Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps

 

 

Cisco nsp RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


rmacharia at gmail

Sep 5, 2007, 5:52 AM

Post #1 of 10 (2102 views)
Permalink
SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps

Hello all,

I am looking for an SFP that has a reasonable price that does 1.25 Gbps and
works with a Cisco 3560G 24TS switch. I have done a search on Cisco's site
and found one known as the CWDM SFP problem is the price tag quoted by cisco
will buy me 4 more 3560 switches. Is there any none Cisco one that will work
without facing the issue of the Cisco switch shutting it down. I have a
wireless backhaul equipment with an Infinion SFP Multimode 850 nm
1.25Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver and currently its connected to a
NEtgear switch
using a GBIC, and I want to replace the Netgear with the Cisco 3560 which
supports only SFP modules. The Infinion SFP module does not work with the
Cisco switch even after disabling the feature that shuts down the interface
when it is a none Cisco SFP.


--
Raymond Macharia
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


sthaug at nethelp

Sep 5, 2007, 11:25 AM

Post #2 of 10 (2026 views)
Permalink
Re: SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps [In reply to]

> I am looking for an SFP that has a reasonable price that does 1.25 Gbps and
> works with a Cisco 3560G 24TS switch. I have done a search on Cisco's site
> and found one known as the CWDM SFP problem is the price tag quoted by cisco
> will buy me 4 more 3560 switches. Is there any none Cisco one that will work
> without facing the issue of the Cisco switch shutting it down. I have a
> wireless backhaul equipment with an Infinion SFP Multimode 850 nm
> 1.25Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver and currently its connected to a
> NEtgear switch
> using a GBIC, and I want to replace the Netgear with the Cisco 3560 which
> supports only SFP modules. The Infinion SFP module does not work with the
> Cisco switch even after disabling the feature that shuts down the interface
> when it is a none Cisco SFP.

I am reasonably certain that what you want is a regular 1 Gbps SX SFP,
which can be purchased from lots of sources. You can even get "Cisco
branded" SFPs (so the 3560 will recognize it without complaints) from
multiple sources, at a reasonable price.

As long as you're using multimode fiber and a Netgear switch with a
normal GigE port, you definitely don't want CWDM SFPs.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug [at] nethelp

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


barton at gnaps

Sep 5, 2007, 11:49 AM

Post #3 of 10 (2026 views)
Permalink
Re: SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps [In reply to]

Other than as a happy customer, I have no connection to: http://www.fluxlightinc.com/ , but suggest you call them WRT your "cisco
problems". They seem to be quite familiar with the issues.

> I am looking for an SFP that has a reasonable price that does 1.25 Gbps and
> works with a Cisco 3560G 24TS switch. I have done a search on Cisco's site
> and found one known as the CWDM SFP problem is the price tag quoted by cisco
> will buy me 4 more 3560 switches. Is there any none Cisco one that will work
> without facing the issue of the Cisco switch shutting it down. I have a
> wireless backhaul equipment with an Infinion SFP Multimode 850 nm
> 1.25Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver and currently its connected to a
> NEtgear switch
> using a GBIC, and I want to replace the Netgear with the Cisco 3560 which
> supports only SFP modules. The Infinion SFP module does not work with the
> Cisco switch even after disabling the feature that shuts down the interface
> when it is a none Cisco SFP.


_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


rmacharia at gmail

Sep 5, 2007, 11:29 PM

Post #4 of 10 (2023 views)
Permalink
Re: SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps [In reply to]

Actually I did try a regular Cisco SFP with no progress at all, the Wireless
equipment LED lights up indicating some kind of physical connection but the
Cisco remains totally unresponsive, its as if there is no connection at all.
I even tried using two Cisco SFPs one on the Wireless backhaul and the other
on the Cisco switch, with no progress at all. However when I connect the
Cisco SFP to the Netgear using an LC to SC fiber cord they both light up and
there is communication, meaning that the Cisco SFP is fine, the switch is
fine and the cable is fine (all multimode)

