Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Phones not Registering on CME

Hyoun.Kim at chartercom

Dec 29, 2009, 3:31 PM

Phones not Registering on CME

I get a call from some users at a remote site who are finally connecting
the last series of phones to the CME I set up months ago. They said
that only 1 of the 4 phones are working.

The 3 phones (all 7962s) are stuck in the "Configuring IP" state and
will not do anything else. I've double-checked my configuration and I
have correctly provisioned all the phones & their MAC addresses in the
configuration.

Digging deeper, it seems that the 3 phones that are not getting the
correct IP address. I set up the DHCP pool to be 10.10.10.X/24. All
the functioning phones are obtaining the proper IP addresses but the 3
non-functioning phones are getting a 10.10.3.xxx address (so the user
tells me). Doing a show cdp neighbor details command on the ports show
that there are no IP addresses associated with those ports.
Furthermore, the Version of phone shows up as "79XX_default_load" rather
than "SCCP42.8-3-2S" on all the other functioning phones. The port
configurations are identical on all ports.

Do you guys have any ideas? I'm using SCCP for my phone system. My CME
version is 7.1.

________________________________

Hyoun Kim * Network Administrator I - East Division

640 Broadmor Blvd * Suite 80 * Murfreesboro, TN 37129

' 615.217.6245 * ' 859.312.6941 * 7 615.217.6255 * *
Hyoun.Kim [at] chartercom <mailto:Hyoun.Kim [at] chartercom>

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

The contents of this e-mail message and
any attachments are intended solely for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient of this message
or if this message has been addressed to you
in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message
and any attachments. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
or storage of this message or any attachment
is strictly prohibited.
Attachments: image001.jpg (1.94 KB)

jeff at cia

Dec 29, 2009, 7:51 PM

Re: Phones not Registering on CME [In reply to]

It sounds to me like your phones are in the wrong vlan, thus getting the
wrong IP address and quite possible the wrong or no option 150 information?

If your end users go into the phone settings what Voice/Data vlan is it
claiming to have? Could it be pointing to something other than the CME you
think its hitting? Find out from the phone itself which CM / tftp / dhcp
server its communicating with.

If the phone is stuck in configuring IP I'd question what the phone is
learning from DHCP, which may be controlled by the vlan and any respective
helper addresses.

-Jeff

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Kim, Hyoun S <Hyoun.Kim [at] chartercom>wrote:

> I get a call from some users at a remote site who are finally connecting
> the last series of phones to the CME I set up months ago. They said that
> only 1 of the 4 phones are working.
>

> The 3 phones (all 7962s) are stuck in the Configuring IP state and will
> not do anything else. Ive double-checked my configuration and I have
> correctly provisioned all the phones & their MAC addresses in the
> configuration.
>

> Digging deeper, it seems that the 3 phones that are not getting the correct
> IP address. I set up the DHCP pool to be 10.10.10.X/24. All the
> functioning phones are obtaining the proper IP addresses but the 3
> non-functioning phones are getting a 10.10.3.xxx address (so the user tells
> me). Doing a show cdp neighbor details command on the ports show that there
> are no IP addresses associated with those ports. Furthermore, the Version
> of phone shows up as 79XX_default_load rather than SCCP42.8-3-2S on all
> the other functioning phones. The port configurations are identical on all
> ports.
>

> Do you guys have any ideas? Im using SCCP for my phone system. My CME
> version is 7.1.
>

> [image: 2C_CharLogo_Tag_CMYK]
> ------------------------------
>
> *Hyoun Kim** ** *Network Administrator I East Division
>
> 640 Broadmor Blvd * *Suite 80 * *Murfreesboro, TN 37129
>
> ' 615.217.6245 * *' 859.312.6941 ** 7 615.217.6255 * **
> Hyoun.Kim [at] chartercom
>

> E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
>

> The contents of this e-mail message and
> any attachments are intended solely for the
> addressee(s) and may contain confidential
> and/or legally privileged information. If you
> are not the intended recipient of this message
> or if this message has been addressed to you
> in error, please immediately alert the sender
> by reply e-mail and then delete this message
> and any attachments. If you are not the
> intended recipient, you are notified that
> any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
> or storage of this message or any attachment
> is strictly prohibited.

Attachments: image001.jpg (1.94 KB)

Marcin_Nowacki at sevenet

Dec 29, 2009, 11:28 PM

Re: Phones not Registering on CME [In reply to]

Try factory reset, If phones will still stuck, It must be DHCP considerations or maybe you are missing vlan on second layer ( check vlan database ).

Marcin

[...]

