Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb

graham at g-rock

C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb

Hi there,

Anyone out there still using this older switch? I just pulled one out of
the closet - and having a heck of a time getting the switchports to actually
link up at 1Gb. I have a couple of 1Gb capable devices (servers, other
routers, etc) that do 1Gb all day long on other Cisco switches - but not on
the 3550-12T. Remember, this is the switch that has (10) 10/100/1000 BaseTX
and (2) 1000 Gbic slots ..

I have tried to put the copper interface into "speed auto 1000" as well as
"speed 1000" (with the other side matching) and always results in a
not-connect. The command 'speed nonegotiate' doesn't exist.

Seems that 100-Full is the best I can get it.

It's running the last IOS for it, c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

-graham

peter at rathlev

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

On Sun, 2012-04-15 at 17:09 -0500, graham wrote:
> I have tried to put the copper interface into "speed auto 1000" as well as
> "speed 1000" (with the other side matching) and always results in a
> not-connect. The command 'speed nonegotiate' doesn't exist.
>
> Seems that 100-Full is the best I can get it.

Problems with the cable maybe? 1000Base-T needs all 8 wires.

We have used these switches previously and haven't had problems
connecting anything to the copper ports, neither on the 3550-12T or the
3550-12G.

Does a loopback jack make the switch link up? Does connecting two ports
on the same switch with eachother?

> It's running the last IOS for it, c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin.

You can load 12.2(52)SE on them, even though it's not supported. I'm
positive it wouldn't solve your problem though.

--
Peter

jvanoppen at spectrumnet

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

You sure your cabling is good? I have seen this issue when there are 100 mbit/sec crossover cables involved (ie only crossing over two of the pairs) built or something similar. We use lots of 3550-12Ts to this day and they are still quite decent if they fit what you need.

In your position, I would probably blame it on cabling and start there with any investigation.

John

keegan.holley at sungard

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

I have a bunch of these in the lab and haven't had a problem. Have you
tried enabling auto-negotiation? Have you tried changing port? Also, what
is the other side set for? What does it say? The problem sounds kind of
vague without an interface config or the exact device or nic you are trying
to connect.

2012/4/15 graham <graham [at] g-rock>

> Hi there,
>
> Anyone out there still using this older switch? I just pulled one out of
> the closet - and having a heck of a time getting the switchports to
> actually
> link up at 1Gb. I have a couple of 1Gb capable devices (servers, other
> routers, etc) that do 1Gb all day long on other Cisco switches - but not on
> the 3550-12T. Remember, this is the switch that has (10) 10/100/1000
> BaseTX
> and (2) 1000 Gbic slots ..
>
> I have tried to put the copper interface into "speed auto 1000" as well as
> "speed 1000" (with the other side matching) and always results in a
> not-connect. The command 'speed nonegotiate' doesn't exist.
>
> Seems that 100-Full is the best I can get it.
>
> It's running the last IOS for it, c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
>
> -graham

graham at g-rock

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have verified the cable and as much
physical as possible; I have it linked to other 1Gb ports on other switches
just fine. It's decent 5e straight-through cabling. But will return
tomorrow with new cabling.

Jeff Kell mentioned the "speed auto" command. I will try that as well.

Peter R, I will try that IOS load if I can't make any progress - but with
you, I am thinking that I need to 100% confirm that physical is 100%.

-graham

On 4/15/12 6:59 PM, "John van Oppen" <jvanoppen [at] spectrumnet> wrote:

> You sure your cabling is good? I have seen this issue when there are 100
> mbit/sec crossover cables involved (ie only crossing over two of the pairs)
> built or something similar. We use lots of 3550-12Ts to this day and they
> are still quite decent if they fit what you need.
>
> In your position, I would probably blame it on cabling and start there with
> any investigation.
>
> John

graham at g-rock

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

Hi Keegan,

It will only link with this type of config:

CR1-ORL1#show running-config interface gigabitEthernet 0/1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 145 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access
speed auto 100 1000
duplex full
spanning-tree portfast

I have tried "speed auto" or "speed 1000" and it won't link. With the speed
subcommands, I have changed the duplex (like duplex auto) as well with no
prevail.

