Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Resetting a 7941 to Factory Defaults

jreed at swiftnews

Jul 17, 2009, 4:08 PM

Resetting a 7941 to Factory Defaults

Followed the instructions on the Cisco webpage for resetting a 7941 to
factory defaults. It indicates that if the reset is successful, the phone
will display the message Upgrading. It doesn't really say what's supposed
to happen after that. Plugged it back in but it isn't running through the
registration process. Been plugged in for quite a while now.

Any thoughts...
--
Jim Reed
Swift Communications, Inc.

rratliff at cisco

Jul 20, 2009, 7:00 AM

Re: Resetting a 7941 to Factory Defaults [In reply to]

The phone will have to be able to reach a TFTP server (set via DHCP)
that can give it the default phone load. When it gets to that stage
then the phone will upgrade it's load and you will see a message on
the LCD to reflect this.

You didn't indicate what the message on the phone's LCD is now but
I'd guess it either isn't getting a TFTP server from DHCP, not
getting DHCP, or isn't able to get the file it needs from the TFTP
server.

-Ryan

Followed the instructions on the Cisco webpage for resetting a 7941 to
factory defaults. It indicates that if the reset is successful, the
phone
will display the message Upgrading. It doesn't really say what's
supposed
to happen after that. Plugged it back in but it isn't running
through the
registration process. Been plugged in for quite a while now.

Any thoughts...
--
Jim Reed
Swift Communications, Inc.
970-683-5646 (Direct)
775-772-7666 (Cell)

acketen at hotmail

Jul 21, 2009, 7:08 AM

Re: Resetting a 7941 to Factory Defaults [In reply to]

Hi,

Let's plug the switch cable of the phone then while you are plugging the switch cable back to the ip phone sw port, you press and hold the # key for a while. Then while your phones lights on and off, sequentally start pressing 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 * 0 # Then your ip phone try to get firmware from the tftp server that you have referenced to. If IP Phone didn't get the firmware, take it to next to the regarded switch then plug it directly to there. Then make an observation.

By the way, while it is trying to get the firmware file, you can press the setting button then check the tftp server information.

I hope this is informative.

Regards,

Ahmet Can KETEN

> From: rratliff [at] cisco
> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:00:56 -0400
> To: jreed [at] swiftnews
> CC: cisco-voip [at] puck
> Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] Resetting a 7941 to Factory Defaults
>
> The phone will have to be able to reach a TFTP server (set via DHCP)
> that can give it the default phone load. When it gets to that stage
> then the phone will upgrade it's load and you will see a message on
> the LCD to reflect this.
>
> You didn't indicate what the message on the phone's LCD is now but
> I'd guess it either isn't getting a TFTP server from DHCP, not
> getting DHCP, or isn't able to get the file it needs from the TFTP
> server.
>
> -Ryan
>
> On Jul 17, 2009, at 7:08 PM, Jim Reed wrote:
>
> Followed the instructions on the Cisco webpage for resetting a 7941 to
> factory defaults. It indicates that if the reset is successful, the
> phone
> will display the message Upgrading. It doesn't really say what's
> supposed
> to happen after that. Plugged it back in but it isn't running
> through the
> registration process. Been plugged in for quite a while now.
>
> Any thoughts...
> --
> Jim Reed
> Swift Communications, Inc.
> 970-683-5646 (Direct)
> 775-772-7666 (Cell)

jdquigley at gmail

Jul 22, 2009, 6:38 AM

Resetting a 7941 to Factory Defaults [In reply to]

Recently we had issues with 7941/61 phones not taking firmware loads -- they
were hung up at "Upgrading" after a factory reset. The culprit was later
found - a routing issue directing a /29 network inside of the /24 DHCP
reservation scope into the digital abyss, but the damage was already done --
a factory reset corrupted the firmware load and subsequent factory resets
even in a lab environment brought no joy. There I was with 3 "bricks" and
the new moniker of the "phone mason" starting to catch on. This would not
do...

What is new news to me, and what I'd like to share after 3 nights of
frustration is how these were finally recovered. I was familiar with the
factory reset sequence of 123456789*0# after holding the # key during
power-up, but was unaware that I could format the device in case of a bad
firmware load with this sequence instead: 3491672850*#

The line appearance LEDs toggled red instead of amber once the code is
entered, but during formatting, the device appears stone-cold dead -- no
lights, LCD flicker, nada. Luckily a colleague of mine found out how to
create a serial cable so we could see what was going on via the AUX port,
otherwise I may have pulled the plug early. The terminal console showed the
entire process, and after the formatting the phone took a new firmware load
and was back up and operational. You can use the formatting sequence above
without the console access, but just remember that the phone will be
completely unresponsive for 5+ minutes while this happens. Patience.

The console access cable is definitely high on the geek-meter and IMHO it is
cool to watch the entire boot process and even look at the underlying *ix
filesystem once firmware is on it. Here are the pinouts to create your very
own AUX console cable (we used a rollover as they are abundant):

Straight Serial ----------------- 6 pin RJ11

Pin6 Pin2
Pin4 Pin3
Pin3 Pin4

CiscoRollOver Cable -------- 6 pin RJ11

Pin3 (Red) Pin2
Pin5 (Yellow) Pin3
Pin6 (Green) Pin4

Connect to serial port on computer with the following settings:

9600 baud
8 bits
N stop bits
1 parity
N flow control

Here are a couple usr/pwds to access the device software too if you're
inquisitive:

default/default
log/log
debug/debug

Adventure at your own risk. If ANYONE knows how to get around the
dynamically created root password, please let me know! This seems to be a
tightly guarded TAC secret.
I hope this helps!

Joe Quigley
VoIP Technician