Mailing List Archive: Cisco: VOIP

Router or Call Manager

jmcneal at vtg

Mar 13, 2009, 3:33 AM

Router or Call Manager

I had a remote site change locations I had to change the IP address and phone number. I made the change to the router and the point to point VPN is working. I also made the change in call manager. When they plug in the telephone line the line rings once and then you get a busy signal when you call. Do I need to look at call manager or the router?

Thanks,
Jeff

pwalenta at wi

Mar 13, 2009, 4:14 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

That sounds like an RTP routing issue. I'd verify that whatever subnet is
originating the call to the the phone in question can ping that phone.

_____

I had a remote site change locations I had to change the IP address and
phone number. I made the change to the router and the point to point VPN is
working. I also made the change in call manager. When they plug in the
telephone line the line rings once and then you get a busy signal when you
call. Do I need to look at call manager or the router?

Thanks,
Jeff

jmcneal at vtg

Mar 13, 2009, 5:18 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

I can get to the phone and gateway. Would it be a translation issue?

________________________________

I had a remote site change locations I had to change the IP address and
phone number. I made the change to the router and the point to point
VPN is working. I also made the change in call manager. When they plug
in the telephone line the line rings once and then you get a busy signal
when you call. Do I need to look at call manager or the router?

Thanks,
Jeff

peter.slow at gmail

Mar 13, 2009, 5:26 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

Oops, keeping it on-list. sorry for spamming you Jeff =)

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Jeffrey S. McNeal <jmcneal [at] vtg> wrote:
> I had a remote site change locations I had to change the IP address and
> phone number.  I made the change to the router and the point to point VPN is
> working.  I also made the change in call manager.  When they plug in the
> telephone line the line rings once and then you get a busy signal when you
> call.  Do I need to look at call manager or the router?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

peter.slow at gmail

Mar 13, 2009, 5:26 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

Oops, keeping it on-list. sorry for spamming you Jeff =)

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Peter Slow <peter.slow [at] gmail> wrote:
> what change did you make to the router, exactly?
>
> is it an MGCP or h.323 gateway, and can we see the configuration?
>
> -Peter

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Jeffrey S. McNeal <jmcneal [at] vtg> wrote:
> I had a remote site change locations I had to change the IP address and
> phone number.  I made the change to the router and the point to point VPN is
> working.  I also made the change in call manager.  When they plug in the
> telephone line the line rings once and then you get a busy signal when you
> call.  Do I need to look at call manager or the router?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

jmcneal at vtg

Mar 13, 2009, 5:28 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

No problems:

I changed the external IP address, default gateway, and route outside and also the POTS phone line number. That is all I changed. I also change the translation in the Call manager to match the number in the router.

Oops, keeping it on-list. sorry for spamming you Jeff =)

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Peter Slow <peter.slow [at] gmail> wrote:
> what change did you make to the router, exactly?
>
> is it an MGCP or h.323 gateway, and can we see the configuration?
>
> -Peter

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Jeffrey S. McNeal <jmcneal [at] vtg> wrote:
> I had a remote site change locations I had to change the IP address and
> phone number.  I made the change to the router and the point to point VPN is
> working.  I also made the change in call manager.  When they plug in the
> telephone line the line rings once and then you get a busy signal when you
> call.  Do I need to look at call manager or the router?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

peter.slow at gmail

Mar 13, 2009, 5:30 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

Jeff,
what kind of gateway do you have it defined as in callmanager? h.323 or MGCP?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Jeffrey S. McNeal <jmcneal [at] vtg> wrote:
> No problems:
>
> I changed the external IP address, default gateway, and route outside and also the POTS phone line number.  That is all I changed.  I also change the translation in the Call manager to match the number in the router.

jmcneal at vtg

Mar 13, 2009, 5:31 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

h.323

what kind of gateway do you have it defined as in callmanager? h.323 or MGCP?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Jeffrey S. McNeal <jmcneal [at] vtg> wrote:
> No problems:
>
> I changed the external IP address, default gateway, and route outside and also the POTS phone line number.  That is all I changed.  I also change the translation in the Call manager to match the number in the router.

peter.slow at gmail

Mar 13, 2009, 5:37 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

on your router, get into enable mode and log all of your output usign
your telnet/ssh client.
enter these commands:
config t
no logging console
end
term mon
debug h225 asn1
debug h225 eve
debug h225 q931
debug h245 asn1
debug ip tcp transaction

....make a test call, capture all output, do "undebug all" and send us
the output along with your configuration.

