Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

use "?" in passwords

achatz at forthnet

Nov 15, 2006, 1:00 AM

use "?" in passwords

I always had this question: Is is possible to use the "?" character in passwords in cisco configurations?

--
Tassos

mtinka at africaonline

Nov 15, 2006, 1:51 AM

Re: use "?" in passwords [In reply to]

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 11:00, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> I always had this question: Is is possible to use the "?"
> character in passwords in cisco configurations?

Not in the configurations I've tried, no.

In UNIX (using bash), we solve this by placing a "\" before some
special characters. I haven't tried to do this on the Cisco CLI,
though.

Mark.

ianh at chime

Nov 15, 2006, 2:56 AM

Re: use "?" in passwords [In reply to]

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou <mailto:achatz [at] forthnet> wrote on Wednesday,
15 November 2006 5:00 PM:

> I always had this question: Is is possible to use the "?" character
> in passwords in cisco configurations?

Press Control+V before the question mark.

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#username question password answer<control+v>?
Router(config)#

--
Ian Henderson, CCIE #14721
Senior Network Engineer, iiNet Limited

jay at west

Nov 15, 2006, 3:05 AM

Re: use "?" in passwords [In reply to]

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> I always had this question: Is is possible to use the "?" character in passwords in cisco configurations?

Yes. Precede it with Ctrl-V when configuring.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay [at] impulse
Impulse Internet Service - http://www.impulse.net/

steve at stevewrightonline

Nov 15, 2006, 3:08 AM

Re: use "?" in passwords [In reply to]

> I always had this question: Is is possible to use the "?" character in passwords in cisco configurations?

I know you can use Ctrl+V then ? to get a question mark on the console/vty... not sure how/ if it would accept it into the
configuration though

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com

oboehmer at cisco

Nov 15, 2006, 3:11 AM

Re: use "?" in passwords [In reply to]

cisco-nsp-bounces [at] puck <> wrote on :

> I always had this question: Is is possible to use the "?"
> character in passwords in cisco configurations?

press "crtl-v" before entering the special "?" character:

R1(config)#username foo password ba<CRTL-V>?r
R1(config)#do sh run | i foo
username foo password 0 ba?r
R1(config)#

be careful with cut&paste of something like this..

oli

saku+cisco-nsp at ytti

Nov 15, 2006, 3:48 AM

Re: use "?" in passwords [In reply to]

On (2006-11-15 12:11 +0100), Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:

> R1(config)#username foo password ba<CRTL-V>?r
> R1(config)#do sh run | i foo
> username foo password 0 ba?r
> R1(config)#
>
> be careful with cut&paste of something like this..

Also an excellent way to make eg. static route disappear after
reload, configure it with 'name' that contains space.
Yes, I was bitten by it :)

--
++ytti

loc.pham at comcast

Nov 15, 2006, 9:02 AM

Re: use "?" in passwords [In reply to]

Of course you can : Crtl + V before the ? /
HTH.
lP
From: Tassos Chatzithomaoglou <achatz [at] forthnet>

> I always had this question: Is is possible to use the "?" character in passwords
> in cisco configurations?
>
> --
> Tassos

mahargk at gmail

Nov 15, 2006, 9:18 AM

Re: use "?" in passwords [In reply to]

On 11/15/06, Ian Henderson <ianh [at] chime> wrote:
> Tassos Chatzithomaoglou <mailto:achatz [at] forthnet> wrote on Wednesday,
> 15 November 2006 5:00 PM:
>
> > I always had this question: Is is possible to use the "?" character
> > in passwords in cisco configurations?
>
> Press Control+V before the question mark.

...and if you want to encrypt it ahead of time, its just a standard
MD5 crypt; just make sure you use 4 digits of salt rather than the 8
commonly used in the UNIX world. (Sure would be nice for an exec-mode
password command, but I digress).