Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

WRED thresholds and queue-limit

tkacprzynski at spencerstuart

Jan 25, 2012, 11:50 AM

WRED thresholds and queue-limit

Hello,
Is this a valid configuration of WRED, where the queue-limit is set to
64 packets (default), the WRED Min Threshold is 100 (packets) and Max
threshold is 400 (packets)? Would this configuration defeat the whole
purpose of using WRED, as the average queue depth will never reach 100
packets (min threshold) and tail drop at 64? Am I understanding this
correctly?

Basically in my opinion the queue-limit should be set to at least what
the WRED Max Threshold is set to. If it is set to 64 while the WRED
Minimum Threshold is 100 no packets will be randomly dropped and just
tailed dropped after they reach the 64 packet size limit.

<sample output>
R1#sh policy-map int gi0/0 out
GigabitEthernet0/0

Service-policy output: test-pmap

Class-map: test1 (match-all)
0 packets, 0 bytes
5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
Match: none
Queueing
queue limit 64 packets
(queue depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0
(pkts output/bytes output) 0/0
bandwidth 30000 kbps
Exp-weight-constant: 9 (1/512)
Mean queue depth: 0 packets