Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

IOS-XR next-hop self with reflected routes

Grzegorz at janoszka

Jun 19, 2012, 4:22 AM

IOS-XR next-hop self with reflected routes

I have encountered a problem configuring route announcements on IOS-XR.
In just a plain IOS (c6500 ie) setting next-hop self at the bgp peer
doesn't affect reflected routes, however it can be overwritten with the
outgoing route-map.
In IOS-XR the route-policy with "set next-hop self" doesn't seem to
affect at all reflected routes.
I know I can overwrite it on the receiving side, but any way to change
the next-hop of reflected routes in IOS-XR?

--
Grzegorz Janoszka

nobleton at fasttrackcomm

Jun 19, 2012, 6:20 AM

Re: IOS-XR next-hop self with reflected routes [In reply to]

You can't use next-hop-self with a route-reflector configuration. You need to set the next-hop with a route-map.

BGP Next Hop Propagation [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.2 S] - Cisco Systems
http://lnk4.us/2srD

On Jun 19, 2012, at 5:22 AM, Grzegorz Janoszka wrote:

> I have encountered a problem configuring route announcements on IOS-XR.
> In just a plain IOS (c6500 ie) setting next-hop self at the bgp peer
> doesn't affect reflected routes, however it can be overwritten with the
> outgoing route-map.
> In IOS-XR the route-policy with "set next-hop self" doesn't seem to
> affect at all reflected routes.
> I know I can overwrite it on the receiving side, but any way to change
> the next-hop of reflected routes in IOS-XR?
>
> --
> Grzegorz Janoszka

chip.gwyn at gmail

Jun 19, 2012, 7:02 AM

Re: IOS-XR next-hop self with reflected routes [In reply to]

add "ibgp policy out enforce-modifications" in the global bgp config
and then implement the policy like so:

route-policy RR-IBGP-PEER-OUT($loopback0)
if community matches-every PRESERVE-NEXTHOP then
pass
else
set next-hop $loopback0
endif
end-policy

At least, I think that's what you're trying to do...

--chip

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM, Grzegorz Janoszka <Grzegorz [at] janoszka> wrote:

> I have encountered a problem configuring route announcements on IOS-XR.
> In just a plain IOS (c6500 ie) setting next-hop self at the bgp peer
> doesn't affect reflected routes, however it can be overwritten with the
> outgoing route-map.
> In IOS-XR the route-policy with "set next-hop self" doesn't seem to
> affect at all reflected routes.
> I know I can overwrite it on the receiving side, but any way to change
> the next-hop of reflected routes in IOS-XR?
>
> --
> Grzegorz Janoszka

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....

Grzegorz at janoszka

Jun 19, 2012, 7:08 AM

Re: IOS-XR next-hop self with reflected routes [In reply to]

On 19-06-12 16:02, chip wrote:
> add "ibgp policy out enforce-modifications" in the global bgp config

Thanks, that is it! Unfortunately the command name is a little bit
confusing, I was trying to find it, but I was checking the commands
starting with "bgp", no idea why they called it so different.

Cisco doc's are really not helpful:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/crs/software/crs_r4.1/routing/command/reference/b_routing_cr41crs_chapter_01.html#wp473953414

Do you know which other attributes it allows to change except the next-hop?

--
Grzegorz Janoszka