Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

Gigabit Interface Input Errors

drew.weaver at thenap

Nov 5, 2009, 10:41 AM

Gigabit Interface Input Errors

Hi,

I noticed I'm seeing some Input errors on a gigabit ethernet interface:

the number of input errors seems to increment along with the overrun counter which I assume means that the actual errors are overrun errors.

Does anyone have any tips on finding out what is causing it to overrun?

My first inclination is to assume it is not a huge problem because of the amount of packets that are flowing through this interface:

2367831951 packets input, 247924231216 bytes, 0 no buffer 70 out of 2367831951 is a fairly small number but I wanted to check and see if you all had any thoughts.

thanks,
-Drew

synack at live

Nov 5, 2009, 10:53 AM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Drew,

Overruns are usually caused by the receiving hardware buffer being "flooded" for lack of a better term because the input rate exceeded the
receiver's ability to handle the traffic.

Darin

> From: drew.weaver [at] thenap

> To: cisco-nsp [at] puck
> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:41:16 -0500
> Subject: [c-nsp] Gigabit Interface Input Errors
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed I'm seeing some Input errors on a gigabit ethernet interface:
>
> 70 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 70 overrun, 0 ignored
>
> the number of input errors seems to increment along with the overrun counter which I assume means that the actual errors are overrun errors.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on finding out what is causing it to overrun?
>
> My first inclination is to assume it is not a huge problem because of the amount of packets that are flowing through this interface:
>
> 2367831951 packets input, 247924231216 bytes, 0 no buffer 70 out of 2367831951 is a fairly small number but I wanted to check and see if you all had any thoughts.
>
> thanks,
> -Drew

drew.weaver at thenap

Nov 5, 2009, 10:58 AM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Thanks for responding,

As far as you're aware is there a way to check the hardware buffer to see if this is the case, and is this buffer usually per line card, or per slot (both/either?)

-Drew

Overruns are usually caused by the receiving hardware buffer being "flooded" for lack of a better term because the input rate exceeded the receiver's ability to handle the traffic.

Darin

> From: drew.weaver [at] thenap

> To: cisco-nsp [at] puck
> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:41:16 -0500
> Subject: [c-nsp] Gigabit Interface Input Errors
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed I'm seeing some Input errors on a gigabit ethernet interface:
>
> 70 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 70 overrun, 0 ignored
>
> the number of input errors seems to increment along with the overrun counter which I assume means that the actual errors are overrun errors.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on finding out what is causing it to overrun?
>
> My first inclination is to assume it is not a huge problem because of the amount of packets that are flowing through this interface:
>
> 2367831951 packets input, 247924231216 bytes, 0 no buffer 70 out of 2367831951 is a fairly small number but I wanted to check and see if you all had any thoughts.
>
> thanks,
> -Drew

adrian.minta at gmail

Nov 5, 2009, 10:58 AM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Drew Weaver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed I'm seeing some Input errors on a gigabit ethernet interface:
>
> 70 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 70 overrun, 0 ignored
>
> the number of input errors seems to increment along with the overrun counter which I assume means that the actual errors are overrun errors.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on finding out what is causing it to overrun?
>
> My first inclination is to assume it is not a huge problem because of the amount of packets that are flowing through this interface:
>
> 2367831951 packets input, 247924231216 bytes, 0 no buffer 70 out of 2367831951 is a fairly small number but I wanted to check and see if you all had any thoughts.
>
> thanks,
> -Drew

ASA firewall ?

--
Best regards,
Adrian Minta

drew.weaver at thenap

Nov 5, 2009, 11:11 AM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Nah this particular instance it is one interface in a 3GE-GBIC-SC in a GSR.

thanks,
-Drew

> I noticed I'm seeing some Input errors on a gigabit ethernet interface:
>
> 70 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 70 overrun, 0 ignored
>
> the number of input errors seems to increment along with the overrun counter which I assume means that the actual errors are overrun errors.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on finding out what is causing it to overrun?
>
> My first inclination is to assume it is not a huge problem because of the amount of packets that are flowing through this interface:
>
> 2367831951 packets input, 247924231216 bytes, 0 no buffer 70 out of 2367831951 is a fairly small number but I wanted to check and see if you all had any thoughts.
>
> thanks,
> -Drew

ASA firewall ?

