Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

Advanced Metro license, ME-3600

elouie at yahoo

Sep 26, 2012, 3:35 PM

Advanced Metro license, ME-3600

Hey†folks, I'm trying to get the straight scoop on the licensing issue

I received an ME 3600x from my reseller, without the Advanced Metro license.† I
did order the license from them.† Is there a normal wait for getting it, or is
the reseller†trying to smokescreen me?† Or, should I have received the license
on shipment of the switch?

†Much appreciated,
Eric Louie

cisco-nsp at itpro

Sep 26, 2012, 5:42 PM

Re: Advanced Metro license, ME-3600 [In reply to]

Hi,

My experience is that any ME3600Xs ordered with licences have come with
the license pre installed.

Ivan

> Hey†folks, I'm trying to get the straight scoop on the licensing issue
>
> I received an ME 3600x from my reseller, without the Advanced Metro
> license.† I
> did order the license from them.† Is there a normal wait for getting it,
> or is
> the reseller†trying to smokescreen me?† Or, should I have received the
> license
> on shipment of the switch?
>
> †Much appreciated,
> Eric Louie

Mattias.Gyllenvarg at bredband2

Sep 26, 2012, 11:39 PM

Re: Advanced Metro license, ME-3600 [In reply to]

Have had both ways. Always get them preinstalled now.

Licencing process is a pain.

On 27 September 2012 00:35, Eric A Louie <elouie [at] yahoo> wrote:

> Hey folks, I'm trying to get the straight scoop on the licensing issue
>
> I received an ME 3600x from my reseller, without the Advanced Metro
> license. I
> did order the license from them. Is there a normal wait for getting it,
> or is
> the reseller trying to smokescreen me? Or, should I have received the
> license
> on shipment of the switch?
>
> Much appreciated,
> Eric Louie

*Med Všnliga Hšlsningar - Best Regards*

*Mattias Gyllenvarg*
*Nštutveckling*
Bredband2 - bara hŚrda paket

Tel: +46 406219712

aaron1 at gvtc

Sep 27, 2012, 12:22 PM

Re: Advanced Metro license, ME-3600 [In reply to]

I get some with and some without... the ones without I send system serial
number to my cisco account se and she sends me a license file

Aaron

Have had both ways. Always get them preinstalled now.

Licencing process is a pain.

On 27 September 2012 00:35, Eric A Louie <elouie [at] yahoo> wrote:

> Hey folks, I'm trying to get the straight scoop on the licensing issue
>
> I received an ME 3600x from my reseller, without the Advanced Metro
> license. I did order the license from them. Is there a normal wait
> for getting it, or is the reseller trying to smokescreen me? Or,
> should I have received the license on shipment of the switch?
>
> Much appreciated,
> Eric Louie

*Med Všnliga Hšlsningar - Best Regards*

*Mattias Gyllenvarg*
*Nštutveckling*
Bredband2 - bara hŚrda paket

Tel: +46 406219712

reuben-cisco-nsp at reub

Sep 27, 2012, 2:56 PM

Re: Advanced Metro license, ME-3600 [In reply to]

If you get an E-License Delivery instead of the license coming
preinstalled on the switch, the process is still actually very
straightforward.

All you have to do is fill in a short form online and enter a key from
the E-License PDF, the actual license file itself then gets emailed back
to you straight away, and it's just then a case of uploading the file to
the switch.

http://www.cisco.com/go/license/

I'm not a big fan of complexity, but this process really is as easy (or
complex) as downloading an IOS image from CCO.

If the E-license doesn't turn up with the hardware there's always the 60
day Eval License which you can activate without any keys to buy more time.

Reuben

On 28/09/2012 5:22 AM, Aaron wrote:
> I get some with and some without... the ones without I send system serial
> number to my cisco account se and she sends me a license file
>
> Aaron

elouie at yahoo

Sep 27, 2012, 3:23 PM

Re: Advanced Metro license, ME-3600 [In reply to]

I†don't see an eval license for "ME 3600X Advanced Metro" under Routers &
Switches
†Much appreciated,
Eric Louie
619-743-5375

________________________________
<elouie [at] yahoo>; cisco-nsp [at] puck
Sent: Thu, September 27, 2012 2:56:05 PM

If you get an E-License Delivery instead of the license coming
preinstalled on the switch, the process is still actually very
straightforward.

All you have to do is fill in a short form online and enter a key from
the E-License PDF, the actual license file itself then gets emailed back
to you straight away, and it's just then a case of uploading the file to
the switch.

http://www.cisco.com/go/license/

I'm not a big fan of complexity, but this process really is as easy (or
complex) as downloading an IOS image from CCO.

If the E-license doesn't turn up with the hardware there's always the 60
day Eval License which you can activate without any keys to buy more time.

Reuben

On 28/09/2012 5:22 AM, Aaron wrote:
> I get some with and some without... the ones without I send system serial
> number to my cisco account se and she sends me a license file
>
> Aaron

reuben-cisco-nsp at reub

Sep 27, 2012, 3:34 PM

Re: Advanced Metro license, ME-3600 [In reply to]

The Eval license does not require a license be obtained from CCO. Only
permanent non-expiring licenses require the special file/key.

sw6.nsw(config)#license boot level advancedMetroIPAccess

Pretty sure this is all you need to activate the 60 day eval.

Unfortunately I don't have any ME3600s around that don't have the ADV
license to test with.

This is the exact same process as other newer Catalyst switches, FWIW.
It's not unique to this platform.

Reuben

elouie at yahoo

Sep 27, 2012, 4:30 PM

Re: Advanced Metro license, ME-3600 [In reply to]

Thanks for the help.† That didn't work.† I opened a case with TAC†to get the
secret formula, because all my searches for "activate evaluation
license†advanced metro"†gave me no configuration†hints.
†Much appreciated,
Eric Louie
619-743-5375

________________________________
<Mattias.Gyllenvarg [at] bredband2>; cisco-nsp [at] puck
Sent: Thu, September 27, 2012 3:34:47 PM

The Eval license does not require a license be obtained from CCO.† Only
permanent non-expiring licenses require the special file/key.

sw6.nsw(config)#license boot level advancedMetroIPAccess

Pretty sure this is all you need to activate the 60 day eval.

Unfortunately I don't have any ME3600s around that don't have the ADV
license to test with.

This is the exact same process as other newer Catalyst switches, FWIW.
It's not unique to this platform.

Reuben

On 28/09/2012 8:23 AM, Eric A Louie wrote:
> I don't see an eval license for "ME 3600X Advanced Metro" under Routers
> & Switches
> Much appreciated,
> Eric Louie
> 619-743-5375

> *From:* Reuben Farrelly <reuben-cisco-nsp [at] reub>

cisco-nsp at itpro

Sep 28, 2012, 1:12 AM

Re: Advanced Metro license, ME-3600 [In reply to]

ÔĹÉould be...

Switch(config)#license boot level ?
AdvancedMetroIPAccess AdvancedMetroIPAccess level
MetroIPAccess MetroIPAccess level

Ivan

elouie at yahoo

Sep 28, 2012, 4:33 PM

Re: Advanced Metro license, ME-3600 [In reply to]

Thanks all for all the help.

I got 2 60-day eval licenses from licensing [at] cisco

Got them tftp'ed and installed (license install flash:filename) and now I have
the AdvMetroIPAccess enabled.

-e-