Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

"IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links" FastEthernet interfaces

nocmonkey at gmail

Dec 7, 2006, 5:01 AM

"IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links" FastEthernet interfaces

New Cisco 815. Four FastEthernet interfaces, and I simply would like to
configure an IP address on one of them, however, the following error message
is produced when I attempt to configure an IP address: IP addresses may not
be configured on L2 links.

I imagine this is a simple fix, however, I will post the whole configuration
if necessary. Is show running-config still the best or is there a public
mailing list friendly output?

Thanks,

...D

bmannella at g3tech

Dec 7, 2006, 5:22 AM

Re: "IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links" FastEthernet interfaces [In reply to]

I suspect that the ports are in "switchport" mode.

Try doing this...

Under the port you want to configure, before you type ip address X.X.X.X
try issuing a "no switchport" command. Then try and configure a ip on the
interface.

If that still doesn't work, i would guess that the 4 ports on the 815 are
switchports only. My next suggestion would be to create a "SVI" and try to
assign that a ip.

> New Cisco 815. Four FastEthernet interfaces, and I simply would like to
> configure an IP address on one of them, however, the following error
> message
> is produced when I attempt to configure an IP address: IP addresses may
> not
> be configured on L2 links.
>
> I imagine this is a simple fix, however, I will post the whole
> configuration
> if necessary. Is show running-config still the best or is there a public
> mailing list friendly output?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ...D

euang+cisco-nsp at lists

Dec 7, 2006, 5:51 AM

Re: "IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links" FastEthernet interfaces [In reply to]

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 08:01:48AM -0500, Danny wrote:
> New Cisco 815. Four FastEthernet interfaces, and I simply would like to
> configure an IP address on one of them, however, the following error message
> is produced when I attempt to configure an IP address: IP addresses may not
> be configured on L2 links.

The spec sheet is pretty clear that the additional 4 ports (it has 5 FE ports)
are just an "Integrated 4 port switch" providing "Fully managed LAN switch ports"

The WAN FE should be a go-er though surely?

--
Euan Galloway

shakeelahmad at gmail

Dec 7, 2006, 7:20 AM

Re: "IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links" FastEthernet interfaces [In reply to]

You need to make it via a Vlan interface....

L2 Ethernet card take IP address via VLAns

Try it out if you need config i'll send it later

On 12/7/06, Danny <nocmonkey [at] gmail> wrote:

> New Cisco 815. Four FastEthernet interfaces, and I simply would like to
> configure an IP address on one of them, however, the following error
> message
> is produced when I attempt to configure an IP address: IP addresses may
> not
> be configured on L2 links.
>
> I imagine this is a simple fix, however, I will post the whole
> configuration
> if necessary. Is show running-config still the best or is there a public
> mailing list friendly output?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ...D

nocmonkey at gmail

Dec 7, 2006, 2:27 PM

Re: "IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links" FastEthernet interfaces [In reply to]

Thanks everyone... the solution was to configure the vlan 1 interface as
opposed to each individual FastEthernet interface because the first four are
L2 switch ports. All or nothing on this model.

...D

--
CPDE - Certified Petroleum Distribution Engineer
CCBC - Certified Canadian Beer Consumer

merlyn at Geeks

Dec 7, 2006, 10:18 PM

Re: "IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links" FastEthernet interfaces [In reply to]

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:27:15PM -0500, Danny wrote:
> Thanks everyone... the solution was to configure the vlan 1 interface as
> opposed to each individual FastEthernet interface because the first four are
> L2 switch ports. All or nothing on this model.

Thats much like alot of the Cisco routers that have switch ports on them.

Its confusing, because they look like real layer-3 interfaces, but the
devices are really hybrids, broken out so you can manage the layer-2 ports
as well as the layer-3 single port that they'll go through both.

All the newer 8xx boxes are like this (even some of the older ones get
this fashion with the later IOS revs that they didn't have before), as
well as the HWIC-4ESW/9ESW cards, etc.

Just think of it as a switch grafted onto a router port somewhere
else, and you control both the switch section and the router section
all in one config. Don't think of it as seperate ports that you
control on the IP side, its a switch grafted onto a router, much like
you'd have if you had physically two devices, in this case, the uplink
cable is internal.