Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

replacing failed 3750 stackwise member

mrz at velvet

Sep 24, 2008, 7:50 PM

replacing failed 3750 stackwise member

Am I overthinking this? After yesterday's CRG failure
(blog.mozilla.com/it/) I was left with a failed 3750 and got the RMA
this evening.

Is it as simple as replacing the dead unit with this one? I've already
made sure the replacement is running the same IOS image as the stackwise
master.

adrian at creative

Sep 24, 2008, 7:54 PM

Re: replacing failed 3750 stackwise member [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008, matthew zeier wrote:
> Am I overthinking this? After yesterday's CRG failure
> (blog.mozilla.com/it/) I was left with a failed 3750 and got the RMA
> this evening.
>
> Is it as simple as replacing the dead unit with this one? I've already
> made sure the replacement is running the same IOS image as the stackwise
> master.

For extra joy, make sure you set its stack member ID to match the failed one.
That way the config that gets placed on the unit should match the config from
the failed unit, rather than it being assigned a new ID.

Do this before you plug it into the stack, or it'll get a new ID, the config
will be updated with even more ports, and you'll be left scratching your head
for a few minutes. :)

Uhm, I think it also inherits the SDM template from the master, but just to be
on the safe side "show sdm prefer" on the stack and make sure your new switch
matches that? (I -think- the SDM template only matters on aggregate switches
entering non-aggregate switch stacks; just keep it in mind if you see weird
stuff.)

Adrian

mrz at velvet

Sep 24, 2008, 8:01 PM

Re: replacing failed 3750 stackwise member [In reply to]

On 9/24/08 7:54 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008, matthew zeier wrote:
>> Am I overthinking this? After yesterday's CRG failure
>> (blog.mozilla.com/it/) I was left with a failed 3750 and got the RMA
>> this evening.
>>
>> Is it as simple as replacing the dead unit with this one? I've already
>> made sure the replacement is running the same IOS image as the stackwise
>> master.
>
> For extra joy, make sure you set its stack member ID to match the failed one.
> That way the config that gets placed on the unit should match the config from
> the failed unit, rather than it being assigned a new ID.

How's that done?

adrian at creative

Sep 24, 2008, 8:14 PM

Re: replacing failed 3750 stackwise member [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008, matthew zeier wrote:

> How's that done?

in conf mode:

switch 1 renumber <new number>

Then reload. Make sure you've provisioned the right switch type in the stack
(switch <new number> provision <switch type>).

(Have you read the 3750 stacking chapters in the IOS config guide? They cover
a whole lot of this stuff well enough.)

Adrian