Raymond

On 9/5/07, Barton F. Bruce <barton [at] gnaps> wrote:
>
>
> Other than as a happy customer, I have no connection to:
> http://www.fluxlightinc.com/ , but suggest you call them WRT your "cisco
> problems". They seem to be quite familiar with the issues.
>
> > I am looking for an SFP that has a reasonable price that does 1.25 Gbps
> and
> > works with a Cisco 3560G 24TS switch. I have done a search on Cisco's
> site
> > and found one known as the CWDM SFP problem is the price tag quoted by
> cisco
> > will buy me 4 more 3560 switches. Is there any none Cisco one that will
> work
> > without facing the issue of the Cisco switch shutting it down. I have a
> > wireless backhaul equipment with an Infinion SFP Multimode 850 nm
> > 1.25Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver and currently its connected to a
> > NEtgear switch
> > using a GBIC, and I want to replace the Netgear with the Cisco 3560
> which
> > supports only SFP modules. The Infinion SFP module does not work with
> the
> > Cisco switch even after disabling the feature that shuts down the
> interface
> > when it is a none Cisco SFP.
>
>
>


--
Raymond Macharia
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


rmacharia at gmail

Sep 5, 2007, 11:31 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2018 views)
Permalink
Re: SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps [In reply to]

Thanks to all who have sent me links to sites with what I am looking for, I
have started contacting them and I will update on this thread with the
outcome I get.

Best Regards

Raymond

On 9/6/07, Raymond Macharia <rmacharia [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> Actually I did try a regular Cisco SFP with no progress at all, the
> Wireless equipment LED lights up indicating some kind of physical connection
> but the Cisco remains totally unresponsive, its as if there is no connection
> at all. I even tried using two Cisco SFPs one on the Wireless backhaul and
> the other on the Cisco switch, with no progress at all. However when I
> connect the Cisco SFP to the Netgear using an LC to SC fiber cord they both
> light up and there is communication, meaning that the Cisco SFP is fine, the
> switch is fine and the cable is fine (all multimode)
>
> Raymond
>
> On 9/5/07, Barton F. Bruce <barton [at] gnaps> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Other than as a happy customer, I have no connection to:
> > http://www.fluxlightinc.com/ , but suggest you call them WRT your "cisco
> > problems". They seem to be quite familiar with the issues.
> >
> > > I am looking for an SFP that has a reasonable price that does 1.25Gbps and
> > > works with a Cisco 3560G 24TS switch. I have done a search on Cisco's
> > site
> > > and found one known as the CWDM SFP problem is the price tag quoted by
> > cisco
> > > will buy me 4 more 3560 switches. Is there any none Cisco one that
> > will work
> > > without facing the issue of the Cisco switch shutting it down. I have
> > a
> > > wireless backhaul equipment with an Infinion SFP Multimode 850 nm
> > > 1.25Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver and currently its connected to a
> > > NEtgear switch
> > > using a GBIC, and I want to replace the Netgear with the Cisco 3560
> > which
> > > supports only SFP modules. The Infinion SFP module does not work with
> > the
> > > Cisco switch even after disabling the feature that shuts down the
> > interface
> > > when it is a none Cisco SFP.
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> Raymond Macharia




--
Raymond Macharia
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


adrian at creative

Sep 5, 2007, 11:44 PM

Post #6 of 10 (2025 views)
Permalink
Re: SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps [In reply to]

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007, Raymond Macharia wrote:
> Actually I did try a regular Cisco SFP with no progress at all, the Wireless
> equipment LED lights up indicating some kind of physical connection but the
> Cisco remains totally unresponsive, its as if there is no connection at all.
> I even tried using two Cisco SFPs one on the Wireless backhaul and the other
> on the Cisco switch, with no progress at all. However when I connect the
> Cisco SFP to the Netgear using an LC to SC fiber cord they both light up and
> there is communication, meaning that the Cisco SFP is fine, the switch is
> fine and the cable is fine (all multimode)

Try:

int gigX/Y
switchport nonegotiate

?

(I haven't read the thread..)



Adrian

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


brad.henshaw at qcn

Sep 5, 2007, 11:45 PM

Post #7 of 10 (2019 views)
Permalink
Re: SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps [In reply to]

Raymond Macharia wrote:

> Actually I did try a regular Cisco SFP with no progress at
> all, the Wireless equipment LED lights up indicating some
> kind of physical connection but the Cisco remains totally
> unresponsive, its as if there is no connection at all.

