to test the interference idea...
I'm guessing you tried plugging the USB audio device into your laptop
at your desk or some place other than the rack. Can we see if you hear
the beeping if we put your laptop on top of the MCS server in the rack
and try it there? if it's RF interference it'll have to do with your
proximity to the device generating the RF noise.

-Peter

wsisk at cisco

Feb 9, 2010, 6:21 AM

Re: MOH Beeping [In reply to]

For the benefit of the list. Nice diagnosis by Kevin -

"I added a ground loop isolator to the input of the card and the noise
has been eliminated."

/Wes