Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

7206 Gig Ethernet Options

isplists at duracom

Mar 2, 2009, 12:04 PM

7206 Gig Ethernet Options

We are in the process of migrating from ATM Circuits at our locations to
point to point fiber. I have a Cisco 7206vxr with NPE-G2 so currently I
have 3 GigE ports over Copper and have the option to add SFP's if need be to
go to fiber. If I need more GigE ports in this Chassis are the only options
to add a PA-GE? I read where a PA-GE will not support the copper gigabit?

Joe

billw at waveform

Mar 2, 2009, 12:26 PM

Re: 7206 Gig Ethernet Options [In reply to]

AFAIK, the PA-GE is only available supporting a GBIC, so there is no
native copper interface. I've never tried using a 1000b-T GBIC in a PA-GE
before, but I wouldn't count on it working -- Cisco only lists the PA-GE
as supporting optical GBICs.

Depending on your application, you might be able to use a switch as a
"media converter" to convert from something like gig-SX from the PA-GE to
a gigabit copper port. If you don't need the router to see multiple VLANs
it's easy to just put a copper port and an optical port on the same VLAN
in a switch and use the two ports like a media converter. While not an
elegant solution, it does work.

-Bill

> We are in the process of migrating from ATM Circuits at our locations to
> point to point fiber. I have a Cisco 7206vxr with NPE-G2 so currently I
> have 3 GigE ports over Copper and have the option to add SFP's if need be
> go to fiber. If I need more GigE ports in this Chassis are the only
> options
> to add a PA-GE? I read where a PA-GE will not support the copper gigabit?
>

> Joe

Gregori.Parker at theplatform

Mar 2, 2009, 12:52 PM

Re: 7206 Gig Ethernet Options [In reply to]

PA-GE is the only available option for more GE ports on the
7206vxr...and it's one interface per module and 1000b-TX GBICs work just
fine in the slot.

AFAIK, the PA-GE is only available supporting a GBIC, so there is no
native copper interface. I've never tried using a 1000b-T GBIC in a
PA-GE
before, but I wouldn't count on it working -- Cisco only lists the PA-GE
as supporting optical GBICs.

Depending on your application, you might be able to use a switch as a
"media converter" to convert from something like gig-SX from the PA-GE
a gigabit copper port. If you don't need the router to see multiple
VLANs
it's easy to just put a copper port and an optical port on the same VLAN
in a switch and use the two ports like a media converter. While not an
elegant solution, it does work.

-Bill

> We are in the process of migrating from ATM Circuits at our locations
> point to point fiber. I have a Cisco 7206vxr with NPE-G2 so currently
> have 3 GigE ports over Copper and have the option to add SFP's if need
be
> go to fiber. If I need more GigE ports in this Chassis are the only
> options
> to add a PA-GE? I read where a PA-GE will not support the copper
gigabit?

> Joe

lowen at pari

Mar 2, 2009, 1:13 PM

Re: 7206 Gig Ethernet Options [In reply to]

I have used a copper GBIC (WS-G5483) with a 7500 and a GEIP+ before. But not
with a GEIP (VIP2-50+PA-GE). It may work, though.

The 'official' answer is in
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html

But, that document doesn't show the WS-G5483 being supported by the GEIP+
(which I know works, because I've used it).

Likewise, Catalyst 5500 Gigabit EtherChannel module (WS-X5410) works with the
5483, but it's the only Catalyst 5000 series interface to do so (see below:
pari-5505-colo-1> (enable) sh mod
Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub Status
--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- --- --------
1 1 2 1000BaseX Supervisor IIIG WS-X5550 no ok
15 1 1 Route Switch Feature Card WS-F5541 no ok
2 2 2 1000BaseX Supervisor IIIG WS-X5550 no standby
16 2 1 Route Switch Feature Card WS-F5541 no ok
3 3 Gigabit Ethernet Ext WS-X5410
4 4 9 Gigabit Ethernet WS-X5410 no ok
5 5 24 10/100BaseTX Ethernet WS-X5225R no ok
ari-5505-colo-1> (enable) sh port
Port Name Status Vlan Level Duplex Speed Type
----- ------------------ ---------- ---------- ------ ------ -----
------------
1/1 notconnect 1 normal full 1000 No
Connector
1/2 connected trunk normal full 1000 1000-LX/LH
[snip]
4/9 connected trunk normal full 1000 1000BaseT

The X5410 ports will work with 1000base-T, but the SupIIIG's ports will not,
nor will a X5403's (three-port gigabit ethernet).

