Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

Shutting Down Catalyst 6509?

felixnkansah at gmail

Jul 4, 2008, 5:29 AM

Shutting Down Catalyst 6509?

Hi Team,

I am in a lab trying my hands for the first time on a new Catalyst 6509 to
be deployed for a client.

It has some gigabitethernet and FWSM modules installed, along with one
supervisor engine.

It's started and loaded beautifully, all modules having passed the
diagnostics, etc.

My concern is 'how do I shut the switch down'?

I dont want to believe I can just power it off from the power source as I do
with the lower end versions. Or is it?

Please help answer this question along with any other caveats, links, etc
that you would like to share with me based on your experiences.

Regards,

Felix

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro

Jul 4, 2008, 5:42 AM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

Hi,

> My concern is 'how do I shut the switch down'?

real power down? turn one PSU off, then the other.
just ensure you've saved the config if you've made
changes beforehand!

alan

streiner at cluebyfour

Jul 4, 2008, 5:46 AM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, Felix Nkansah wrote:

> My concern is 'how do I shut the switch down'?
>
> I dont want to believe I can just power it off from the power source as I do
> with the lower end versions. Or is it?

There are on/off switches on each of the power supplies. Just twist the
switch from the on to the off position.

jms

felixnkansah at gmail

Jul 4, 2008, 5:54 AM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

Thanks guys.

I thought it has some special shutdown procedures or commands.

Thanks.

pavel.skovajsa at gmail

Jul 4, 2008, 6:48 AM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

There is a secret shutdown procedure but you will have to plug a mouse
into the supervisor, and move into left bottom corner, click start,
then shutdown :)

Just joking, sorry.

Pavel

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Felix Nkansah <felixnkansah [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> I thought it has some special shutdown procedures or commands.
>
> Thanks.

mcrocker at crocker

Jul 4, 2008, 7:06 AM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

> There is a secret shutdown procedure but you will have to plug a mouse
> into the supervisor, and move into left bottom corner, click start,
> then shutdown :)
>
> Just joking, sorry.

Of course you are joking, everyone knows it is the UPPER left corner,
apple menu -> Shutdown... Start button to shutdown, geeez!

peter at rathlev

Jul 4, 2008, 8:37 AM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 10:06 -0400, Matthew Crocker wrote:
> > There is a secret shutdown procedure but you will have to plug a mouse
> > into the supervisor, and move into left bottom corner, click start,
> > then shutdown :)
> >
> > Just joking, sorry.
>
> Of course you are joking, everyone knows it is the UPPER left corner,
> apple menu -> Shutdown... Start button to shutdown, geeez!

No no no, it's the upper RIGHT corner, where everybody sane places the
XFCE system menu. The Ca6500 runs Linux/XFCE, only the 7600s run OS
X. :-)

Anyway, it would be nice with a "graceful shutdown" for the whole box.
Things like letting the routing protocols converge before the router
shuts interfaces and such things. Are there any other ways than some TCL
for this?

Regards,
Peter

justin at justinshore

Jul 4, 2008, 11:25 PM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

Felix Nkansah wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> I thought it has some special shutdown procedures or commands.

Some of the linecards should be commanded to shutdown prior to cutting
power to the chassis. Interface linecards aren't a concern but those
that have special functions are essentially servers on a linecards.
IDSM2, FWSMs, ACEs, SLBs, and the WebVPN module I believe are examples
of linecards that should be told to shutdown gracefully before cutting
off power to the chassis. Figure out which modules are in what slot
with 'show module' and then use 'hw-module module X shutdown' to
shutdown the appropriate modules. 'show module' will tell you when the
linecard is offline.

Justin

risnaini at indo

Jul 5, 2008, 1:09 AM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

Mine at up right corner, I just moved my Bar :)

a. r.i. rangkayo sutan

Matthew Crocker wrote:
>> There is a secret shutdown procedure but you will have to plug a mouse
>> into the supervisor, and move into left bottom corner, click start,
>> then shutdown :)
>>
>> Just joking, sorry.
>
> Of course you are joking, everyone knows it is the UPPER left corner,
> apple menu -> Shutdown... Start button to shutdown, geeez!

Jul 5, 2008, 2:39 AM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

Justin Shore wrote:
> Felix Nkansah wrote:
>> Thanks guys.
>>
>> I thought it has some special shutdown procedures or commands.
>
> Some of the linecards should be commanded to shutdown prior to cutting
> power to the chassis. Interface linecards aren't a concern but those
> that have special functions are essentially servers on a linecards.
> IDSM2, FWSMs, ACEs, SLBs, and the WebVPN module I believe are examples
> of linecards that should be told to shutdown gracefully before cutting
> off power to the chassis. Figure out which modules are in what slot
> with 'show module' and then use 'hw-module module X shutdown' to
> shutdown the appropriate modules. 'show module' will tell you when
> the linecard is offline.
I nearly replied to this thread sooner, because I'd always been told
to shut down the FWSMs gracefully before pulling the power. But when I
google'd it I couldn't actually find anything to support this. The
closest I could find was from the FWSM FAQ at
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_qanda_item09186a00801e9e26.shtml
which states:

Q. The FWSM has a label that states, "Do not remove card while status
light is green or disk corruption may occur." What does this mean?

A. The firewall module should be removed only after you disable
power using one of these methods. (There is no preference for a
particular method.)

* Use the command-line interface (CLI) of the switch and issue
one of these commands.
o CatOS - set module power down mod
o Cisco IOSŪ Software - no power enable module slot
* Press the shutdown button on the blade.
* Physically power down the chassis.

You can remove the module safely when the status light is longer green.

So "no preference for a particular method" certainly seems to be saying
that it's OK to just pull the plug on FWSMs.

On the other hand the documentation is very clear about the ACE module:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/installation/note/aceinote.html#wp42206

* Step 1 Before you remove the module from the chassis, enter
the no power enable module command in configure mode at the switch or
router CLI to properly shut down the module to prevent data loss.

Sam

mtinka at globaltransit

Jul 6, 2008, 6:18 PM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

On Friday 04 July 2008 20:54:48 Felix Nkansah wrote:

> Thanks guys.
>
> I thought it has some special shutdown procedures or
> commands.

Which is something we wish for on Cisco's new ASR line,
seeing as it has a hard drive and all.

Current documented procedure to shutdown the ASR is to
reload as normal, then power-off the PSU's when you see the
Bootloader - not very elegant.

Mark.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.82 KB)

sethm at rollernet

Jul 6, 2008, 9:40 PM

Re: Shutting Down Catalyst 6509? [In reply to]

Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2008 20:54:48 Felix Nkansah wrote:
>
>> Thanks guys.
>>
>> I thought it has some special shutdown procedures or
>> commands.
>
> Which is something we wish for on Cisco's new ASR line,
> seeing as it has a hard drive and all.
>
> Current documented procedure to shutdown the ASR is to
> reload as normal, then power-off the PSU's when you see the
> Bootloader - not very elegant.

How the heck would something like that make it past QA? I've never in my
life worried about corrupting a router, switch, or any associated
modules. One would think that some kind of battery-backed write cache
similar to how RAID controllers deal with unexpected power loss could be
used. I've never priced an ASR but they certainly don't look cheap.

~Seth