Mailing List Archive: Cisco: NSP

Help with debug commands to diagnose ADSL subscribers not connecting to a non-existent VRF

andy.saykao at staff

Feb 22, 2009, 4:30 PM

Help with debug commands to diagnose ADSL subscribers not connecting to a non-existent VRF

Hi There,

I'm trying to debug ppp packets on our LNS (NAS) for ADSL subscribers
when the VRF is not yet configured on the LNS.

When I set a bogus (non-existent) VRF in the Radius flat file, I woud
like to see what debug error messages appear on the LNS (if any).

vpntest3 Password = "network"
Service-Type = Framed-User,
Framed-Protocol = PPP,
Framed-Address = 10.15.100.4,
Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.255,
cisco-avpair="ip:vrf-id=Avpn-dummy",
cisco-avpair="ip:ip-unnumbered=lo100684",
cisco-avpair="ip:route=vrf Avpn-dummy 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
10.15.100.4"

Here we've got a VRF Avpn-dummy that has not been configured on the LNS
which results in the ADSL connection failing to connect.

I've got the follow debug running on the LNS.

lns5-mel#sh debug
PPP:
PPP protocol errors debugging is on
PPP protocol negotiation debugging is on
PPP packet display debugging is on
Radius protocol debugging is on
Radius packet protocol debugging is on

Condition 1: username vpntest3 [at] dbtes (0 flags triggered)

lns5-mel#
Feb 23 11:12:10.618 AEDT: vpntest3 [at] dbtes Debug: Condition 1, username
vpntest3 [at] dbtes triggered, count 1
Feb 23 11:12:10.630 AEDT: vpntest3 [at] dbtes Debug: Condition 1, username
vpntest3 [at] dbtes cleared, count 0

I am seeing the condition being met, but obviously I would like more
information as to what the error is.

I would have thought a "debug ppp negotiation" would help me out, but
it's not displaying anything.

Are there any other debug commands I've missed ???

Thanks,

Andy

Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this
email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Please note that
any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any

td_miles at yahoo

Feb 22, 2009, 5:46 PM

Re: Help with debug commands to diagnose ADSL subscribers not connecting to a non-existent VRF [In reply to]

Hi Andy,

The commands I have used in the past to see which VRF DSL conections are going into are:

deb aaa authentication
deb aaa per-user
deb ppp authentication
deb ppp negotiation
deb vpdn event
deb vtemplate
deb radius

They're probably not all required, I suspect VPDN & vtemplate should show you what you need.

regards,
Tony.