Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

getting a 1721 to boot a new image

eravin at panix

Feb 27, 2007, 4:27 PM

getting a 1721 to boot a new image

I must be doing something stupid. I'm trying to upgrade a Cisco 1721
at a remote site. It has a nice big flash, so I downloaded the new IOS
without deleting the old one. The flash directory looks like this:

Router#dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 5860776 <no date> c1700-y-mz.123-10.bin
2 -rw- 5254 Nov 13 2006 18:25:25 -05:00 cfg20061110.bak.cfg
3 -rw- 5944480 Feb 27 2007 18:22:23 -05:00 c1700-y-mz.123-22.bin
4 -rw- 6061 Feb 27 2007 18:27:58 -05:00 cfg2007old.cfg

33292284 bytes total (21475452 bytes free)

Previously, there were no "boot system" entries in the config file. I
added them as follows:

Router#show run | inc boot
boot-start-marker
boot system flash flash:c1700-y-mz.123-22.bin
boot system flash flash:c1700-y-mz.123-10.bin
boot-end-marker

But this was ignored - it still booted the first image in flash, the 123-10
image. I also tried "boot system flash c1700-y-mz.123-22.bin", to no avail.

I found an errata about "boot system flash" requiring a colon as in
"flash:", but that was for 12.2(4)YH, and doesn't seem to apply for
using filenames.

DId I miss something obvious? Why does the router seem to be ignoring
the boot commands?

eravin at panix

Mar 1, 2007, 8:12 AM

Re: getting a 1721 to boot a new image [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 07:27:57PM -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
> I must be doing something stupid. I'm trying to upgrade a Cisco 1721
> at a remote site. It has a nice big flash, so I downloaded the new IOS
> without deleting the old one. [.but config file was ignored and the
> first image in flash was always booted]

My thanks to the kind soul who reminded me that the configuration register
should always be checked when you have booting problems.

jlewis at lewis

Mar 1, 2007, 11:15 AM

Re: getting a 1721 to boot a new image [In reply to]

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Ed Ravin wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 07:27:57PM -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
>> I must be doing something stupid. I'm trying to upgrade a Cisco 1721
>> at a remote site. It has a nice big flash, so I downloaded the new IOS
>> without deleting the old one. [.but config file was ignored and the
>> first image in flash was always booted]
>
> My thanks to the kind soul who reminded me that the configuration register
> should always be checked when you have booting problems.

WTH was it set to? That was the first thing I thought of, but according
to cisco docs on config-register, I couldn't see a setting that would
ignore your boot statements without ignoring the entire config, which
would have made it more obviously a config-register issue.

eravin at panix

Mar 1, 2007, 5:38 PM

Re: getting a 1721 to boot a new image [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 02:15:19PM -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Ed Ravin wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 07:27:57PM -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
> >>I must be doing something stupid. I'm trying to upgrade a Cisco 1721
> >>at a remote site. It has a nice big flash, so I downloaded the new IOS
> >>without deleting the old one. [.but config file was ignored and the
> >>first image in flash was always booted]
> >
> >My thanks to the kind soul who reminded me that the configuration register
> >should always be checked when you have booting problems.
>
> WTH was it set to? That was the first thing I thought of, but according
> to cisco docs on config-register, I couldn't see a setting that would
> ignore your boot statements without ignoring the entire config, which
> would have made it more obviously a config-register issue.

It was set to 0x101.

I looked over a Cisco doc page on config-register - if I read it
correctly, the router shouldn't have been booting at all with that
value, it should have stopped at the hardware prompt. Perhaps
the 1700 series interprets some of the bits differently?

jlewis at lewis

Mar 1, 2007, 6:52 PM

Re: getting a 1721 to boot a new image [In reply to]

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Ed Ravin wrote:

>> WTH was it set to? That was the first thing I thought of, but according
>> to cisco docs on config-register, I couldn't see a setting that would
>> ignore your boot statements without ignoring the entire config, which
>> would have made it more obviously a config-register issue.
>
> It was set to 0x101.
>
> I looked over a Cisco doc page on config-register - if I read it
> correctly, the router shouldn't have been booting at all with that
> value, it should have stopped at the hardware prompt. Perhaps
> the 1700 series interprets some of the bits differently?

I can't find the table I was looking at before, and this one is from 3600
series docs, but this one makes it pretty clear that 1 in the boot field
means boot the first image found in flash, which is, I think, what you
were seeing.

http://cio.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007de4c.html#13981