--
Best regards,
Adrian Minta

synack at live

Nov 5, 2009, 11:19 AM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Unfortunately I don't know of anyway to check the hardware buffer(s), and my "guess" is per line card.

I would also run a "show process cpu" while the overruns incrementing (if you can) to see if the utilization is above 90%. I've heard of this causing overruns in the past. I haven't experienced it myself though.

Overruns are usually caused by the receiving hardware
buffer being "flooded" for lack of a better term because the input
rate exceeded the receiver's ability to handle the traffic.

Darin

> From: drew.weaver [at] thenap

> To: cisco-nsp [at] puck

> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:41:16 -0500

> Subject: [c-nsp] Gigabit Interface Input Errors

> Hi,

> I noticed I'm seeing some Input errors on a gigabit ethernet interface:

> 70 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 70 overrun, 0 ignored

> the number of input errors seems to increment along with the overrun
counter which I assume means that the actual errors are overrun errors.

> Does anyone have any tips on finding out what is causing it to overrun?

> My first inclination is to assume it is not a huge problem because of the
amount of packets that are flowing through this interface:

> 2367831951 packets input, 247924231216 bytes, 0 no buffer 70 out of
2367831951 is a fairly small number but I wanted to check and see if you all
had any thoughts.

> thanks,

> -Drew

Bing
brings you maps, menus, and reviews organized in one place. Try it now.

drew.weaver at thenap

Nov 5, 2009, 11:39 AM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

The only time the CPU utilization is above 10% on this system is when BGP Scanner runs, and it was my understanding that BGP scanner shouldn't cause any issues with traffic.

-Drew

________________________________
From: drew.weaver [at] thenap
To: synack [at] live; cisco-nsp [at] puck
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:58:06 -0500
Thanks for responding,

As far as you're aware is there a way to check the hardware buffer to see if this is the case, and is this buffer usually per line card, or per slot (both/either?)

-Drew

Overruns are usually caused by the receiving hardware buffer being "flooded" for lack of a better term because the input rate exceeded the receiver's ability to handle the traffic.

Darin

> From: drew.weaver [at] thenap

> To: cisco-nsp [at] puck
> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:41:16 -0500
> Subject: [c-nsp] Gigabit Interface Input Errors
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed I'm seeing some Input errors on a gigabit ethernet interface:
>
> 70 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 70 overrun, 0 ignored
>
> the number of input errors seems to increment along with the overrun counter which I assume means that the actual errors are overrun errors.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on finding out what is causing it to overrun?
>
> My first inclination is to assume it is not a huge problem because of the amount of packets that are flowing through this interface:
>
> 2367831951 packets input, 247924231216 bytes, 0 no buffer 70 out of 2367831951 is a fairly small number but I wanted to check and see if you all had any thoughts.
>
> thanks,
> -Drew

nils.kolstein at sscplus

Nov 5, 2009, 12:32 PM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

What's the utilization on the other 2 interfaces? I am not familiar with
this specific platform, but it might also be caused by slot/backplane
limitations causing packets to be dropped if the total BW exceeds a certain
(non line-rate) value. I have seen this behaviour on some platforms.

Regards,

Nils Kolstein

gert at greenie

Nov 5, 2009, 12:38 PM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 01:41:16PM -0500, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Does anyone have any tips on finding out what is causing it to overrun?

"Hardware too slow error" - packets arrive in short bursts at line rate,
and your router cannot handle that.

For example, an NPE-G1 will handle packets at, say, 300 mbit/sec if they
1000 packets arrive back-to-back and then a longer pause, it will overrun
the buffers.

