Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

How to pass VLAN through router

paveldimow at gmail

Feb 12, 2011, 9:13 AM

How to pass VLAN through router

Is this possible at all? I ended in pretty ugly scenario (for a short
time period I hope) where I must pass VLAN through router (yes router
not L3 switch). The scenario is:

SW1-----trunk-----R1-----trunk-----R2-----trunk-----L3SWITCH

I don't have control over SW1 and R1, but I do know that I have trunk
from my R2 to other side R1 for sure (I already terminate one VLAN on
R2). Now, I need somehow to get VLAN from other side (SW1) to L3SWITCH
where I will setup a SVI.

Any thoughts? How router behaves considering VLANs? Is it only
possible to terminate vlan on subinterface and no vlan passing? It is
logical to me, because router is a router not a switch (in my case R2
is Cisco ASR). And IF router will pass VLAN over trunk interfaces how
do I control which VLANs are allowed to pass over which interface?

jon at bovre

Feb 12, 2011, 9:46 AM

Re: How to pass VLAN through router [In reply to]

Ideas that might be possible:

If R1 and R2 are MPLS enabled: use EoMPLS
If not MPLS: L2TPv3 could be used between R1 and R2

Jon Harald Bøvre

Sent from my iPad

On 12. feb. 2011, at 18:13, Pavel Dimow <paveldimow [at] gmail> wrote:

> Is this possible at all? I ended in pretty ugly scenario (for a short
> time period I hope) where I must pass VLAN through router (yes router
> not L3 switch). The scenario is:
>
> SW1-----trunk-----R1-----trunk-----R2-----trunk-----L3SWITCH
>
> I don't have control over SW1 and R1, but I do know that I have trunk
> from my R2 to other side R1 for sure (I already terminate one VLAN on
> R2). Now, I need somehow to get VLAN from other side (SW1) to L3SWITCH
> where I will setup a SVI.
>
> Any thoughts? How router behaves considering VLANs? Is it only
> possible to terminate vlan on subinterface and no vlan passing? It is
> logical to me, because router is a router not a switch (in my case R2
> is Cisco ASR). And IF router will pass VLAN over trunk interfaces how
> do I control which VLANs are allowed to pass over which interface?

wargo1 at gmail

Feb 12, 2011, 1:16 PM

Re: How to pass VLAN through router [In reply to]

Could you perhaps use a bridge group? We can bridge traffic from a physical
interface to a wireless controller module. Perhaps you could have a sub
interface on each of the physical interfaces for the VLAN using the bridge
group. How about something like this:

interface FastEthernet0/0
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.5
description Wireless RF-Video
encapsulation dot1Q 5
bridge-group 5
!
interface FastEthernet0/1.5
encapsulation dot1Q 5
bridge-group 5
!
interface BVI5
description Optional IP for troubleshooting / management
ip address 172.16.240.43 255.255.255.0
!
bridge 5 protocol ieee
bridge 5 route ip

> Is this possible at all? I ended in pretty ugly scenario (for a short
> time period I hope) where I must pass VLAN through router (yes router
> not L3 switch). The scenario is:
>
> SW1-----trunk-----R1-----trunk-----R2-----trunk-----L3SWITCH
>
> I don't have control over SW1 and R1, but I do know that I have trunk
> from my R2 to other side R1 for sure (I already terminate one VLAN on
> R2). Now, I need somehow to get VLAN from other side (SW1) to L3SWITCH
> where I will setup a SVI.
>
> Any thoughts? How router behaves considering VLANs? Is it only
> possible to terminate vlan on subinterface and no vlan passing? It is
> logical to me, because router is a router not a switch (in my case R2
> is Cisco ASR). And IF router will pass VLAN over trunk interfaces how
> do I control which VLANs are allowed to pass over which interface?

dhooper at gold

Feb 13, 2011, 12:52 AM

Re: How to pass VLAN through router [In reply to]

Try bridging 2 dot1q sub interfaces together .. I have a vague memory of doing this somewhere before and it worked.

Is this possible at all? I ended in pretty ugly scenario (for a short time period I hope) where I must pass VLAN through router (yes router not L3 switch). The scenario is:

SW1-----trunk-----R1-----trunk-----R2-----trunk-----L3SWITCH

I don't have control over SW1 and R1, but I do know that I have trunk from my R2 to other side R1 for sure (I already terminate one VLAN on R2). Now, I need somehow to get VLAN from other side (SW1) to L3SWITCH where I will setup a SVI.

Any thoughts? How router behaves considering VLANs? Is it only possible to terminate vlan on subinterface and no vlan passing? It is logical to me, because router is a router not a switch (in my case R2 is Cisco ASR). And IF router will pass VLAN over trunk interfaces how do I control which VLANs are allowed to pass over which interface?

nncooper at yahoo

Feb 13, 2011, 12:26 PM

Re: How to pass VLAN through router [In reply to]

If you don't need to access the vlan at the intermediary routers a psudo-wire
may work.

I have only used them via mpls but understand they work with encapsulation
l2tpv2 or 3 as well.