Raymond,

Try starting with a Cisco SFP in the switch and also the
wireless kit. Ensure you have the correct cables and set
the following configuration items on the 3560G fibre port:

Speed nonegotiate
Switchport nonegotiate

The 3560G may be refusing to bring up the port because it's
not seeing autonegotiation from the wireless gear.

Would you please also post the output from the following
commands when you try this:

Show int gi<port-id>
Show int gi<port-id> cap

Regards,
Brad
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


gert at greenie

Sep 6, 2007, 6:19 AM

Post #8 of 10 (2020 views)
Permalink
Re: SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps [In reply to]

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:29:52AM +0300, Raymond Macharia wrote:
> Actually I did try a regular Cisco SFP with no progress at all, the Wireless
> equipment LED lights up indicating some kind of physical connection but the
> Cisco remains totally unresponsive, its as if there is no connection at all.

Could be an autonegotiation problem on the Cisco side.

gert
--
USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!
//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert [at] greenie
fax: +49-89-35655025 gert [at] net
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


rmacharia at gmail

Sep 7, 2007, 1:26 AM

Post #9 of 10 (2032 views)
Permalink
Re: SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps [In reply to]

Hi Brad below is the out put of the sh int G0/24 cap

GigabitEthernet0/27 Model: WS-C3560G-24TS
Type: Not Present
Speed: 1000
Duplex: full
Trunk encap. type: 802.1Q,ISL
Trunk mode: on,off,desirable,nonegotiate
Channel: yes
Broadcast suppression: percentage(0-100)
Flowcontrol: rx-(off,on,desired),tx-(none)
Fast Start: yes
QoS scheduling: rx-(not configurable on per port basis),tx-(4q2t)
CoS rewrite: yes
ToS rewrite: yes
UDLD: yes
Inline power: no
SPAN: source/destination
PortSecure: yes
Dot1x: yes


On 9/6/07, Brad Henshaw <brad.henshaw [at] qcn> wrote:
>
> Raymond Macharia wrote:
>
> > Actually I did try a regular Cisco SFP with no progress at
> > all, the Wireless equipment LED lights up indicating some
> > kind of physical connection but the Cisco remains totally
> > unresponsive, its as if there is no connection at all.
>
> Raymond,
>
> Try starting with a Cisco SFP in the switch and also the
> wireless kit. Ensure you have the correct cables and set
> the following configuration items on the 3560G fibre port:
>
> Speed nonegotiate
> Switchport nonegotiate
>
> The 3560G may be refusing to bring up the port because it's
> not seeing autonegotiation from the wireless gear.
>
> Would you please also post the output from the following
> commands when you try this:
>
> Show int gi<port-id>
> Show int gi<port-id> cap
>
> Regards,
> Brad
>



--
Raymond Macharia
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


rmacharia at gmail

Sep 10, 2007, 12:39 AM

Post #10 of 10 (2005 views)
Permalink
Re: SFP- Fiber that Does 1.25 Gbps [In reply to]

Hello,
really appreciate your input on this. It finally worked, could not test all
the options earlier as it is a live network, had to wait for the network to
be asleep. This is what did it:-

Speed nonegotiate
Switchport nonegotiate

Once again, I really appreciate all your help. I believe that this thread is
now closed...for now. For me its the beginning of a very interesting
project.

Raymond


On 9/6/07, Gert Doering <gert [at] greenie> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:29:52AM +0300, Raymond Macharia wrote:
> > Actually I did try a regular Cisco SFP with no progress at all, the
> Wireless
> > equipment LED lights up indicating some kind of physical connection but
> the
> > Cisco remains totally unresponsive, its as if there is no connection at
> all.
>
> Could be an autonegotiation problem on the Cisco side.
>
> gert
> --
> USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!
>
> //www.muc.de/~gert/
> Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
> gert [at] greenie
> fax: +49-89-35655025
> gert [at] net
>



--
Raymond Macharia
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp [at] puck
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Cisco nsp RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.