traffic is going to upper layer (ASR9010) and going back to ASR9000v ?

Rob

lists at hojmark

Re: ASR9000v and distance [In reply to]

1) Not currently
2) Yes
3) There is no local switching

-A

Sent from my tablet; excuse brevity

On 07/04/2012, at 13.59, Robert Hass <robhass [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi
> I have three questions regarding ASR9000v deployments:
>
> 1) Can I connect one ASR9000v to two ASR9010 (to have redundancy). If
> yes are these ASR9010 have to be direct interconnected ?
> 2) Can ASR9000v be eg. 200-300KM away from ASR9010 (10GE over DWDM).
> 3) Are ASR9000v providing local switching between GE ports or all
> traffic is going to upper layer (ASR9010) and going back to ASR9000v ?
>
> Rob

aledm at qix

Re: ASR9000v and distance [In reply to]

The ASR9000v satellite doesn't sound like much of an improvement over
simply trunking to a conventional L2 switch and having each switchport
presented as a separate VLAN to the router for L3 processing.

The ability to manage it all with one instance of IOS might be simpler but
using discrete L2 switches seems to have a lot more flexibility.

What am I missing?

Aled

On 7 April 2012 12:30, Asbjorn Hojmark <lists [at] hojmark> wrote:

> 1) Not currently
> 2) Yes
> 3) There is no local switching
>
> -A
>
> Sent from my tablet; excuse brevity
>
> On 07/04/2012, at 13.59, Robert Hass <robhass [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have three questions regarding ASR9000v deployments:
> >
> > 1) Can I connect one ASR9000v to two ASR9010 (to have redundancy). If
> > yes are these ASR9010 have to be direct interconnected ?
> > 2) Can ASR9000v be eg. 200-300KM away from ASR9010 (10GE over DWDM).
> > 3) Are ASR9000v providing local switching between GE ports or all
> > traffic is going to upper layer (ASR9010) and going back to ASR9000v ?
> >
> > Rob

ck-lists at cksoft

Re: ASR9000v and distance [In reply to]

Hi,

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012, Asbjorn Hojmark wrote:

> 1) Not currently
> 2) Yes
> 3) There is no local switching

Do you know if or when the NV network virtualisation feature for the as9000 will be available for use.

I found the whitepapers on the web but could not find any Documentation in the current IOS XR Configration guides.

Either the feature is not available yet or my google foo is lacking the appropriate seeding ;)

Greetings
Christian Kratzer
CK Software GmbH

> -A
>
> Sent from my tablet; excuse brevity
>
> On 07/04/2012, at 13.59, Robert Hass <robhass [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I have three questions regarding ASR9000v deployments:
>>
>> 1) Can I connect one ASR9000v to two ASR9010 (to have redundancy). If
>> yes are these ASR9010 have to be direct interconnected ?
>> 2) Can ASR9000v be eg. 200-300KM away from ASR9010 (10GE over DWDM).
>> 3) Are ASR9000v providing local switching between GE ports or all
>> traffic is going to upper layer (ASR9010) and going back to ASR9000v ?
>>
>> Rob

Christian Kratzer CK Software GmbH
Email: ck [at] cksoft Wildberger Weg 24/2
Phone: +49 7032 893 997 - 0 D-71126 Gaeufelden
Fax: +49 7032 893 997 - 9 HRB 245288, Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Web: http://www.cksoft.de/ Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian Kratzer

lists at hojmark

Re: ASR9000v and distance [In reply to]

It should be available Very Soon Now(tm) ;-)

You really should bug your local account team for details on availability and roadmap.

This is very cool tech, IMO.

On 09/04/2012, at 11.34, Christian Kratzer <ck-lists [at] cksoft> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2012, Asbjorn Hojmark wrote:
>
>> 1) Not currently
>> 2) Yes
>> 3) There is no local switching
>
> Do you know if or when the NV network virtualisation feature for the as9000 will be available for use.
>
> I found the whitepapers on the web but could not find any Documentation in the current IOS XR Configration guides.
>
> Either the feature is not available yet or my google foo is lacking the appropriate seeding ;)
>
> Greetings
> Christian Kratzer
> CK Software GmbH

lists at hojmark

Re: ASR9000v and distance [In reply to]

nV is like being able to take a line card out of the ASR 9000 and move it to a remote location. You get full-featured ports (incl. L2, L3, HQoS, MPLS, VPLS etc.), all managed like any other port on the router, just located at a remote site

Sure, you could transport services in L2 to a remote switch, but that's not really the same thing. I think of this as an alternative to buying a separate router to place on the remote site.

