Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

what to debug when calls disconnect "normally"?

keli at carocomp

Sep 16, 2008, 12:46 AM

what to debug when calls disconnect "normally"?

We have a client with CCME 4.3, 7940 and 7911 phones, and ISDN PRI
complaining about some calls being dropped prematurely (they claim only
calls to a certain, third party provider, not the one giving them the
ISDN line).

However, debugging isdn q931 shows only Cause code 0x8090, "normal call
clearing" for all the calls they've mentioned as prematurely disconnected.

While I tend to believe it's a problem on their provider's side, it
still disturbing, that the router is the one initiating the disconnect,
not the provider. The calls can last anywhere from 0 to 20 seconds, but
always disconnect normally.

Any idea, what to debug now, to find out more?

thanks,
Zoltan

jsteinberg at gmail

Sep 16, 2008, 6:09 AM

Re: what to debug when calls disconnect "normally"? [In reply to]

Is your client hearing an operator message/busy signal during the call which
is causing the calling party to end the call thus making it appear as though
the router is initiating the disconnect?

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 3:46 AM, Kelemen Zoltan <keli [at] carocomp> wrote:

> We have a client with CCME 4.3, 7940 and 7911 phones, and ISDN PRI
> complaining about some calls being dropped prematurely (they claim only
> calls to a certain, third party provider, not the one giving them the ISDN
> line).
>
> However, debugging isdn q931 shows only Cause code 0x8090, "normal call
> clearing" for all the calls they've mentioned as prematurely disconnected.
>
> While I tend to believe it's a problem on their provider's side, it still
> disturbing, that the router is the one initiating the disconnect, not the
> provider. The calls can last anywhere from 0 to 20 seconds, but always
> disconnect normally.
>
> Any idea, what to debug now, to find out more?
>
> thanks,
> Zoltan

rratliff at cisco

Sep 16, 2008, 6:34 AM

Re: what to debug when calls disconnect "normally"? [In reply to]

What leads you to believe the router is initiating the disconnect and
not the provider? On a q931 debug if you see an inbound disconnect
then it is the provider dropping the call. If the router is sending
it outbound then the voip leg (to the phone) has disconnected the
call in which case I'd look at a potential hookswitch issue.

If it is an inbound disconnect the best thing to do is call back the
person that just dropped and ask them what happened.

-Ryan

We have a client with CCME 4.3, 7940 and 7911 phones, and ISDN PRI
complaining about some calls being dropped prematurely (they claim
only calls to a certain, third party provider, not the one giving
them the ISDN line).

However, debugging isdn q931 shows only Cause code 0x8090, "normal
call clearing" for all the calls they've mentioned as prematurely
disconnected.

While I tend to believe it's a problem on their provider's side, it
still disturbing, that the router is the one initiating the
disconnect, not the provider. The calls can last anywhere from 0 to
20 seconds, but always disconnect normally.

Any idea, what to debug now, to find out more?

thanks,
Zoltan

keli at carocomp

Sep 16, 2008, 11:42 PM

Re: what to debug when calls disconnect "normally"? [In reply to]

Most probably this is what happened (in the mean time, the provider
reported, that they have solved the issue, and it was on their side)

And to Ryan: I know it was disconnected on the user side, since a) I was
seeing TX->DISCONNECT in the q931 debugs, and b) the cause code begins
with 0x80, that says, the code was originated at user's side.
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_3/debug/command/reference/disdn.html)

Thanks for the help anyway. Next time, I'll make sure to ask, how
exactly was the call disconnected :)

Zoltan