There's not much you can do, except "get a hardware forwarding box"
or "just accept it, and only worry if the errors increase more frequently".

We do some of both :-)

gert
//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert [at] greenie
fax: +49-89-35655025 gert [at] net

rwest at zyedge

Nov 5, 2009, 1:10 PM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Hi,

.

> There's not much you can do, except "get a hardware forwarding box"
> or "just accept it, and only worry if the errors increase more
> frequently".

Hopefully I'm not completing high-jacking here, but I have seen similar issues on the 4500 w/WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 line cards. The fabric has 6gbps per slot, so the oversubscription is 8:1. The best tell tale sign that I'm hitting oversubscription are input errors with no CRC or overruns, like below:

30 second input rate 6394000 bits/sec, 719 packets/sec
30 second output rate 722000 bits/sec, 481 packets/sec
770898484 packets input, 957181248327 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 594832 broadcasts (560167 multicast)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
455543646 packets output, 153140605424 bytes, 0 underruns

Is there a more systematic approach to detecting this? I've gone through some docs and most useful information is geared toward the 6500, such as http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801751d7.shtml#ASIC. Currently I have to use a combination of interface statistics and historical Cacti graphs to narrow down over-utilized port ranges.

Thanks,

-ryan

NMaio at guesswho

Nov 5, 2009, 1:24 PM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Ryan,
I have similar problems with 4500s so I keep a close eye on the detailed counters. In particular I watch the transmit drops and also the receive buffer stats. Pauses frames also indicate a problem in our environment and I would expect in some other environments. It's a long output but I have always found it very helpful since the reason for the input/output errors are not always evident in a show interface output.

show int counters detail

Port Tx-Drops-Queue-1 Tx-Drops-Queue-2 Tx-Drops-Queue-3 Tx-Drops-Queue-4
Gi5/34 0 0 0 0
Gi5/35 0 0 0 0
Gi5/36 0 0 0 0
Gi5/37 0 0 0 0
Gi5/38 0 0 0 0
Gi5/39 0 0 0 0
Gi5/40 0 0 0 0
Gi5/41 0 0 0 0
Gi5/42 0 0 0 0
Gi5/43 0 0 0 0
Gi5/44 0 0 0 0
Gi5/45 0 0 0 0
Gi5/46 0 0 0 0
Gi5/47 0 0 0 0
Gi5/48 0 0 0 0
Gi7/1 21257797383 0 0 0

show int counters detail
..
Port Rx-No-Pkt-Buff RxPauseFrames TxPauseFrames PauseFramesDrop
Gi4/26 0 0 0 0
Gi4/27 0 0 0 0
Gi4/28 0 0 0 0
Gi4/29 0 0 0 0
Gi4/30 0 0 0 0
Gi4/31 0 0 0 0
Gi4/32 0 107830 0 0
Gi4/33 0 0 346468 0
Gi4/34 0 0 0 0
Gi4/35 0 0 0 0
Gi4/36 0 0 0 0
Gi4/37 0 0 9056 0
Gi4/38 0 0 0 0
Gi4/39 0 0 0 0
Gi4/40 0 0 240746 0
Gi4/41 1548 0 0 0
Gi4/42 0 0 1390048 0

Nick

> bounces [at] puck] On Behalf Of Gert Doering
> Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:39 PM
.

> There's not much you can do, except "get a hardware forwarding box"
> or "just accept it, and only worry if the errors increase more
> frequently".

Hopefully I'm not completing high-jacking here, but I have seen similar issues on the 4500 w/WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 line cards. The fabric has 6gbps per slot, so the oversubscription is 8:1. The best tell tale sign that I'm hitting oversubscription are input errors with no CRC or overruns, like below:

30 second input rate 6394000 bits/sec, 719 packets/sec
30 second output rate 722000 bits/sec, 481 packets/sec
770898484 packets input, 957181248327 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 594832 broadcasts (560167 multicast)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
455543646 packets output, 153140605424 bytes, 0 underruns

Is there a more systematic approach to detecting this? I've gone through some docs and most useful information is geared toward the 6500, such as http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801751d7.shtml#ASIC. Currently I have to use a combination of interface statistics and historical Cacti graphs to narrow down over-utilized port ranges.