[cid:image001.jpg [at] 01CA892A]
________________________________
Hyoun Kim * Network Administrator I - East Division
640 Broadmor Blvd * Suite 80 * Murfreesboro, TN 37129
' 615.217.6245 * ' 859.312.6941 * 7 615.217.6255 * * Hyoun.Kim [at] chartercom<mailto:Hyoun.Kim [at] chartercom>

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

The contents of this e-mail message and

any attachments are intended solely for the

addressee(s) and may contain confidential

and/or legally privileged information. If you

are not the intended recipient of this message

or if this message has been addressed to you

in error, please immediately alert the sender

by reply e-mail and then delete this message

and any attachments. If you are not the

intended recipient, you are notified that

any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,

or storage of this message or any attachment

is strictly prohibited.

________________________________
S?d Rejonowy Gda?sk - P??noc w Gda?sku, VII Wydzia? Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru S?dowego KRS: 0000308826, NIP: 583-22-02-053 Kapita? zak?adowy: 588.000,00
Zawarto?? tej wiadomo?ci zawiera informacje zastrze?one, stanowi?ce tajemnic? firmy SEVENET S.A. Nieuprawnione wykorzystanie tych informacji do w?asnych cel?w lub ich ujawnianie osobom trzecim jest zabronione. W przypadku omy?kowego otrzymania tej wiadomo?ci prosimy o jej trwa?e skasowanie oraz powiadomienie o tym fakcie nadawcy informacji.
This e-mail content contains confidential information, and is the property of SEVENET S.A. Any illegal use of this information for personal purposes or any disclosure to other persons or entities is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message please delete this e-mail and inform the sender about it.
Attachments: image001.jpg (1.94 KB)

changkyun.chang at gmail

Dec 29, 2009, 11:45 PM

Re: Phones not Registering on CME [In reply to]

I had a similar experience for my office. some of the IP phones (7961)
received the data vlan ip address(vlan 103 in this case) instead of
voice vlan (vlan 223). during the troubleshooting I found the CPU
utilization of my switch was almost 98%. the packet was flooded within
the voice vlan.

On 2009-12-30 ?? 4:28, :

> Try factory reset, If phones will still stuck, It must be DHCP
> considerations or maybe you are missing vlan on second layer ( check
> vlan database ).
>
> Marcin

abucho at gmail

Dec 30, 2009, 4:00 AM

Re: Phones not Registering on CME [In reply to]

Did you check the cabling? I had a somewhat similar problem where a 7911 IP
Phone received IP address from the data vlan range. I connected the IP Phone
directly on the switch port and found out that it works fine then I
connected it to another wall outlet and again it worked fine so the problem
was on the cable running from the switch to the wall outlet.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Changkyun Chang <changkyun.chang [at] gmail

Hyoun.Kim at chartercom

Dec 30, 2009, 6:14 AM

Re: Phones not Registering on CME [In reply to]

I this particular office, there is only 2 VLANs. 1, which the data rides on (I didn’t set this up, otherwise I would’ve changed it). And 100, which established for VoIP.

When I do a show spanning-tree on the interfaces of the switch where the phones are connected, it shows that the PC is on VLAN 1 and the phone is on VLAN 100. That’s why I’m not sure why it’s not getting the proper IP address.

I’ve tried to get the end user to do a hard reset, but she seems oblivious to my instructions. So I might have to make a trip out there myself. It’s a 2.5 hour drive. Ugh…

Before I do that though, I’m going to have her do what you guys mentioned. Checking the VLAN on the phone or try a different port to verify that it is the cabling.

Hyoun Kim

Network Administrator I

Charter Media - East Division

640 Broadmor Blvd, Suite 80

Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Email: Hyoun.Kim [at] chartercom

Office: 615.217.6245

On 2009-12-30 오후 4:28, :

[...]

Zawartość tej wiadomości zawiera informacje zastrzeżone, stanowiące tajemnicę firmy SEVENET S.A. Nieuprawnione wykorzystanie tych informacji do własnych celów lub ich ujawnianie osobom trzecim jest zabronione. W przypadku omyłkowego otrzymania tej wiadomości prosimy o jej trwałe skasowanie oraz powiadomienie o tym fakcie nadawcy informacji.
[...]

ray at oneunified

Dec 30, 2009, 6:31 AM

Re: Phones not Registering on CME [In reply to]

If this is a new phone, sometimes you have to configure the switch port for the voice vlan only (swi acc vlan $vlan) and without all the other groovy phone stuff, let the phone initialize, and then you can trunk the port.

On 2009-12-30 오후 4:28, :

_____

[...]

dangerous content by <http://www.mailscanner.info/> MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.