Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

destination-pattern "T" question

turunc.mehmet at gmail

Jun 23, 2009, 2:44 AM

destination-pattern "T" question

Hi all,

I was studying Cisco Voice over IP (CVOICE) -Kevin Wallace 2009- and didn't
understand this example, so I'm confused. Probably a newbee issue:)

Router(config)#dial-peer voice 90 pots
Router(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 9T
Router(config-dial-peer)#port 0/0/0:23
Router(config-dial-peer)#exit
Router(config)#dial-peer voice 90110 pots
Router(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 9011T
Router(config-dial-peer)#port 0/0/1:23

And the explanation:

The following steps describe what occurs during the call in this example.
1. A user wants to call the international number 90114989123456 and starts
to dial.
2. Because the first digit received is a 9, the gateway performs dial-peer
matching.
3. Dial-peer 90 is matched, and any further digits are collected by the
control character
T that indicates the destination-pattern value is a variable-length dial
string. (WHY? why doesnt longest prefix match?)
4. The user finishes dialing, and the call is routed using dial-peer 90.
Dial-peer 90110
will never be considered.

For en bloc signaling, the DNIS is used, so the process is as follows:
1. A user wants to call the international number 90114989123456 and starts
to dial.
2. Because en bloc signaling is enabled, the gateway continues to collect
digits until the
interdigit timeout value is exceeded.
3. The user finishes dialing, and the call is routed using dial-peer 90110.

Thanks for the help

dew.swen at gmail

Jun 24, 2009, 1:12 PM

Re: destination-pattern "T" question [In reply to]

Well, let me tell u.

Matching occurs digit by digit unless en-bloc is not been configured.

The number is "90114989123456"

When it is press to 9, none of the dial peers are matched.

After 0 is pressed dial-peer 90 is matched beacuse of T parameter which
collects all digits. However, dial-peer 90110 still does not match.

If dial-peer 90 does not exist, dial-peer 90110 matches "after all the 9011
digits are pressed, and another digit is pressed".

On the other hand, if en-bloc is enabled, all digits are sent at the same
time. So 9T and 9011T are being processed at the same time. Because being a
longer prefix, dial-peer 90110 matches.

Hope it is clear.

Regards,
*
-
Dew Swen*

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Mehmet Turunc <turunc.mehmet [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was studying Cisco Voice over IP (CVOICE) -Kevin Wallace 2009- and didn't
> understand this example, so I'm confused. Probably a newbee issue:)
>
> Router(config)#dial-peer voice 90 pots
> Router(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 9T
> Router(config-dial-peer)#port 0/0/0:23
> Router(config-dial-peer)#exit
> Router(config)#dial-peer voice 90110 pots
> Router(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 9011T
> Router(config-dial-peer)#port 0/0/1:23
>
> And the explanation:
>
> The following steps describe what occurs during the call in this example.
> 1. A user wants to call the international number 90114989123456 and starts
> to dial.
> 2. Because the first digit received is a 9, the gateway performs dial-peer
> matching.
> 3. Dial-peer 90 is matched, and any further digits are collected by the
> control character
> T that indicates the destination-pattern value is a variable-length dial
> string. (WHY? why doesnt longest prefix match?)
> 4. The user finishes dialing, and the call is routed using dial-peer 90.
> Dial-peer 90110
> will never be considered.
>

> For en bloc signaling, the DNIS is used, so the process is as follows:
> 1. A user wants to call the international number 90114989123456 and starts
> to dial.
> 2. Because en bloc signaling is enabled, the gateway continues to collect
> digits until the
> interdigit timeout value is exceeded.
> 3. The user finishes dialing, and the call is routed using dial-peer 90110.
>
> Thanks for the help

turunc.mehmet at gmail

Jun 25, 2009, 1:17 AM

Re: destination-pattern "T" question [In reply to]

Thanx for the reply Dew. I understand the general idea of your response. But
I couldn't understand some points.

When I open "debug dial-peer voice" debugging, and after that starting to
dial digits, digit by digit matching happens. So, does it mean "by default
digit by digit analysis happens"?

For enabling en-bloc signaling which command should i use? I couldn't find
more specific details.

dew.swen at gmail

Jun 30, 2009, 10:47 AM

Re: destination-pattern "T" question [In reply to]

Mehmet,

CUCM sends all digits at the same time, but legacy analog phones sends digit
by digit.

*-
Dew Swen
*