Other end has been two different HP Proliant Servers and a Mikrotik RB1100AH
router. The servers were set to auto, and the MT I played around with the
speed/duplex hardset and auto. I have tested these against a 3560G and can
link up @ 1Gb no problem. One of the server is on gi0/2 right now, set to
auto and it's doing 100/full (auto).

I will go back to the physical layer tomorrow and try new cabling (as I am
accessing the switch remotely right now). I will try another port as well.

Thanks for the hints,

-graham

On 4/15/12 7:09 PM, "Keegan Holley" <keegan.holley [at] sungard> wrote:

> I have a bunch of these in the lab and haven't had a problem.  Have you tried
> enabling auto-negotiation?  Have you tried changing port?  Also, what is the
> other side set for?  What does it say?  The problem sounds kind of vague
> without an interface config or the exact device or nic you are trying to
> connect.
>
> 2012/4/15 graham <graham [at] g-rock>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Anyone out there still using this older switch?  I just pulled one out of
>> the closet - and having a heck of a time getting the switchports to actually
>> link up at 1Gb.  I have a couple of 1Gb capable devices (servers, other
>> routers, etc) that do 1Gb all day long on other Cisco switches - but not on
>> the 3550-12T.  Remember, this is the switch that has (10) 10/100/1000 BaseTX
>> and (2) 1000 Gbic slots ..
>>
>> I have tried to put the copper interface into "speed auto 1000" as well as
>> "speed 1000" (with the other side matching) and always results in a
>> not-connect. The command 'speed nonegotiate' doesn't exist.
>>
>> Seems that 100-Full is the best I can get it.
>>
>> It's running the last IOS for it, c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin.
>>
>> Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>>
>> -graham

petelists at templin

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

On 4/15/12 5:09 PM, graham wrote:

> I have tried to put the copper interface into "speed auto 1000" as well as
> "speed 1000" (with the other side matching) and always results in a
> not-connect. The command 'speed nonegotiate' doesn't exist.

Helping you grasp at straws: have you tried 'mdix auto' on both sides?

pt

keegan.holley at sungard

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

Have you tried removing all commands related to spd/dup on both ends and seeing what it negotiates? Also you haven't mentioned what's on the other end or how its configured.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 15, 2012, at 6:09 PM, graham <graham [at] g-rock> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Anyone out there still using this older switch? I just pulled one out of
> the closet - and having a heck of a time getting the switchports to actually
> link up at 1Gb. I have a couple of 1Gb capable devices (servers, other
> routers, etc) that do 1Gb all day long on other Cisco switches - but not on
> the 3550-12T. Remember, this is the switch that has (10) 10/100/1000 BaseTX
> and (2) 1000 Gbic slots ..
>
> I have tried to put the copper interface into "speed auto 1000" as well as
> "speed 1000" (with the other side matching) and always results in a
> not-connect. The command 'speed nonegotiate' doesn't exist.
>
> Seems that 100-Full is the best I can get it.
>
> It's running the last IOS for it, c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
>
> -graham

graham at g-rock

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

Hi Keegan,

Yes - the default is auto/auto on both ends, which results in the link
showing down. I can only get the link up if I hardcode the interface to
100.

I did reply back to the list earlier from your initial response, with
regards to the other ends:

"Other end has been two different HP Proliant Servers and a Mikrotik
RB1100AH router. The servers were set to auto, and the MT I played around
with the speed/duplex hardset and auto. I have tested these against a 3560G
and can link up @ 1Gb no problem. One of the server is on gi0/2 right now,
set to auto and it's doing 100/full (auto)."

With that, I am going to change out the cabling and go from there. It's the
same cabling that I have used on the 3560G ... But maybe there is still
something wrong with it ...

Thanks,

-graham

On 4/15/12 9:44 PM, "Keegan Holley" <keegan.holley [at] sungard> wrote:

> Have you tried removing all commands related to spd/dup on both ends and
> seeing what it negotiates? Also you haven't mentioned what's on the other end
> or how its configured.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

graham at g-rock

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

Hi Pete,

I don't seem to have that command. It appears that is already set, no?

