Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

Forcing VLAN interface to UP state

Bagosi.Romeo at iqsys

Oct 1, 2008, 6:02 AM

Forcing VLAN interface to UP state

Hi,

Is there a way to force a VLAN interface (ex.: interface vlan 400) to UP/UP state on a Cisco UC520 (router, switch...), WITHOUT connecting a device to a port which is in the mentioned VLAN?

The current configuration is:
int vlan 400
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

show int vlan 400
Vlan300 is up, line protocol is down

Romeo Bagosi

jfitz at princeton

Oct 1, 2008, 6:28 AM

Re: Forcing VLAN interface to UP state [In reply to]

I believe if you just add the vlan to any trunk it will come up, even
if you don't need that vlan on the trunk port.

On Oct 1, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Bagosi Rómeó wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to force a VLAN interface (ex.: interface vlan 400)
> to UP/UP state on a Cisco UC520 (router, switch...), WITHOUT
> connecting a device to a port which is in the mentioned VLAN?
>
> The current configuration is:
> int vlan 400
> ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
>
> show int vlan 400
> Vlan300 is up, line protocol is down
>
> Thanks,
> Romeo Bagosi

aaronis at people

Oct 1, 2008, 6:44 AM

Re: Forcing VLAN interface to UP state [In reply to]

All vlan's are trunked by default?

I know for routing you can put a static in with a high AD pointing to the
null interface.. I don’t believe this will bring up the interface though.

Cheers,

Aaron.

I believe if you just add the vlan to any trunk it will come up, even
if you don't need that vlan on the trunk port.

On Oct 1, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Bagosi Rómeó wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to force a VLAN interface (ex.: interface vlan 400)
> to UP/UP state on a Cisco UC520 (router, switch...), WITHOUT
> connecting a device to a port which is in the mentioned VLAN?
>
> The current configuration is:
> int vlan 400
> ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
>
> show int vlan 400
> Vlan300 is up, line protocol is down
>
> Thanks,
> Romeo Bagosi

5:03 PM

MatlockK at exempla

Oct 1, 2008, 6:51 AM

Re: Forcing VLAN interface to UP state [In reply to]

By default yes. If a port is in trunking mode it trunks 1-4096, unless you explicitly change the list.

Another thing you can do is put a copper Ethernet port into that vlan, and do a 'no keepalive' on that port, which should bring the port up w/o anything hooked up to it. Once the port comes up the vlan should come up.

Ken Matlock
Network Analyst
(303) 467-4671
matlockk [at] exempla

I believe if you just add the vlan to any trunk it will come up, even
if you don't need that vlan on the trunk port.

On Oct 1, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Bagosi Rómeó wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to force a VLAN interface (ex.: interface vlan 400)
> to UP/UP state on a Cisco UC520 (router, switch...), WITHOUT
> connecting a device to a port which is in the mentioned VLAN?
>
> The current configuration is:
> int vlan 400
> ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
>
> show int vlan 400
> Vlan300 is up, line protocol is down
>
> Thanks,
> Romeo Bagosi

5:03 PM

tim at pelican

Oct 1, 2008, 6:53 AM

Re: Forcing VLAN interface to UP state [In reply to]

On Wed, October 1, 2008 2:02 pm, Bagosi Rómeó wrote:

> Is there a way to force a VLAN interface (ex.: interface vlan 400) to
> UP/UP state on a Cisco UC520 (router, switch...), WITHOUT connecting a
> device to a port which is in the mentioned VLAN?

'no autostate' on the vlan interface works for 87x. No idea if that's
valid or not for the UC520, sorry.

Regards,
Tim.

dgranzer at gmail

Oct 1, 2008, 7:05 AM

Re: Forcing VLAN interface to UP state [In reply to]

Hello,

I'm not surre how it works on UC520, but with 3750 (for example) when
you don't have a spanning tree instance for that vlan then the
interface state is up/down.

3750-1#sh spanning-tree vlan 24
Spanning tree instance(s) for vlan 24 does not exist.

3750-1#sh int vlan 24 | i Vlan
Vlan24 is up, line protocol is down

When enabling spanning tree

3750-1#sh spanning-tree vlan 24

VLAN0024
Spanning tree enabled protocol ieee

3750-1#sh int vlan 24 | i Vlan|Internet address
Vlan24 is up, line protocol is up
Internet address is 1.2.3.4/24

3750-1#ping 1.2.3.4

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 1.2.3.4, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5)

Regards,
David

On 10/1/08, Bagosi Rómeó <Bagosi.Romeo [at] iqsys> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to force a VLAN interface (ex.: interface vlan 400) to UP/UP state on a Cisco UC520 (router, switch...), WITHOUT connecting a device to a port which is in the mentioned VLAN?
>
> The current configuration is:
> int vlan 400
> ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
>
> show int vlan 400
> Vlan300 is up, line protocol is down
>
> Thanks,
> Romeo Bagosi

harbor235 at gmail

Oct 1, 2008, 7:29 AM

Re: Forcing VLAN interface to UP state [In reply to]

Is vlan 400 created on the switch?

harbor235 ;}

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:05 AM, David Granzer <dgranzer [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not surre how it works on UC520, but with 3750 (for example) when
> you don't have a spanning tree instance for that vlan then the
> interface state is up/down.
>
> 3750-1#sh spanning-tree vlan 24
> Spanning tree instance(s) for vlan 24 does not exist.
>
> 3750-1#sh int vlan 24 | i Vlan
> Vlan24 is up, line protocol is down
>
> When enabling spanning tree
>
> 3750-1#sh spanning-tree vlan 24
>
> VLAN0024
> Spanning tree enabled protocol ieee
>
> 3750-1#sh int vlan 24 | i Vlan|Internet address
> Vlan24 is up, line protocol is up
> Internet address is 1.2.3.4/24
>
> 3750-1#ping 1.2.3.4
>
> Type escape sequence to abort.
> Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 1.2.3.4, timeout is 2 seconds:
> !!!!!
> Success rate is 100 percent (5/5)
>

> Regards,
> David
>

> On 10/1/08, Bagosi Rómeó <Bagosi.Romeo [at] iqsys> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to force a VLAN interface (ex.: interface vlan 400) to
> UP/UP state on a Cisco UC520 (router, switch...), WITHOUT connecting a
> device to a port which is in the mentioned VLAN?
> >
> > The current configuration is:
> > int vlan 400
> > ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
> >
> > show int vlan 400
> > Vlan300 is up, line protocol is down
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Romeo Bagosi

Bagosi.Romeo at iqsys

Oct 2, 2008, 1:38 AM

Re: Forcing VLAN interface to UP state [In reply to]

Thank you for all! The no autostate command on the vlan interface helped our problem.

Best Regards,
Romeo B.