Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

BGP hold time problem

matthew at coreip

BGP hold time problem

I'm having a problem with a BGP session with level3. It has dropped
twice in the last week now with a hold time expired message. The port
stays up and the BGP session comes back 5 minutes later.

Log:

%BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: received from neighbor 4.78.220.xx 4/0 (hold time
expired) 0 bytes
%BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 4.78.220.xx Down BGP Notification received
%BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: sent to neighbor 4.78.220.xx 4/0 (hold time
expired) 0 bytes
%BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: sent to neighbor 4.78.220.xx 4/0 (hold time
expired) 0 bytes
%BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 4.78.220.xx Up

This is on a 6509 sup2 with 512MB of RAM. I don't have any problems
with my other BGP peer.

I did have the hold timer configured at 30 seconds instead of 180 second
default, so I just changed it back to 180 seconds, but if that doesn't
work I'm at a loss for ideas.

Level3 claims nothing is wrong, and that they see the same thing on
their side (hold time expired) and that it's my fault.

Any ideas?

bep at whack

Re: BGP hold time problem [In reply to]

matthew at coreip

Re: BGP hold time problem [In reply to]

> Matthew Simpson wrote:
>> I'm having a problem with a BGP session with level3. It has dropped
>> twice in the last week now with a hold time expired message. The port
>> stays up and the BGP session comes back 5 minutes later.
>
> Directly connected peer? What type of media is the interface over which
> the session is established?

Single mode fiber, and yes, directly connected.

bep at whack

Re: BGP hold time problem [In reply to]