Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

Scheduled EEM

eng_mssk at hotmail

Jul 20, 2012, 4:20 PM

Scheduled EEM

Hi man , I have a question
I want to do a command one time at a specific time
I mean , for example
after 5 min i will add a route
after 10 min i will add another route and remove the older one and so

I have configured the below , but it keep running

PE1#sh run | sec event manager
event manager applet MSSK
event timer cron name KRON cron-entry "* * * * *"
action 1.0 cli command "enable"
action 1.1 cli command "configure terminal"
action 1.2 cli command "interface fastethernet0/0"
action 1.3 cli command "shutdown"

kron occurrence KRON in 5 oneshot

BR,
Mohammad

cwildes at progrizon

Jul 21, 2012, 7:13 AM

Re: Scheduled EEM [In reply to]

Mohammad,

You are using two components that provide the same functionality which is to
schedule work do be done in the future based on a CRON timer spec:
1. the IOS kron command
2. the Embedded Event Manager (EEM)

Use one or the other but not both.

The CRON spec that you specified for the Embedded Event Manager timer of "*
* * * *" says to run the EEM policy once per minute forever. If you want to
cause the EEM policy to run once every 5 minutes beginning on the hour use a
CRON spec of "0/5 * * * *".

The CRON Expression section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron provides a
good overview of CRON specs.

Thanks,

Clyde

I want to do a command one time at a specific time I mean , for example
after 5 min i will add a route after 10 min i will add another route and
remove the older one and so

I have configured the below , but it keep running

PE1#sh run | sec event manager
event manager applet MSSK
event timer cron name KRON cron-entry "* * * * *"
action 1.0 cli command "enable"
action 1.1 cli command "configure terminal"
action 1.2 cli command "interface fastethernet0/0"
action 1.3 cli command "shutdown"

kron occurrence KRON in 5 oneshot

BR,
Mohammad

eng_mssk at hotmail

Jul 21, 2012, 9:26 AM

Re: Scheduled EEM [In reply to]

Thanks Clyde for the reply and the explanation
Actually , I want to go with EEM
I do not want the same command to repeatedly be done , I want to configure something once , after specific period of time , I want another configuration statement to be added or deleted

BR,
Mohammad

> From: cwildes [at] progrizon
> To: eng_mssk [at] hotmail; cisco-nsp [at] puck
> Subject: RE: [c-nsp] Scheduled EEM
> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 07:13:57 -0700
>
> Mohammad,
>
> You are using two components that provide the same functionality which is to
> schedule work do be done in the future based on a CRON timer spec:
> 1. the IOS kron command
> 2. the Embedded Event Manager (EEM)
>
> Use one or the other but not both.
>
> The CRON spec that you specified for the Embedded Event Manager timer of "*
> * * * *" says to run the EEM policy once per minute forever. If you want to
> cause the EEM policy to run once every 5 minutes beginning on the hour use a
> CRON spec of "0/5 * * * *".
>
> The CRON Expression section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron provides a
> good overview of CRON specs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clyde

cwildes at progrizon

Jul 22, 2012, 3:55 PM

Re: Scheduled EEM [In reply to]

Mohammad,

Sorry for the delayed response - the Cisco support site was down for 20
hours on Saturday for scheduled maintenance.

The Cisco Beyond web site has sample scripts that show how EEM script
nesting can be done. Check out this example:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2159362

The Cisco Beyond home page is at:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/private/pilot/eem

Thanks,

Clyde

Thanks Clyde for the reply and the explanation
Actually , I want to go with EEM
I do not want the same command to repeatedly be done , I want to configure
something once , after specific period of time , I want another
configuration statement to be added or deleted

BR,
Mohammad

> From: cwildes [at] progrizon
> To: eng_mssk [at] hotmail; cisco-nsp [at] puck
> Subject: RE: [c-nsp] Scheduled EEM
> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 07:13:57 -0700
>
> Mohammad,
>
> You are using two components that provide the same functionality which is
> schedule work do be done in the future based on a CRON timer spec:
> 1. the IOS kron command
> 2. the Embedded Event Manager (EEM)
>
> Use one or the other but not both.
>
> The CRON spec that you specified for the Embedded Event Manager timer of
"*
> * * * *" says to run the EEM policy once per minute forever. If you want
> cause the EEM policy to run once every 5 minutes beginning on the hour use
> CRON spec of "0/5 * * * *".
>
> The CRON Expression section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron provides
> good overview of CRON specs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clyde

cstand141 at gmail

Jul 23, 2012, 4:59 AM

scheduled EEM [In reply to]

I use "ciscocmd" to read and then push modified commands to different devices.
Put it on a linux box and run it from cron and you can do a whole lot
more than from IOS if you need complicated logic especially if you
need to tie multiple devices/events together.

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 15:55:05 -0700
> From: "Clyde Wildes" <cwildes [at] progrizon>
> To: "'Mohammad Khalil'" <eng_mssk [at] hotmail>,
> <cisco-nsp [at] puck>
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Scheduled EEM
>
> Mohammad,
>

> Sorry for the delayed response - the Cisco support site was down for 20
> hours on Saturday for scheduled maintenance.
>

> The Cisco Beyond web site has sample scripts that show how EEM script
> nesting can be done. Check out this example:
>
> https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2159362
>

> The Cisco Beyond home page is at:
>
> https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/private/pilot/eem
>

> Thanks,
>

> Clyde

eng_mssk at hotmail

Jul 23, 2012, 6:45 PM

Re: Scheduled EEM [In reply to]

Thanks very much Clyde , i will dig into it

BR,
Mohammad

Mohammad, Sorry for the delayed response the Cisco support site was down for 20 hours on Saturday for scheduled maintenance. The Cisco Beyond web site has sample scripts that show how EEM script nesting can be done. Check out this example:https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2159362 The Cisco Beyond home page is at:https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/private/pilot/eem Thanks, Clyde From: Mohammad Khalil [mailto:eng_mssk [at] hotmail]
I do not want the same command to repeatedly be done , I want to configure something once , after specific period of time , I want another configuration statement to be added or deleted

BR,
> To: eng_mssk [at] hotmail; cisco-nsp [at] puck
> Subject: RE: [c-nsp] Scheduled EEM
> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 07:13:57 -0700
>
> Mohammad,
>
> You are using two components that provide the same functionality which is to
> schedule work do be done in the future based on a CRON timer spec:
> 1. the IOS kron command
> 2. the Embedded Event Manager (EEM)
>
> Use one or the other but not both.
>
> The CRON spec that you specified for the Embedded Event Manager timer of "*
> * * * *" says to run the EEM policy once per minute forever. If you want to
> cause the EEM policy to run once every 5 minutes beginning on the hour use a
> CRON spec of "0/5 * * * *".
>
> The CRON Expression section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron provides a
> good overview of CRON specs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clyde

eng_mssk at hotmail

Jul 23, 2012, 6:48 PM

Re: scheduled EEM [In reply to]

Thanks chris , i never heard about it before and i will try it

BR,
Mohammad