Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

ASN32 in Netflow (6500 / 12.2SX)

david.freedman at uk

Mar 13, 2012, 2:02 AM

ASN32 in Netflow (6500 / 12.2SX)

Not seeing this in SXI3,

Whilst doing some reading (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6554/ps6599/data_sheet_C78-521821.html) , I came across:
"The initial release supports all existing BGP features including IPv4, IPv6, VPNv4, and VPNv6 address and sub-address families, with the exception of "IOS NetFlow""

This initial release is billed as SXI1, does anybody happen to know in which SX release netflow support can (and should) be found?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/features.html (release notes) are not helpful

Dave.

p.mayers at imperial

Mar 13, 2012, 3:44 AM

Re: ASN32 in Netflow (6500 / 12.2SX) [In reply to]

On 13/03/12 09:02, David Freedman wrote:
> Not seeing this in SXI3,

Are you using Netflow v9?

(I have no idea if it's supported, but I'm certain that, if it is, it
will require v9)

nick at foobar

Mar 13, 2012, 3:58 AM

Re: ASN32 in Netflow (6500 / 12.2SX) [In reply to]

On 13/03/2012 10:44, Phil Mayers wrote:
> (I have no idea if it's supported, but I'm certain that, if it is, it will
> require v9)

+1

nf <9 hardcodes the as fields to be 16 bits. It's a TLV in netflow v9.

Nick

gert at greenie

Mar 13, 2012, 4:03 AM

Re: ASN32 in Netflow (6500 / 12.2SX) [In reply to]

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:58:17AM +0000, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 13/03/2012 10:44, Phil Mayers wrote:
> > (I have no idea if it's supported, but I'm certain that, if it is, it will
> > require v9)
>
> +1
>
> nf <9 hardcodes the as fields to be 16 bits. It's a TLV in netflow v9.

Now this is going to be interesting. Has anybody tested how "the usual
suspect software" reacts when fed with netflow v9 flows with 32bit ASNs?

gert

//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert [at] greenie
fax: +49-89-35655025 gert [at] net

simon.leinen at switch

Mar 13, 2012, 10:17 AM

Re: ASN32 in Netflow (6500 / 12.2SX) [In reply to]

Phil Mayers writes:
> On 13/03/12 09:02, David Freedman wrote:
>> Not seeing this in SXI3,

> Are you using Netflow v9?

> (I have no idea if it's supported, but I'm certain that, if it is, it
> will require v9)

I'm pretty sure that on the Catalyst 6500, Netflow export for 4-byte
ASes is not supported until 15.0(1)SY1:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15.0SY/release_notes.html#wp4838634

Phil is right in that you do need Netflow v9. I think you also need the
newer "FlexFlow" implementation of Netflow that Cisco did for the
Supervisor 2T. I have no idea whether they intend to "backport" this to
older Supervisors - I suspect that these Netflow implementations are
quite different internally.
--
Simon.