Thanks,

-ryan

rwest at zyedge

Nov 5, 2009, 1:56 PM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Nick,

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

> show int counters detail
>
> Port Tx-Drops-Queue-1 Tx-Drops-Queue-2 Tx-Drops-Queue-3 Tx-
> Drops-Queue-4
> 0
> Gi7/1 21257797383 0 0
> 0
>
> show int counters detail
> ..
> Port Rx-No-Pkt-Buff RxPauseFrames TxPauseFrames
> PauseFramesDrop
> 0
> Gi4/32 0 107830 0
> 0
> Gi4/37 0 0 9056
> 0
> Gi4/38 0 0 0
> 0
> Gi4/39 0 0 0
> 0
> Gi4/40 0 0 240746
> 0
> Gi4/41 1548 0 0
> 0
> Gi4/42 0 0 1390048
> 0
>
> Nick

-ryan

drew.weaver at thenap

Nov 6, 2009, 4:55 AM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

The card in total when I last added everything all up is doing about 1.9Gbps and 1.4Mpps

-Drew

What's the utilization on the other 2 interfaces? I am not familiar with
this specific platform, but it might also be caused by slot/backplane
limitations causing packets to be dropped if the total BW exceeds a certain
(non line-rate) value. I have seen this behaviour on some platforms.

Regards,

Nils Kolstein

ivan at ig

Nov 13, 2009, 1:50 AM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Hi folks,

Does anybody know what causes the router to drop packets as
overrun and what as an input queue drops. There are two show interface
examples of NPE-G1, both with input hold-queue set to 4096. The first
one only shows 153 overrun packets, in the second interface output
you can see overruns together with input queue drops:

GigabitEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up
Input queue: 0/4096/0/58537 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/4096 (size/max)
2609205324 packets input, 3131277093 bytes, 6 no buffer
Received 2871721 broadcasts (0 IP multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 2 throttles
0 watchdog, 2871721 multicast, 0 pause input

GigabitEthernet0/3 is up, line protocol is up
Input queue: 0/4096/4258004/961350 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 44638280
Queueing strategy: Class-based queueing
Output queue: 6/4096/0 (size/max total/drops)
2503236491 packets input, 208082741 bytes, 589462 no buffer
Received 1329388071 broadcasts (13 IP multicasts)
0 runts, 12 giants, 960 throttles
128042 input errors, 12 CRC, 0 frame, 128018 overrun, 0 ignored
0 watchdog, 1424143105 multicast, 0 pause input

Thanks
Ivan

On Thursday 05 November 2009 21:38:53 Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 01:41:16PM -0500, Drew Weaver wrote:
> > Does anyone have any tips on finding out what is causing it to
> > overrun?
>
> "Hardware too slow error" - packets arrive in short bursts at line rate,
> and your router cannot handle that.
>
> For example, an NPE-G1 will handle packets at, say, 300 mbit/sec if they
> 1000 packets arrive back-to-back and then a longer pause, it will
> overrun the buffers.
>
> There's not much you can do, except "get a hardware forwarding box"
> or "just accept it, and only worry if the errors increase more
> frequently".
>
> We do some of both :-)
>
> gert

sigurbjornl at vodafone

Nov 13, 2009, 1:59 AM

Re: Gigabit Interface Input Errors [In reply to]

Do a show controller Gi0/1 | i rx_resource

Chances are the input error count is the same as the rx_resource_error count

This is a microburst issue, and sadly, I know of no way to get around it,
the only solution is buying a router that is able to handle wirespeed Gig

BR,
Sibbi