Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers

mhuff at ox

Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers

We have a pair of Cisco 7204VXR with NPE-G2 running 15.1(4)M3. We are using
default timers for the HSRP interfaces, and we are seeing nightly HSRP state
changes. Not a lot, but 1-2 a night. This appears to only have started
recently. We are looking at logs, but I assume it's due to BGP cpu
exhaustion. We don't see any L2 errors on the VLAN where the HSRP is
running, so I don't think it's a physical problem.

What timers do people use for HSRP on BGP routers as a practice? Obviously
we want the smallest timers that would be possible.

----

Matthew Huff | 1 Manhattanville Rd

Director of Operations | Purchase, NY 10577

OTA Management LLC | Phone: 914-460-4039

aim: matthewbhuff | Fax: 914-460-4139
Attachments: smime.p7s (5.21 KB)

mack.mcbride at viawest

Re: Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers [In reply to]

We use timers 2 and 6 on multiple sets of 6500s with a relatively large number of VLANs.
The 6500 has a much less powerful CPU and seems to handle it ok.
However, the 7200 is a software device so through traffic can have a major effect on CPU.
It may be you have large high BW bursts during backups or something similar.
You should probably do some correlation analysis before blaming the BGP.
If you are getting that kind of BGP event on a nightly basis you should probably talk to your provider.

LR Mack McBride
Network Architect

Re: Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers [In reply to]

That's the thing, we aren't getting any BGP events, just HSRP ones. The
netflow analysis don't show a high bandwidth utilization, that's why I was
looking at the BGP re-calc causing the HSRP hellos to drop.

----

Re: Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers [In reply to]

What is your base CPU utilization?

Mack

Re: Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers [In reply to]

Average less than 10%, peek at 40%

----

Re: Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers [In reply to]

Are you able to determine what process is active at the peek?

Mack

Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC | Phone: 914-460-4039
> That's the thing, we aren't getting any BGP events, just HSRP ones. The
> netflow analysis don't show a high bandwidth utilization, that's why I
> was looking at the BGP re-calc causing the HSRP hellos to drop.
>

> ----
> Matthew Huff  | 1 Manhattanville Rd
> Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
> OTA Management LLC | Phone: 914-460-4039

tvarriale at comcast

Re: Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers [In reply to]

On 5/9/2012 8:45 AM, Matthew Huff wrote:
> We have a pair of Cisco 7204VXR with NPE-G2 running 15.1(4)M3. We are using
> default timers for the HSRP interfaces, and we are seeing nightly HSRP state
> changes. Not a lot, but 1-2 a night. This appears to only have started
> recently. We are looking at logs, but I assume it's due to BGP cpu
> exhaustion. We don't see any L2 errors on the VLAN where the HSRP is
> running, so I don't think it's a physical problem.
>

> What timers do people use for HSRP on BGP routers as a practice? Obviously
> we want the smallest timers that would be possible.
>

> ----
>
> Matthew Huff | 1 Manhattanville Rd
>
> Director of Operations | Purchase, NY 10577
>
> OTA Management LLC | Phone: 914-460-4039
>
> aim: matthewbhuff | Fax: 914-460-4139

That's the symptom. I wouldn't recommend changing those timers until
you understand what is causing the issue. Sometimes (especially in STP,
BGP, etc) changing how the protocol works makes things worse.

tv

alumbis at gmail

Re: Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers [In reply to]

A problem like this, especially on a software platform like the 7200
is ususally due to either small CPU spikes, local interface issues,
transit l2 issues.

Are the problems only in the evenings? Any backups that might be
causing traffic bursts or some sort of oversubscription in the
network?

Are you using the onboard NPE ports for the connectivity between the
peers or a PA? If so, which?

Do you see any STP changes on the transit switches?

Are you seeing any other control traffic issues, say BGP, OSPF or even
HSRP on other VLANs?

The only comment I'd have on BGP exhaustion is that with default HSRP
timers, BGP convergence, even with a large event, would (hopefully)
yield the CPU to other processes to allow for at least one HSRP packet
to get processed and keep the peers up.

I think the easy thing you can do is deploy CPU threshold logging
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/nm_cpu_thresh_notif_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

This will give you notification at the 5 second level.

You can get tighter with EEM by setting an event trigger on the CPU
OID and then printing out whatever relevant information (i.e. "show
proc cpu sort" | append flash:eem.txt").

-Pete

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Matthew Huff <mhuff [at] ox> wrote:
> We have a pair of Cisco 7204VXR with NPE-G2 running 15.1(4)M3. We are using
> default timers for the HSRP interfaces, and we are seeing nightly HSRP state
> changes. Not a lot, but 1-2 a night. This appears to only have started
> recently.  We are looking at logs, but I assume it's due to BGP cpu
> exhaustion. We don't see any L2 errors on the VLAN where the HSRP is
> running, so I don't think it's a physical problem.
>

> What timers do people use for HSRP on BGP routers as a practice?  Obviously
> we want the smallest timers that would be possible.
>

> ----
>
> Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
>
> Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
>
> OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039
>
> aim: matthewbhuff        | Fax:   914-460-4139

mitch at stonernetworks

Re: Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers [In reply to]

Perhaps EEM is something that could be helpful here...

Re: Tuning HSRP timers for BGP routers [In reply to]

Mitch,

You can deploy something like this

===========================
event manager applet cpuspike
event snmp oid "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.10.1" get-type next
entry-op ge entry-val "50" exit-time 60 poll-interval 1
action 1.0 syslog msg "CPU Spike Detected - Please issue more
flash:cpuinfo for data"
action 2.0 cli command "en"
action 3.0 cli command "show proc cpu sort | append flash:cpuinfo"
action 4.0 cli command "show proc cpu history | append flash:cpuinfo"
action 5.0 cli command "show interface | append flash:cpuinfo"
===========================

This will poll on a 1 second interval and trigger anytime CPU is over
50 percent. After it fires it will sleep for 60 seconds before
attempting to run a second time.

Since this requires enable mode you may need to add "event manager
session cli username <username>" to the global config where the
username will be someone with the authorization to run the commands
listed.

I'd suggest double checking this OID as I think this is from a script
I used on a 6k, not for the 7200. Make sure you are using the current
CPU OID and not the 5 second CPU OID.

If you want to test it just change the "entry-val 50" to say, 1 and
run a "show tech" or anything else that would cause a small bump in
CPU and you should see it trigger.

-Pete