And no, nV is not (currently) all that one could hope for, like redundant uplinks are missing. I'm sure that will improve over time. (At least, that's what marketecture like this says: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns524/ns562/ns592/asr_nv_100611.pdf)

On 07/04/2012, at 16.50, Aled Morris <aledm [at] qix> wrote:

> The ASR9000v satellite doesn't sound like much of an improvement over simply trunking to a conventional L2 switch and having each switchport presented as a separate VLAN to the router for L3 processing.
>
> The ability to manage it all with one instance of IOS might be simpler but using discrete L2 switches seems to have a lot more flexibility.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Aled
>
> On 7 April 2012 12:30, Asbjorn Hojmark <lists [at] hojmark> wrote:
> 1) Not currently
> 2) Yes
> 3) There is no local switching
>
> -A
>
> Sent from my tablet; excuse brevity
>
> On 07/04/2012, at 13.59, Robert Hass <robhass [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have three questions regarding ASR9000v deployments:
> >
> > 1) Can I connect one ASR9000v to two ASR9010 (to have redundancy). If
> > yes are these ASR9010 have to be direct interconnected ?
> > 2) Can ASR9000v be eg. 200-300KM away from ASR9010 (10GE over DWDM).
> > 3) Are ASR9000v providing local switching between GE ports or all
> > traffic is going to upper layer (ASR9010) and going back to ASR9000v ?
> >
> > Rob

ck-lists at cksoft

Re: ASR9000v and distance [In reply to]

Hi,

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012, Asbjorn Hojmark wrote:

> nV is like being able to take a line card out of the ASR 9000 and move it to a remote location. You get full-featured ports (incl. L2, L3, HQoS, MPLS, VPLS etc.), all managed like any other port on the router, just located at a remote site
>
> Sure, you could transport services in L2 to a remote switch, but that's not really the same thing. I think of this as an alternative to buying a separate router to place on the remote site.

yes it's all looking really hot.

> And no, nV is not (currently) all that one could hope for, like redundant uplinks are missing. I'm sure that will improve over time. (At least, that's what marketecture like this says: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns524/ns562/ns592/asr_nv_100611.pdf)

yes that's the one paper all googling ends up at.

I do not care too much about having to manage one or multiple chassis.

What I find interesting though is getting rid of hsrp, vrrp, glbp and all other next hop redundancy shims while having redundant uplinks to multiple chassis. Sort of like multichassis port-channels in Vss.

I am not sure yet what can of worms this opens though as I am still lacking understanding of new IOS XR concepts.

Seems we do not have to worry about vlan id signifance so much as IOS XR just pushes and pops vlan ids from subinterfaces.

Lets just hope this all comes together and we will find a way to transition smoothly ;)

Greetings
Christian

> -A
>
> Sent from my tablet; excuse brevity
>
> On 07/04/2012, at 16.50, Aled Morris <aledm [at] qix> wrote:
>
>> The ASR9000v satellite doesn't sound like much of an improvement over simply trunking to a conventional L2 switch and having each switchport presented as a separate VLAN to the router for L3 processing.
>>
>> The ability to manage it all with one instance of IOS might be simpler but using discrete L2 switches seems to have a lot more flexibility.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Aled
>>
>> On 7 April 2012 12:30, Asbjorn Hojmark <lists [at] hojmark> wrote:
>> 1) Not currently
>> 2) Yes
>> 3) There is no local switching
>>
>> -A
>>
>> Sent from my tablet; excuse brevity
>>
>> On 07/04/2012, at 13.59, Robert Hass <robhass [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I have three questions regarding ASR9000v deployments:
>>>
>>> 1) Can I connect one ASR9000v to two ASR9010 (to have redundancy). If
>>> yes are these ASR9010 have to be direct interconnected ?
>>> 2) Can ASR9000v be eg. 200-300KM away from ASR9010 (10GE over DWDM).
>>> 3) Are ASR9000v providing local switching between GE ports or all
>>> traffic is going to upper layer (ASR9010) and going back to ASR9000v ?
>>>
>>> Rob

Christian Kratzer CK Software GmbH
Email: ck [at] cksoft Wildberger Weg 24/2
Phone: +49 7032 893 997 - 0 D-71126 Gaeufelden
Fax: +49 7032 893 997 - 9 HRB 245288, Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Web: http://www.cksoft.de/ Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian Kratzer

anzolex at gmail

Re: ASR9000v and distance [In reply to]

The ASR9K nV technology will simplify your NGN Carrier Ethernet
Architecture by reducing the complexity of constantly growing L2/L3
Access networks used for MPLS L2/L3 VPN Services Aggregation.