a proper list of the differences?

There's a basic page on cluepon :

http://cisco.cluepon.net/index.php/6500_7600_split

But it's a bit bare. Is anyone interested in having a go at documenting
some of the differences? I'm sure it would help a great many people
(though, i'm not sure if anything can help gert at this point...) :)

adam.

p.mayers at imperial

Re: 6500 vs 7600 differences tracking [In reply to]

Adam Armstrong wrote:
> Morning All,
>
> The complication of this whole 6500 vs 7600 thing seems to be hitting a
> lot of us now, are there any useful resources or has anyone put together
> a proper list of the differences?
>
> There's a basic page on cluepon :

There is indeed :o)

> http://cisco.cluepon.net/index.php/6500_7600_split
>
> But it's a bit bare. Is anyone interested in having a go at documenting
> some of the differences? I'm sure it would help a great many people

Well, it's largely a write up of what I "knew" (had been told) at the
time; What more would you like to see on the page?

> (though, i'm not sure if anything can help gert at this point...) :)
>
> adam.

lists at memetic

Re: 6500 vs 7600 differences tracking [In reply to]

Phil Mayers wrote:
> Adam Armstrong wrote:
>>
>> http://cisco.cluepon.net/index.php/6500_7600_split
>>
>> But it's a bit bare. Is anyone interested in having a go at
>> documenting some of the differences? I'm sure it would help a great
>> many people
>
> Well, it's largely a write up of what I "knew" (had been told) at the
> time; What more would you like to see on the page?
Hmm.. I guess details of the differences since the split ( with current
IOS releases ), such as which blades are supported on which platforms,
if any odd things like flexwan don't work on certain platforms and which
notable software features are missing from each platform?

adam

peter at rathlev

Re: 6500 vs 7600 differences tracking [In reply to]

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 12:03 +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
> Adam Armstrong wrote:
> > Morning All,
> >
> > The complication of this whole 6500 vs 7600 thing seems to be hitting a
> > lot of us now, are there any useful resources or has anyone put together
> > a proper list of the differences?
> >
> > There's a basic page on cluepon :
>
> There is indeed :o)
>
> > http://cisco.cluepon.net/index.php/6500_7600_split

I like the comment about SXH on the page:

"full modularity (when it's not crashing)"

:-)

Regards,
Peter

gert at greenie

Re: 6500 vs 7600 differences tracking [In reply to]

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:45:24AM +0100, Adam Armstrong wrote:
> But it's a bit bare. Is anyone interested in having a go at documenting
> some of the differences? I'm sure it would help a great many people

I'm happy to contribute, but knowing myself, I'm a bit too unorganized
right now to actually shepherd the process - so I'll provide bits and
pieces, and someone else needs to lump them together.

> (though, i'm not sure if anything can help gert at this point...) :)

Oh well, having the SXH BU officially support -S chassis would be a great
help (because it means we don't have to swap 4 7606-S chassis that are
already in production use against 6506...).

But I think this is very unlikely to happen any time soon, and we need to
get over it, and back to productive work.

gert

//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert [at] greenie
fax: +49-89-35655025 gert [at] net

p.mayers at imperial

Re: 6500 vs 7600 differences tracking [In reply to]

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:45:24AM +0100, Adam Armstrong wrote:
>> But it's a bit bare. Is anyone interested in having a go at documenting
>> some of the differences? I'm sure it would help a great many people
>
> I'm happy to contribute, but knowing myself, I'm a bit too unorganized
> right now to actually shepherd the process - so I'll provide bits and
> pieces, and someone else needs to lump them together.

I've added some stuff; it's probably wrong as I have limited knowledge
of the 7600-specific bits.