Or we could just start with your gateway configuration =)
Also, please tell us the "name" of the gateway in CCM. This should
look like/be and IP address.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Jeffrey S. McNeal <jmcneal [at] vtg> wrote:
> h.323

jmcneal at vtg

Mar 13, 2009, 6:02 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

It is attached and the gateway ip address is 10.3.12.254

on your router, get into enable mode and log all of your output usign
your telnet/ssh client.
enter these commands:
config t
no logging console
end
term mon
debug h225 asn1
debug h225 eve
debug h225 q931
debug h245 asn1
debug ip tcp transaction

....make a test call, capture all output, do "undebug all" and send us
the output along with your configuration.

Or we could just start with your gateway configuration =)
Also, please tell us the "name" of the gateway in CCM. This should
look like/be and IP address.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Jeffrey S. McNeal <jmcneal [at] vtg> wrote:
> h.323

Attachments: vbRiverside030409_adjustedA.txt (12.0 KB)

peter.slow at gmail

Mar 13, 2009, 6:18 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

What interface is your callmanager reachable out of?
Please send the output of

sh ip route 10.2.1.21

- i see your default configured but it seems that EIGRP is in use too
so i an ttell what interface your traffic is going out.
Is this h.323 call being NAT'd?

Please remove
ip inspect name firewall h323
from your config for the time being, for troubleshooting purposes, and
then try a test call.

-Pete

jmcneal at vtg

Mar 13, 2009, 6:25 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

Routing entry for 10.2.1.0/24
Known via "eigrp 10", distance 90, metric 297246976, type internal
Redistributing via eigrp 10
Last update from 10.1.2.93 on Tunnel0, 00:30:57 ago
Routing Descriptor Blocks:
* 10.1.2.93, from 10.1.2.93, 00:30:57 ago, via Tunnel0
Route metric is 297246976, traffic share count is 1
Total delay is 500100 microseconds, minimum bandwidth is 9 Kbit
Reliability 255/255, minimum MTU 1476 bytes

What interface is your callmanager reachable out of?
Please send the output of

sh ip route 10.2.1.21

- i see your default configured but it seems that EIGRP is in use too
so i an ttell what interface your traffic is going out.
Is this h.323 call being NAT'd?

Please remove
ip inspect name firewall h323
from your config for the time being, for troubleshooting purposes, and
then try a test call.

-Pete

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Jeffrey S. McNeal <jmcneal [at] vtg> wrote:
> It is attached and the gateway ip address is 10.3.12.254

peter.slow at gmail

Mar 13, 2009, 6:41 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

Wonderful, no nat or crypto stuff on that interface.

the h.323 bound interface still has the virtual assembly stuff on it
though, and while i wont ask you to remove that, I still think we
should turn off inspection of h.323 through that router befoer
collecting debugs.

you should turn on detailed CCM tracing, and ensure that h.245 message
tracing is enabled in addition to everything else. you dont need to
colelct them right away, i can look at whichever is easier for you, if
you'd like.

Please don't delete any lines from the CCM traces or IOS debugs - if
you're concerned about privacy you can send them directly to me =)

-Pete

peter.slow at gmail

Mar 13, 2009, 11:04 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

ah cool. sorry, there was no way i couldda gotten that for ya =)

in the future,
debug h225 asn1
and
debug h225 q931
would help you identify that was the problem very quickly, assuming
you are having that same prob with another h.323 gw somewhere down the
road.

Your calling party heard alerting tone because in your scenario, it is
played to the PSTN by the router momentarily, as the router is trying
to set the call up with the callmanager.

-Pete

peter.slow at gmail

Mar 13, 2009, 11:16 AM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

> Your calling party heard alerting tone because in your scenario, it is
> played to the PSTN by the router momentarily, as the router is trying
> to set the call up with the callmanager.

...But don't quote me on that, Since actually, the gateway might've
waited for an h.225 alerting message from CUCM before playing
alerting, and that shouldnt have happened if you entered an invalid
number.

...Anyone here know for sure at what point an FXO h.323 gateway
sending an inbound call from the PSTN to CUCM would play alerting tone
to the calling party?
I'd expect it to wait for an alerting msg from CUCM.

-Pete

matthnick at gmail

Mar 14, 2009, 12:27 PM

Re: Router or Call Manager [In reply to]

In the reverse direction sending a call out the FXO ringback is cut
through immediately.

In this case you probably get ring back because CUCM sends an alerting
while it is looking for the number, and it takes a few seconds to
realize that you've dialed the wrong number. I would expect to
receive a progress and alerting almost immediately followed by a
release complete with unallocated/unassigned number cause code just a
little bit after that. This is given that you're sending the number
in the wrong format (numbers of digits, prefix, etc).

-nick