Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

ASR1004 slot/backplane/capacity question

ispcolohost at gmail

ASR1004 slot/backplane/capacity question

Hi all, I've got a few general questions about the ASR. On Cisco's
site sometimes I see reference to the 1004 having a 20 gig capacity,
other times 40. Will the 1004 accept the ESP-40 and SIP40 interface
cards to get to 40 gigs or is the maximum really the ESP-20 and SIP10
cards?

2) Given a SIP10 card, does all traffic hit the backplane in the ASR
architecture or can routing occur within the four slots of the SIP
independently? You probably realize I'm asking because I'm wondering
if the ten gig limit of the SIP10 applies if traffic is not leaving
the SIP.

3) I see a reference to how far SIP10 is allowed to be oversubscribed.
Does that mean you could not actually enable four 1-port 10-gig cards
in it? I'm looking at an application where only one of the ports
would be heavily used but would like to have multiple ten gig ports
for backup.

4) What happens when traffic hits the limit of the ESP model you have? :-)

Thanks in advance!

sam.silvester at gmail

Re: ASR1004 slot/backplane/capacity question [In reply to]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:26 AM, David H <ispcolohost [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi all, I've got a few general questions about the ASR.  On Cisco's
> site sometimes I see reference to the 1004 having a 20 gig capacity,
> other times 40.  Will the 1004 accept the ESP-40 and SIP40 interface
> cards to get to 40 gigs or is the maximum really the ESP-20 and SIP10
> cards?

Hi David,

I'll leave the other questions to somebody that knows better the
internals of the ASR platform, but I can confirm the ESP-40 and SIP40
work just fine on the ASR1004 (and this is a supported configuration).
I believe you need an RP2 however, but I'm not 100% on that point.

TR1#show platform
Chassis type: ASR1004

Slot Type State Insert time (ago)
--------- ------------------- --------------------- -----------------
0 ASR1000-SIP40 ok 20w0d
0/0 SPA-1X10GE-L-V2 ok 20w0d
0/1 SPA-10X1GE-V2 ok 20w0d
0/2 SPA-1X10GE-L-V2 ok 20w0d
R0 ASR1000-RP2 ok, active 20w0d
F0 ASR1000-ESP40 ok, active 20w0d
P0 ASR1004-PWR-AC ok 20w0d
P1 ASR1004-PWR-AC ok 20w0d

Slot CPLD Version Firmware Version
--------- ------------------- ---------------------------------------
0 00200800 15.0(1r)S
R0 10021901 12.2(33r)XND
F0 1003190E 15.0(1r)S

mack.mcbride at viawest

Re: ASR1004 slot/backplane/capacity question [In reply to]

1) the latest data I have indicates the ASR1004 only supports the ESP20 however that could have changed with software tweaks.

2) Yes everything always goes to the ESP through the backplane there is no local switching.

3) In theory you could over subscribe a SIP10 4:1 (actually a little less oversubscription since the channel is more like 11.5G).
I have not actually tried this in practice. I have verified that it allows more than one 10G SPA in a SIP.

4) The backplane connection which lives on the ESP10 is actually 11.5G.
Above that level you are going to drop traffic and communications are going to be impaired.
I would assume the other ESPs have similar headroom.
In theory the ESP is going to rate limit incoming/outgoing traffic (uses the highest) to 10G and I am pretty sure it does it in practice.

LR Mack McBride
Network Architect