So, grab a surplus 5483 on ebay and try it. It may work.

On Monday 02 March 2009 15:26:31 billw [at] waveform wrote:
> AFAIK, the PA-GE is only available supporting a GBIC, so there is no
> native copper interface. I've never tried using a 1000b-T GBIC in a PA-GE
> before, but I wouldn't count on it working -- Cisco only lists the PA-GE
> as supporting optical GBICs.
>
> Depending on your application, you might be able to use a switch as a
> "media converter" to convert from something like gig-SX from the PA-GE to
> a gigabit copper port. If you don't need the router to see multiple VLANs
> it's easy to just put a copper port and an optical port on the same VLAN
> in a switch and use the two ports like a media converter. While not an
> elegant solution, it does work.
>
> -Bill
>
> > We are in the process of migrating from ATM Circuits at our locations to
> > point to point fiber. I have a Cisco 7206vxr with NPE-G2 so currently I
> > have 3 GigE ports over Copper and have the option to add SFP's if need be
> > go to fiber. If I need more GigE ports in this Chassis are the only
> > options
> > to add a PA-GE? I read where a PA-GE will not support the copper
> > gigabit?
> >

> > Joe

Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
1 PARI Drive
Rosman, NC 28772
http://www.pari.edu

brandon at sterling

Mar 2, 2009, 3:27 PM

Re: 7206 Gig Ethernet Options [In reply to]

Actually, you can install a C7200-I/O-GE+E and save yourself a PA slot
and the associated bandwidth point hit.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/bba/101247

Brandon

Gregori Parker wrote:
> PA-GE is the only available option for more GE ports on the
> 7206vxr...and it's one interface per module and 1000b-TX GBICs work just
> fine in the slot.

David at hughes

Mar 2, 2009, 5:33 PM

Re: 7206 Gig Ethernet Options [In reply to]

On 03/03/2009, at 6:04 AM, Rhino Lists wrote:

> If I need more GigE ports in this Chassis are the only options
> to add a PA-GE? I read where a PA-GE will not support the copper
> gigabit?

Hi

Nope, that's not correct. We've run copper gbics in a pa-ge on 7206-
VXR / NPE-G1 before.

David

swmike at swm

Mar 2, 2009, 11:09 PM

Re: 7206 Gig Ethernet Options [In reply to]

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, David Hughes wrote:

> Nope, that's not correct. We've run copper gbics in a pa-ge on 7206-VXR
> / NPE-G1 before.

There is a difference between "it works" and "it's supported". Cisco do
not support copper GBICs in the PA-GE, but there are lots of success
stories that it still works (plenty of old threads regarding this).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike [at] swm

perc69 at gmail

Mar 3, 2009, 12:25 AM

Re: 7206 Gig Ethernet Options [In reply to]

Hi.

> If I need more GigE ports in this Chassis are the only options
> to add a PA-GE?  I read where a PA-GE will not support the copper gigabit?

You also have the option to use an external switch to aggregate
several GE links into the 7200. Of course do that limit the bandwidth
to the locations, but a 7200 will probably not do 3 x GE on full speed
any way... IMHO that's a better/safer solution than fiddeling with
unsupported combinations on PA-GE/GBICs.

--
Pelle

justin at justinshore

Mar 3, 2009, 1:38 PM

Re: 7206 Gig Ethernet Options [In reply to]

Brandon Price wrote:
> Actually, you can install a C7200-I/O-GE+E and save yourself a PA slot
> and the associated bandwidth point hit.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/bba/101247

Now that's something that I did not know. Any word on if this is
actually supported or not?

Justin

brandon at sterling

Mar 4, 2009, 9:16 AM

Re: 7206 Gig Ethernet Options [In reply to]

Justin Shore wrote:
> Brandon Price wrote:
>> Actually, you can install a C7200-I/O-GE+E and save yourself a PA
>> slot and the associated bandwidth point hit.
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/bba/101247
>
> Now that's something that I did not know. Any word on if this is
> actually supported or not?
>
> Justin

* From the NPE G1 datasheet: http://tinyurl.com/2hlzhg*

"Although a Cisco 7200VXR chassis with an NPE-G1 does not require the
use of an I/O controller, an I/O controller can still be used. The
NPE-G1 is supported with the following Cisco 7200 Series I/O controller
part numbers: C7200-I/O, C7200-I/O-2FE/E, C7200-I/O-GE+E."

Brandon