Thanks,

-graham

On 4/15/12 8:46 PM, "Pete Templin" <petelists [at] templin> wrote:

> On 4/15/12 5:09 PM, graham wrote:
>
>> I have tried to put the copper interface into "speed auto 1000" as well as
>> "speed 1000" (with the other side matching) and always results in a
>> not-connect. The command 'speed nonegotiate' doesn't exist.
>
> Helping you grasp at straws: have you tried 'mdix auto' on both sides?
>
> pt

jvanoppen at spectrumnet

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

Are you saying that the link does not come up with both ends in auto/auto? At least on copper, that would indicate to me that you either have a bad switch or bad cabling... Are you sure the unit you have is good? I am plugged into a 3550-12T here at home with a few machines and auto works fine with every nic I have tried.

John

keegan.holley at sungard

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

I agree with that. If it doesn't link at all with auto auto then the link pulse frames that control speed negotiation are some how hindered. Since you have three different devices exhibiting the same behavior on newer code I would even skip to the switch being bad.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 16, 2012, at 3:55 AM, John van Oppen <jvanoppen [at] spectrumnet> wrote:

> Are you saying that the link does not come up with both ends in auto/auto? At least on copper, that would indicate to me that you either have a bad switch or bad cabling... Are you sure the unit you have is good? I am plugged into a 3550-12T here at home with a few machines and auto works fine with every nic I have tried.
>

> John

graham at g-rock

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

Correct - doesn't even link with auto/auto. Can only get it to link at 100.

I am armed with new cabling and try to rule out the physical.

Nothing in the init process that is indicating any bad phy or anything of
the sort - I am hoping it's not a bad switch.

Thanks for all the replies.

-graham

On 4/16/12 5:50 AM, "Keegan Holley" <keegan.holley [at] sungard> wrote:

> I agree with that. If it doesn't link at all with auto auto then the link
> pulse frames that control speed negotiation are some how hindered. Since you
> have three different devices exhibiting the same behavior on newer code I
> would even skip to the switch being bad.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 16, 2012, at 3:55 AM, John van Oppen <jvanoppen [at] spectrumnet> wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that the link does not come up with both ends in auto/auto?
>> At least on copper, that would indicate to me that you either have a bad
>> switch or bad cabling... Are you sure the unit you have is good? I am
>> plugged into a 3550-12T here at home with a few machines and auto works fine
>> with every nic I have tried.
>>

>> John

lee.t.starnes at gmail

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

If I had to guess, there is something wrong with the switch. We have 12 of
those in service and all connecting to servers with Gig. Some are AUTO and
some are hard coded to 1000 full duplex. Ours are running IOS image:
c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-13.EA1a.bin or c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-22.EA1a.bin

-Lee

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 5:16 AM, graham <graham [at] g-rock> wrote:

> Correct - doesn't even link with auto/auto. Can only get it to link at 100.
>
> I am armed with new cabling and try to rule out the physical.
>
> Nothing in the init process that is indicating any bad phy or anything of
> the sort - I am hoping it's not a bad switch.
>
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> -graham
>

> On 4/16/12 5:50 AM, "Keegan Holley" <keegan.holley [at] sungard> wrote:
>
> > I agree with that. If it doesn't link at all with auto auto then the
> link
> > pulse frames that control speed negotiation are some how hindered.
> Since you
> > have three different devices exhibiting the same behavior on newer code I
> > would even skip to the switch being bad.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On Apr 16, 2012, at 3:55 AM, John van Oppen <jvanoppen [at] spectrumnet>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Are you saying that the link does not come up with both ends in
> auto/auto?
> >> At least on copper, that would indicate to me that you either have a bad
> >> switch or bad cabling... Are you sure the unit you have is good? I
> am
> >> plugged into a 3550-12T here at home with a few machines and auto works
> fine
> >> with every nic I have tried.
> >>

> >> John

graham at g-rock

Re: C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb [In reply to]

I was finally able to get back to it today. Brand new cabling made the
other end devices link up at 1000.

I confirmed that the previously used cable can still link up 1Gb on a 3560G,
with the same devices. So, are the phy interfaces on the 3550-12T just that
much more sensitive to a possible impedance issue? I guess so, eh?

Thanks to all that responded!

-graham